1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strong side winds, pull out the Zonk

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by quint, Oct 8, 2010.

1. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Had a short bass session Wednesday just managed to download pictures

The wind was horrendous, coming across and slightly in my face, at times I couldn't stand up, where I was it seems to vortex around the cliff, gaining wicked strength, casting was restricted to max 15 yards, maybe more if you went across the swim, it did however put a fine chop on the water, I have a vast amount of plugs now in my box and am now understanding their strengths and weaknesses, knowing when to use them, I can honestly say the only plug capable of those conditions was the Zonk, without it I would probably have blanked and sulked home, the wind was so strong on the line you had to keep the tip well down, the plug never got pushed out of the take zone

It wasn't long before I had a schoolie of 2lb's out, once I arrived at one of my favourite rocks, I had a snatch near my feet, on the next retrieve I got hit and the fish ran off, I knew it was not schoolie size but bigger, it was putting extreme pressure on and stripping line, I thought this is the one the magic 8 +, but when I saw the fish I noticed it had missed the plug and was hooked near the gills, however still a nice fish of 5lb 14oz

[​IMG]

I carried on for a while managed 5 all in all but had to return early as Jackson was on his own in my car and I felt a tad sorry for him, when I got back he was not pleased with me :no:

[​IMG]

I hope he remembers the scent next year when he's hopefully going to help me sniff em out :educated:

[​IMG]

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Well done Iain. The zonk has certainly done the business for you this year. Think Jackson will be in the water dragging them out next year.

3. langy

langy Rockling

Nice one Ian another quality bass, shame you fed it to the dog :laugh:

4. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Nice 1 Moley......................

5. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

well done iain another 5lber to this years tally

6. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Great fishing very well done, jackson is a little cracker as well.

7. seanyrooroo

seanyrooroo Pig Hunter

You've done well this year mate, definitely put my plugging gear away too early this year.

8. robq

robq Rockling

Nice bass Iain :cool:

9. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

That is a bellter Ian quite a decent size :yes: the fish aint to bad either, :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: what a cute little fella the pup is.

10. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

That's one well fat bass. Pup looks pretty pleased too!

Conditions sounded like a nightmare - but daft persistence sometimes pays off. Well done mate!

11. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

well done iain. :yes:

i would be happy with a bass the size of jackson :yes: :laugh:
    glad them zonks are working well. you tries making the vain smaller?

12. newdave

newdave Guest

Well done again Bass master, I imagine if the women in your life would like to know what jackson has that they didn't to drag you away from your fishing early :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

13. Watersplatter

Watersplatter New Member

Well done Iain another cracker, my dobie loves terriers --------------------------- for breakfast :wink:

Les

14. richie7

richie7 Blenny

Well done Iain, cracking fish.

What's the braid?

15. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Jacksons better looking than any gimmer I've had Dave, and as yet he's not answered back :laugh:

The Braid I use is 30lb power pro Richie

16. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Well done Iain. Another fine bass but the dog steals the show, it's a little cracker. I was really tempted to get one when I saw it. I have just about got over it now though :no: Instead of a bass eating dog iv'e decided to set my targets on a dog eating bass before the season ends :whatever:

17. glassback

glassback Blenny

nice fish iain it was like that last week when i went you had to cast out and get rod down into water straight away
    or the wind picked up the line andskipped the zonk across the surface.
    hard work but it shows they are still there if you can get your plugs in the zone .u didnt name jackson after watching emmerdale did you :wink:

18. Dav

Dav Rockling

Thats one nice bass iain , well done mate , next time a double ......

19. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

well done Iain, I see you have got yourself a real water spaniel now, danny is redundant!

20. ian 07

ian 07 Guest

Well done quint Nice fish