1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sunart Trip Report - Fishing At Loch Sunart In Scotland

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by deecee, Aug 27, 2009.

1. deecee

deecee Blenny

This report is a little late in the posting but I’ve finally managed to find some time

Well we finally managed to get a few days fishing. Went from the sublime to the ridiculous really. Took a lodge on Loch Sunart for seven days. It came with a fantastic boat included in the price

The boat
    [​IMG]

This was a real family occasion. My Dad, 81 years young, my son and my nephew. No wives, girlfriends or mothers in sight.

The lodge was superb. Three good bedrooms and a large lounge /diner with all mod cons. Patio doors led from the lounge to a veranda with a spectacular view over the loch.

View from lodge veranda

[​IMG]

Sunart is a long sea loch. This was our first visit and we were blown away by the fantastic scenery .The loch holds a variety of fish, most notably spurdog and large common skate. We aimed for the latter but could not get through the former but who’s complaining. Even the often incessant attacks of LSDs were welcome to anglers who wet their lines far too infrequently. We had more dogs than Battersea in its heyday!

Andrew with a dogfish

[​IMG]

We had nothing to match Harry’s exploits but had a good number of quality spurdogs mixed with LSDs, mackerel and small codling. Shame that the skate were so elusive but we will aim to change that next time

View along the Loch

[​IMG]

All in all a fantastic week . A typical day would start with Dad and me producing full English for the two lazy youngsters. The boat would then be readied and we’d be off for a bit of mackerel fishing for bait - but on light tackle so the bait gathering was enjoyable in itself. That would be followed by anchoring in over 100 m of water and the lowering of whole flappers for the skate. You can imagine the expletives when the bouncing of the rod forced us to reel in a doggie that had taken the flapper and a 10/0 hook! A 100m retrieve for a one pound dogfish is not the best return for the effort! Eventually the LSDs would disappear . “Great “, we’d say, “there are bigger fish moving in “. Unfortunately it was never the skate but rather some cracking spurdogs that gave a good fight

Matty with spurdog

[​IMG]

Even in the shallower water drifting for other species we were “plagued" with the spurs. The first we’d know about it would be when a good bite developed into a good pull and then …… nothing. We’d reel up to find the 40lb trace line bitten right through. Lessons were soon learned and that was the signal for a change to bigger hooks to 150 lb / 200lb nylon. Anything less and they would bite through it like a knife though butter.

Some more spurdogs
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We’d taken a few pots with us and they were checked on the way back in. We were hoping for the odd lobster and some langoustines but had to make do with some decent crabs.

Grandad and grandsons

[​IMG]

Back at the lodge a walk along an adjacent jetty would reveal as many mussels as you could hope to eat. All you needed to do was bend down and pull them off the side of the jetty. Half a bucket full could be collected in seconds. They were the cleanest I’ve ever seen .

Whatever we were having for an evening meal we would always start with mussels or crab, and freshly grilled mackerel. Heaven!

The young’uns came home a lot fitter than they went ……. well you didn’t expect me or my Dad to haul that anchor up from 100m did you? Take it from me it looked like very hard work and its nice to see that the younger generation are good for something.

We were blessed with calm hot weather for the first few days and whilst it was wetter later in the week the conditions were always fishable

Where we did err was in taking far too few photos . We'll know better next time.

It was a fantastic break and one we hope to repeat next year.

Tight lines

Dave

2. mr lee

mr lee Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Re: Sunart Trip Report

Really good report and pictures mate.

Looks like a stunning place.

3. loz

loz Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

great report and pics for the skate try a 2lb pollock whole the dogs will leave it alone

4. bigbadcol

bigbadcol Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Cracking report with some great pictures wel ldone lads.

Col

5. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

thanks for a great report. it looks like a beautiful place

6. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

well done lads, looks like you had a cracking time

7. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

great report and fab photos its an area i would like to visit theres some good thornback fishing from the shore

8. GJW

GJW Rockling

Yea great report and adventure for you all, shame about the skate not showing but hey looks like you had a wonderful time all the same..

Tightlines

9. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Well done to you all Dave. Your father is doing well at 81 and still fishing, lets hope we can manage that. Shame about the lack of skate but I get the feeling you really enjoyed your trip. Also a holiday without females. Now thats a holiday I like the sound of.

10. brad

brad Blenny

Where abouts is Loch Sunart? Haven't I read somewhere whole that dogfish are used as bait for the skate?
    Stunning place,

11. deecee

deecee Blenny

Loch Sunart is in the Highlands - NW Scotland. Look for the Ardnamurchan peninsular on the map . It's a very long drive but well worth the effort
    Dogfish as bait for skate .... that's a new one on me . I wish we'd known because we would never have ran out of bait

12. deecee

deecee Blenny

Thanks Glenn. As we keep telling ourselves its about fishing not catching . On that basis we're really good fisherman. We could not have enjoyed it more . The lodge is really good value when considering that the boat and fuel is provided within the price. The owner's house is next door and they are very helpul and friendly . They also operate a charter boat but our little one was more than enough to keep us happy.

You're right about the lack of women. Some years back I would have considered a holiday without females as no holiday at all. Funny how one's outlook on life changes.

Dad's looking forward to going again next year unless a couple of cold wet nights on Whitby West see him off first . He's finding it more and more difficult to get fishing these days so a week's boat fishing is ideal . This boat was especially convenient as the bow winds down to provide walk on/ wheelchair access. Incidentally I reckon that it will also allow easier landing of that 200lb skate we're going to get next year

Cheers
    Dave

13. deecee

deecee Blenny

Yes I gather that there are some decent Thornbacks and that they are within easy casting distance .... mind you most places along this loch drop off into deep water only a few yards from shore.

Dad's not too good on his feet and we decided to stick to the boat and try for the biggies .

14. brad

brad Blenny

15. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Enjoyed reading that report mate, well done :happy:

16. brad

brad Blenny

17. Lindisfarne

Lindisfarne New Member

Nice report. It is a wonderfull place and you certainly seen a few fish on your trip. Looks like you were staying with Andy Jackson at Laga bay. We've stayed there before and hired a longliner for a few days. It would make a cracking base camp for a kayak meet with a support boat on hand as well. :wink:

There's a tagathon taking place on the loch in November. I'll bang up some details nearer the time for those that might be interested.

Neil.

18. deecee

deecee Blenny

Thanks for the links Brad - we'll try whole pollock or dogfish next time. The video shows exactly what we were hoping to catch - impressive indeed.

19. deecee

deecee Blenny

Yes Neil it was Andy Jackson's place at Laga. Andy was away on holiday when we were there but the rest of his family couldn't do too much to ensure that we had a great time .
    Andy has done away with his Longliners and has replaced them with "Pioner multi’s" . They are very spacious and stable boats . He has them fitted out with all the necessary safety equipment , radio and GPS/Fishfinder . Charts and advice are also provided
    As you say they also have a fast support boat on site which which can respond immediately to any distress call .
    Would no doubt be an ideal meeting venue for all you kayak fanatics - you would not always need to deal with anchoring in over 100m of water as there seem to be plenty of buoys around that you could tie up to

Dave

20. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

That is a very nice report, and some good photo,s as well it looks like you still had a good time , :yes: its good to get away from the women sometimes :wink: then you can concetrate on the fishing very well done to you all :cool: Harry