1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Summer festival...Real or fake?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Harlo from Darlo, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Harlo from Darlo

Harlo from Darlo Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Just a quick question regarding the past Summer festival winners?

Does anyone know if they were caught on bait i.e. Squid/mackerel or

were they taken on artificials i.e. shads or pirks/Rippers?

Good luck for tomorrow for those taking part.

2. tatch1

tatch1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Quick answer what fffffffffffffffffffffff lippin heck does it matter go fish & enjoy it

3. Harlo from Darlo

It doesn't matter one bit (to some people) I was just curious to find out as certain skippers always tell their customers that you need to be fishing with bait to get a biggie and with 5 grand at stake you want to be in with a good chance by using a proven method.

4. Jmeddy

Jmeddy Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Harlow , shads are fishing very we'll at the min mate . If your aiming for that biggie which I'm sure most will be , then take plenty of squid also there should be mackerel showing by now . If I was targeting the biggie it would be big fresh mackerel & squid bait . Good luck

5. wilky

wilky Blenny

I think the last decent halibut to come out of Whitby was on a 4" shad - 60/70 pound wasn't it? Anything can be good on the day and if you have a line in the water you have as much chance as the next person. Skill has a bit to do with it, but there is a huge element of luck as well

6. stickman

stickman There's a difference between fishing and catching!

In previous years I've had a 13 lb cod on a squid head and a 15 lb cod on a shad! The 15 lb fish only made it third place on that day but could easily have won on a different day - there is so much luck involved but the most consistent way of getting a big one is by going out with one of the more successful skippers and we all have our favourites ;)

If you are really aiming for a winner of the entire competition then, these days, it seems to be a big ling that most often wins and you are definitely more likely (but not certain) to get one of those on a big bait than an artificial.

7. fazbats

fazbats Blenny

Don't quite know if I agree with this! I recall fishing next to Killer a couple of years ago we were within 3 feet of each other both using Blue storm shads that Paul had given me and he was STILL out fishing me 3 to 1........... Was he just lucky? ;)

If I was fishing for a big ling then I don't think you can beat a big fresh mackerel bait

8. Harlo from Darlo

Don't quite know if I agree with this! I recall fishing next to Killer a couple of years ago we were within 3 feet of each other both using Blue storm shads that Paul had given me and he was STILL out fishing me 3 to 1........... Was he just lucky? ;)

Killers in a different league altogether mate...Even if you follow him like for like on the day he still batters you 3,4 or even 5 fish to 1.

It seems that your better of fishing bait for that festival winning fish.Squid and Mackie cocktails at the ready then.

9. Basshunter

Basshunter New Member

Fresh mackerel for big cod and ling takes some beating, and there have been days when i wouldn't have caught without it. I find that with ling in particular, a pouting flapper or even a big ball of guts loosely tied on with bait elastic can sometimes eke out big one when other baits can't, and they will take just about any kind of white fish. I did hear that halibut are quite partial to herring, but it's never done me any favours as a bait...

10. simon22

simon22 Rockling

Think the problem is if u only have one day at it then most will try to fill the fish box instead of hoping for the big one(myself included). I think it's better to book 2/3 days that way u can fish for the table but dedecate at least a day to big baits for big fish. Getting the time off work can be hard. If I really wanted to set out for a big one then whole mackerel would be my choice at this time of year. Plenty about so that's what they will be eating. I remember fishing with killer for ling and on the way up my empty hook was taken by a mackerel. Next drift the live mackerel went back down. In seconds it was taken but the ling was under 7 pounds. The fact it was taken so quickly I put down to it being a live bait. If anyone can come up with a fool prof way of keeping some baits alive I am sure that they would mostly out fish dead. Sure others will disagree. I find that flappers get nibbled by the host of pout and smaller fish where as a whole bait with just the tail removed to stop it spinning seems to last longer( again some will disagree). At time whole squid comes back with the head gone and I never seem to get bites if you just put the squid body on without the head. I am no expert just things that I have seen and done in the past

11. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Now normally i only give this this top secret imformation to my customers but if you want that chance of a big one RULE NUMBER ONE if you hook into something big you need the right traceline on the end of your line to land it NO LESS THAN 150lb mono a big ling has teeth like razorblades and with smash you very easy if your traceling is weak.

Rule number two if you point your rod at the fish with a braided line the fish has very good chance of smashing you allways keep your rod up high and let the fish lunge on your rod this takes the stress out of your traceling.
    Now in my book if you want that big ling Bait usually comes up trumps thats also counts for big cod the days of big shoals of big cod have gone big ling and big cod seem to be lazy and tend to go for a big squid baits laid quietly on bottom even big ling like it laid quiet the times you get big fish taking the bait when your sinker is fast in the wreck is nobodys buisness never go for quick break jig line around for a few moments then drop it slack then slowly pick the slack up the times a fish will be attracked to your bait flashing around when your sinker if fast is unbelievable the lad who won last years summer festival with me on Sea-Otter 2 caught it just like that .

Bait my favourite bait for a big ling bait is a full squid and the peice of mackeral laid next to it seems to have the edge i can remember fishing a wreck the ling were coming aboard in droves on bait nothing over 12lb then a lad put a 6" runbarb and custard sidewinder on and caught 2 ling one after the other both around the 15lb mark seemed a bit strange those lings didnt take the baits but wanted lures but as allways there aint any rules out there at times i once saw a lad catch a ling on squid then he gutted it and put its guts on his hook i chuckled to myself and said what the hell you doing he said watch i did and he caught 11 ling on that same set of guts mad but there you go thats fishing.

paul.

12. merman

merman Blenny

I was fishing next to Alan Ward on his boat a long time ago now, as usual he was kicking my arse. I said 'Your lucks in today Al'. He raised both his eyebrows and said with a wry smile ,'Is that what it is?'. Enough said. There is an element of luck involved but experience counts. You have to put the time in to be good at anything. Listen to the advice of your skipper, they really do know what's working best, big squid and mackerel cocktails take some beating on any day for big fish I reckon.

13. stickman

stickman There's a difference between fishing and catching!

Don't rely on catching mackerel for bait just yet - we were out last Friday on Mistress and they were few and far between! I spent quite a few drifts fishing for them and only got two. When we did hit a shoal they were gone as quickly as they appeared so must just be small shoals at present. A few were caught on baited Hokkis on the way back up but if you didn't get your feathers in smartish they were gone again!

My friend got a cod of 11lb 5oz on the very first drop of the day - with a shad! Nothing else was over four or five pounds that day - the day before the festival started - but we all bagged up on table sized fish ;D

14. Harlo from Darlo

Looks like you were right about fishing bait for the big un as the majority of the Money fish are Ling at the moment..Plenty of time yet though...Best of luck/Skill

15. Harlo from Darlo

A single Squid produces a 24lb 2oz Ling today in the Festerval....Bait for the biggies

16. Mick Gibson

Mick Gibson Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

And this is what the squid produced

Attached Files:

17. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Looks like its caught a Sea Urchin (Avante) Mick