1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Summer Cod fishing in North East Scotland... What a great week.

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by GJW, Jul 19, 2010.

1. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

Excellent report and quality pics. This is what this forum is all about well done lads.
    Wish I could get away for a week of fishing like that it would be amazing as a matter of interest what bait do you lads use as it seams allot of the fish took the bait right down.
    Tightlines all Chris

2. GJW

GJW Rockling

3. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

Thanks for that Gary I hope I can get some decent cod from the shore this winter as I got back into the shore fishing last winter after about 20 year away from it but didn't get much to report on here.
    Thanks for the info mental note taken. Keep up the good work well done.

4. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Dont be put off by last winters results, it really was a crap season and most people i know struggled big time , i have a sneaky feeling the forthcoming season could be a decent one

5. pouncer

pouncer Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Great report Gary, alot of time and effort goes into the venues you all fish and it certainly pays dividends.
    Great pictures , then one of martin (i thought it was me who ended up swimming for the fish :laugh:) must be among one of the best i have seen . Sorry for delay in posting trying to sort things out for the Mull . see you up there tomorrow

6. SAGE

SAGE always trying...... some say very trying !!!!!

once again Gary..... what an excellent report , thanks for the time and effort in putting it on the forum..

you certainly deserve the rewards you get from your fishing, like many have said before ....you reap what you sow....and to top it all have some very good fishing buddies by the look of things,
    well done to you all on your trip across the border...
    keep them coming.. they make great informative reads...
    thanks
    Paul

7. pouncer

pouncer Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Gary GJW is so last season , me and big cliff will see if we can come up with a better one while up the Mull :educated: :laugh: :laugh:

8. GJW

GJW Rockling

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: We'll see :wink:

9. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

What a fantastic report Gary, TOTAL COD HEAVEN......

Class Mart, quality fish and well done on the scuba diving.....

10. TangleJock

TangleJock Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I have to hand it to you guy’s, this is a great post, lovely photos, nice fish. You obviously had a great time up here on the east coast of Scotland. Glad you had a successful trip.

But now I’m seriously frustrated!! You are out-fishing the locals – well at least me!

I had some success with the cod this past winter, which was my first experience of cod bashin. Even followed your advice to bag myself a few fish. But since May, over many trips, I have failed to connect with a single fish or even have a proper bite. I have been to the sites suggested by yourself and Big Cliff and still no luck. My son is seriously beginning to doubt the fishing prowess of his dear old Pa. You know it just doesn’t do to loose face with the young uns.

What makes it worse, I was fishing over the same period as you guys and on some of the same marks. In fact, I wondered if I might bump into you all while you were pulling in the cod.

I read your post avidly as soon as it was posted. I studied it. Re-read it. Set myself questions about it. Used satellite imaging to figure out where you were fishing. Spoke to the locals about strange southerners using magic potions to reel in our best cod – you have been rumbled.

Then it dawned on me it’s the bait. That’s it! I rushed out, bought a bunch of crabs at £2 each (Ouch! I am a Scot you know) and high-tailed it up to the Deil’s Head. “This is it” I told my son. On a lovely day, a nice calm, we cast our lines into deep water and waited. We cast again, and waited. And again. And again, for 3 hours and not even a knock. I was not a popular chap with my son as we took the long walk back to the car.

“Never mind it will happen” sez I, knowingly, to my son. He gave me a side ways glance in a rather disdainful yet indulgent way. Can I ever redeem myself?

We kept trying.

This past weekend – down on Rumness- heck it’s the very same spot in your picture. We had our lunch by that rock on the pebble beach (image 18 from the top). My son was fishing from the same spot that you display that fine fish in image 20. And not a thing, not even a pull, Aagh!

I have to say by now, being a little cheap, I have resorted to ½ a crab or even mussels wrapped in a strip of squid. Could this be our problem?

Despite this dismal story, we are still enjoying the fishing – we are gluttons for punishment. At the Deils Head we were blessed by the site of a pod of six dolphins swimming within 150 yards of our fishing mark. One of them came straight up out of the water balanced on its tail fluke before crashing back into the sea, what a sight! A day to remember.

Also, my young lad loves the spot at Rumness, which he has dubbed his “secret place”.

Oops, now I really have no credibility. My son just came in and saw images from Rumness in the open window of the browser. He recognised the place immediately and is bowled over by the pics of your fish! Talk about salt and wounds!

11. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

I'm sorry that your son hates you now Tanglejock, but it can all be redeemed. Our Scotish Cod Thieves will no doubt give you all the info you need, they're good like that :yes: One good fish and he might actually start believing what you say and after a few sessions he might start calling you dad again :laugh: Good luck in your quest and please keep us posted.

12. kevinh

kevinh Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Cracking report once again... you guys certainly put in the time and effort..... Well done

13. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

What a great report Tangle Jock it would be great if you and your son could really get in among the fish , if you ever want any more info please
    just fire away, we will most likely be up your beautiful part of the world in october or november for a few days and it would be really nice to meet
    up with you and have a good session , just keep plugging away im sure it will all come good in the end :yes:

14. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

15. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

i hope them cliff caught kelpies were put to good use and eaten like they deserved, cos the were'nt going back allive :educated:

16. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

They were all filleted and frozen back at the cottage , we also put a few back safely from the cliff top we have a couple of systems that
    allow us to do that