1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

storing black lugworms - Keeping Lugworm

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Dav, Feb 3, 2007.

1. Dav

Dav Rockling

A bit of advice required , i got me self a few score of lug and a few fresh black lug from the tackle shop yesterday knowing i wasnt able to dig any , thinking i was either gona get out last night (fri) or tonight , which i havent and cant do , the trouble is i have fresh blacks and lug in the fridge in newspaper , any suggestions how to keep them fresh for as long as i can ,i think i,l be out tommorow like but very worried about the blacks exploding and lug going mushy , ive a good idea the lug will keep but the blacks im worried about , any ideas how to prolong the life of them , ive been reading the blacks nursery rhymes to keep em sweet but still very worried, would immersing them back in sea water help them ? or should i just cut me losses and gut and freeze em ? cheers

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Re: storing blacks

Hi Dav,

Paper is probably best if your going to use them. Trays of water in the fridge is a good way to prolong the life of any worm but I think it subtracts from their quality.

[​IMG]

Some of the lads I know keep them in buckets of sand. I'm currently experimenting with trays of sand in my tank. Ill let you know how they come on.

I think the blacks may be lost mate (or is this age of politically correctness and awareness of a multitude of cultures perhaps we should call them worms from an ethnic minority). As your aware they are tempremental little buggers and will struggle to resettle. Best to go in water when you get them and change it daily with water of the same temp. Always beware when keeping them in water of the waters salinity. I once put all my whites in water to find them dead the next day. When I checked the water salinity it was the same as tap water, I had taken it from too near the outlet of a stream.

Hope that helps. I would be interested to learn how others keep their worms.

3. Baramundi Bob

These are the worms I put in Thursday night. If you look at the ones in the black tank you can see a couple of tails sticking out. In the right hand tray you can see a couple of casts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tell pies live in the far end.

[​IMG]

4. Dav

Dav Rockling

I wouldnt mind starting to keep all my worms like that glen , i dont supose you have a list of the bits required to do a proper job like that and destructions on how to maintain em do you ..bloody hell were the bloody hel did you collect them hermit crabs from , there massive,ive only ever seen winkle size hermits me self...i like the set up though , serious , and by the way them blacks i have are still looking ok for now ,hurry up northerlies .....

5. Baramundi Bob

Not 100 percent certain it's gonna work yet Dav. It works fine for crabs etc. If they are still alive next week I'll let you know.

There is some info on the set up here.

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/peeler-crabs.php

A little expensive but worth the money. I've been using it about 5 years now for peelers and it works fine. Even for velvets ;) I also store my mussels in there. Your only enemies are extreme heat in summer and too much salt caused by water evaporation.

I know other members of this forum run big tanks too. I'd be interested to hear of their experiences.

P.s A tip for tell pies - look at them through a magnifying glass :eek: ;D

6. Baramundi Bob

Just used the last few Dav, They had been in there 17 days and came out as they went in.

7. smokey

smokey Rockling

Sounds promising Glenn.Certain times of the year affect the life of Blacks,digging when we have low pressure weather over us is one,when they are spawning is another,this is when they burst and ooze milk as soon as you pick them out of the hole.

8. Dav

Dav Rockling

9. MFC

MFC Blenny

hi glen , i use a similar system to your set up with filter etc. But i use an old small bath complete with plug hole and waste pipe to get rid of old water.Great for crabs;;;;mind you wife looks funny having a bath.

10. Baramundi Bob

Great idea to have a plug mate, its a bit of a bugger getting rid of water and cleaning mine out. They are great for crabs aren't they. Have you tried worms yet ? Ive only been trying for the past month but all seems well. Even got a few whites in there.

MAde me laugh when you mentioned about your lass. When we lived in a small cottage in Church street we had no garden or any space at all outside so I kept some peelers under the sink (needs must) anyway I went out one day and when I cam back I could see through to the living room where our lass was was stood on the sette pointing a broom down onto the floor. As I openened the door I heard her say

When I looked on the living room floor there was a huge dogger sat watching the tv with our lass prodding it with the broom handle.

Not long afterwards we moved and I had little trouble into persuading here I needed a fishing shed. ;D ;D ;D

11. MFC

MFC Blenny

hi glen. have\nt tried worms yet,your idea looks great will have to try sometime.liked the story about the doggies .Some years ago a neighbour 2 doors up from my dads found a crab walking on the pavement out side is house ,he brought it back knocked on the door and gave it back to franky,he replied it must be one of yours as i only use mussels;;;

12. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

There,s honesty for you! On a more serious note Frankie should take more care because a doggie,s not just for Christmas they,re for life, or untill they start cracking at least.