1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sub surface bass lure - Just below the surface

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I think someone asked this question the other week but I cant remember the answer. I want a bass lure that will fish in the first couple of foot of water ie Just subsurface. I have been using a crystal minnow over rough ground but sadly Ive lost it into the kelp. I think the crystal minnow is going just a bit too deep for the type of marks Im fishing.

Any advice ?

2. carpyken

carpyken New Member

A Storm jointed thunderstick is as shallow as I think you can get mate, i love that lure, owe a lot of fish to it this year
    Ken

3. Baramundi Bob

Ah, cheers Ken, thats the one you used to such goiod effect last Sunday if I remember rightly. What depths do they work at ?

4. carpyken

carpyken New Member

less than a foot mate, Sam has them in, spent stupid money on a nice box of shiney lures and yet I always seem to reach for one of these damn things that look like it came out of a Christmas cracker :cheesy:

[​IMG]

5. Baramundi Bob

Think Ill order a couple this week :wink: Our lass is gonna kill me.

6. newdave

newdave Guest

Maria chase BW is the killer lure for shallow diver Glenn, maria angel kiss even shallower the red head is my favorite :wink:

the good thing about these shallow divers is you don't loose em so the are cheap for the amount of fishing you get from them

7. Dorado

Dorado New Member

If it is that shallow a surface lure will also work just as well.

It is how you work it that matters, not the fact that it is on the surface. On its day a surface lure can outfish subsurface types.

Another killer is to use a redgill with no weight whatever - troll it about 40 yards astern. If the kelp is on the surface then you can rig it with a small lpiece of polystyrene in the belly, and fish it with a weedless hook........as old as the hills, but still works!

8. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

We all have our favourites but the maria angel kiss will take some beating, it's the first one out of the box and if I'm fishing shallow marks it very rarely gets changed, it's a killer lure in the top foot of water