1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Summer Cod fishing in North East Scotland... What a great week.

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by GJW, Jul 19, 2010.

1. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

That photo of Martin in the water dosent tell the full story , he was walking back towards the shore a short while earlier the water was round
    his neck , rather him than me

2. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

cracking pictures and report thanks for sharing it with us, even my little lass was pointing at the fish looking at me, think she was saying dad where are yours like that :laugh:
    well done lads :yes: :yes:

3. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

A top notch post yet again lads! Must admit I was starting to get worried when Gary said that Alan could still get them out! :surprise: :surprise: :laugh: untill I realised he was talking about the cod :pray: Were the pics taken with your new camera Gary, I can vaguely remember you wanting a new one, as the clarity in those pics is brilliant. Thanks for sharing yet another great report.

4. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Great report lads....another superb trip for you all. :cool:

5. snap off!

snap off! Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

howdo, well done garry and to all you lads, it was nice to chat to all of you on arbroath peir, and to martn i fort i was crazy :laugh:

6. andycodsnob

andycodsnob New Member

Nice to read about our exploits in wonderful words and pics Gaz, you've done us proud with this post. Between us we must have had over 120 cod of every pound denomination upto 9lb 4oz, including ones of 8lb 13oz, 7lb 15oz, 7lb 9oz, 6lb 6oz, few over 5lb and loads 2-4lb (and i would estimate that 80% were put back, if they could--they did). This is such a good area that if you were to fish in ideal conditions in a 6hr match in the summer you would need a bag of 30lb plus to have a chance of a place..........YES A PLACE!!!!
    To all you guys who read this post and say "I am going to do that next year" i say keep your promise and go up as i did for a good few years until work intervened and i promise you will be forever counting down the days to the annual trip to what could be described as "cod mecca"!! Roll on november for a winter weekend back up here!!!!

7. baza

baza New Member

what a report, fantastic fishing yet again boys and garry where you getting the energy.

8. Ian Alexander

Ian Alexander Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hello,

Great fishing and great report Gary, well done lads...especially Martin for wading out.......it would have been way over my head long before I got anywhere near the fish :embarrass:

When the sea picked up did you move to Usan? It looks as though there were not as many red codlings with the sea away.

Great photos too Gary, thanks again for sharing them with us.

Regards Ian.

9. GJW

GJW Rockling

Yes Ian we did move to Usan when the sea picked up, found Usan fishes best with a nice sea running had some cracking winter fishing there too.

Baza as for energy i think i was almost running on empty after doing almost 500 miles on saturday then bass fishing until 2.30am in the morning all i can say is thank the lord for Red Bull..... :cheesy:

10. Dav

Dav Rockling

Thats a cracking report Gaz lad , , The quality of them pics is superb , Laughed me head off at the pic of martin i can just imagine being there lol.....Well doen to you all . Them red cods are lovely fish ...Well done ..... :yes: :yes: :yes:

11. Crab Nut

Crab Nut Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

thanks lads for a great week- just as good as the first time we went up there, our andrew saying don't forget your sunscreen- guaranteed to blow a hooly, but despite everything we caught plenty of fish, a few tinnys and even laughed at alans jokes- (some of em anyway), great pics and report as usual, - well done the snappers

12. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

Top notch fishing and yet another first class report Gary,Cleveland's finest certainly did a better job representing their country on foreign shores than some recent sporting prima donnas I can think of.Great to see the Grand Master showing the apprentices a thing or two and I hope Alan you have a few more for next week :wink: :wink:
    Gary you need to spend the next few days with your feet up so your fit and raring to go.
    Well done on a superb all round performance.

13. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Believe me Crabnut [ Dave ] laughed at all my jokes , they were all new [ well newish ]

14. Maxie

Maxie New Member

Some nice fish there you cant beat a fishing trip to bonny scotland :cool:

15. rupert

rupert Blenny

Some cracking cod in the photographs there.

Sounds to have been a fantastic trip. :yes:

16. seanyrooroo

seanyrooroo Pig Hunter

Fantastic lads!!!

17. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

As i have pointed out on many occasions about the high quality of the cod fishing in north east scotland i feel it must be tempered with the following its imperative to have an OS MAP of the area , coupled up with as much information as you can get because i wouldnt want anybody
    to think its just a matter of turning up and it all happens for you , it simply isnt like that , like anywhere in the world things can be tough at times
    but if you have done your homework it can produce some incredible fishing on its day

18. GJW

GJW Rockling

Totally agree Alan, Its not a case of just turning up and the fish jump in your bag " If only" certain marks produce in diffrent sea states and diffrent size and times in each tide, its a case of moving and matching the tides and conditions to each venue, so its not all plain sailing by a long way, many hours have been put in over the years finding new venues and working out how and when they fish, people we have taken up have been amazed and have said how the hell did you find this mark..... The answer is simple we got off our backside's got a OS map put on our walking boots and set off in search... And there still is so much more to find and learn, thats the beauty of fishing...

19. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

Brilliant pictures lads, Thank you for sharing them :happy:

20. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

The master speaks wise words there lads, (big cliff) Alan has fished the length and breadth of the country, as allso has Garry, i count myself very fortunate to have such good friends,

what i have learned from these two alone you could not buy,
    when garry was a junior you could see he was going to be a exceptional angler,

he regularly beet many in matches ,three and four times his age,
    so take heed all , and if you have a chance to go fishing with any of those two grab it with both hands, you will not be dissapointed,

good luck up the mull for the weekend , sorry i couldnt make it until three weeks time ,
    tight lines
    Harry