1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Hatch Issues - Ocean Kayak - Kayaking Today?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by carpyken, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Davo

Davo Rockling

Thanks Ken

Please put my name down for one. Thanks again and much appreciated.

Dave

2. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Welcome back Davo :wink:

Put my name down for one please Ken.

3. Davo

Davo Rockling

Cheers Sam, can't wait to get back out there mate

4. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Aye, just stay well away from me from now on :laugh: :laugh: :canadian: :canadian:

5. mouldybits

mouldybits New Member

well if anyone goes in mate it'd be rude not to take you with them lol

6. kipper

kipper New Member

hi bassy ken, since being interested in the hatch cover sealer, i have spoken to simon at kayakuk, who i believe has been out with you, and i think i am going for either the merlin or darado some time next year all being well. so please take me off the list of interested kayakers for the seal.
    incidentally, you asked where i am based, near sheffield.

cheers mate
    kim.

7. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Just to let you guys know I haven't ordered any hatch covers as yet, Dave has made a couple which seems to do the job well..

Main reason I've dragged this post back up is that I've just recieved an message from Andrew aka OKReally, from Johnson Outdoors, with his permission I have copied it here...................

Hi Ken

Do you post as Bassy Ken as well or is that someone else?

One of our dealers has pointed me towards a thread on the Whitby forum by one of their customers who has been scared by the content in to thinking that he'd bought a 'dangerous product' that should be recalled, from them.

You & I discussed this at some length when you were down for Mark's Eastern Meet & I'd be happy to expand on that discussion if anybody would like to contact me.

I am concerned that people are having problems that can be so easily cured by checking simple things like tightening the straps & making sure that cords trapped don't prevent seals being made between hatch & boat. This is simple instruction, safety check stuff & I guess one of Paul & Simon's courses might go down well with forum members...If they were willing to travel oop North we'd probably help with their travel expenses to get them there if there were enough interest just to set people's minds at rest? We have sold a couple of thousand Prowler 13s in the UK alone (plus literally thousands of others that use similar or identical hatches) ...worldwide I'd guess around ten to fifteen thousand & I know of no design fault or batch problem that is prevailing. The hatches work fine if they are tightened down properly.

We talked about the neoprene gaskets that can be bought as an accessory. These, as you'll know with your kayaking background, are used in sea kayaks where you pack kit for a voyage when on land & don't unpack until you land the other end. We used to fit these on the early P13s & 15s but the massive consensus by end-users was that they weren't user-friendly in a sit on top...the vast majority are used in calmer conditions where access to the hatch is a possibility with care & practise & if the conditions weren't right you wouldn't attempt it. We listened to our customers & changed to the trimlock system that seems to be causing some worry for a few people. Your experience of your hatch is most peoples' experience..they work! Your kayaking experience undoubtedly dictates that you would check that the tension on your straps was sufficient before launching & I feel this educational process will solve more problems than buying the accessory cover - that's more intended for those who want to use their SOT as a sea kayak in terms of doing a longer trip.

I’m happy for you to post this on the site if you think it will help but I’d be even happier to explain to anyone who has reservations how everything should work - &, if necessary, we’ll liaise with your endurance partner (!) & Paul to arrange a course – as far as I know it’s the only dedicated SOT fishing course around & the feedback from everyone who has been on it has been immensely positive.

Ocean Kayak have sold literally hundreds of thousands of boats around the world – probably more than our competitors added together - & take safety very seriously. I’d be happy to reassure anybody who is worried in any way & pass on some simple tips - as I am sure you & fellow forum members do regularly.

Cheers

Andrew