1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Hatch Issues - Ocean Kayak - Kayaking Today?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by carpyken, Oct 12, 2008.

1. bagpuss

bagpuss New Member

Re: Angling Kayak - Ocean Prowler Neoprene Hatch Covers

Bassyken

I got my neoprene cover from Ocean Kayak through a dealer as they wouldn't sell direct to me. Try Danny at Desperate Measures on 01159816815 I'm sure that I paid about £18 for the neoprene cover from him. Any problems PM me.

2. CBass

CBass New Member

Re: Kayaking Today?

Bagpuss,

The airbag can be let down after every trip and access gained, it would just be a huge chore to do it whilst afloat. When I asked about access it was to see if you used it on a trip. It has the other advantage that it will fill the space and stop your battery moving about The kayak won't sink when full of water but having tried to recover and empty full boats it's a load easier when they are air bagged.

I know neoprene deck covers work, they are very effective, they are not infallible though, even with them on I would still rather fill any empty space with an airbag

3. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Ye CBass, I have air bags in my Perception whip-it play boat. And dont let anyone tell you a kayak full of water wont sink . . . A kayak full of water with just one 7ah battery stowed is enough to take it down. I've had great fun sinking my play boat in lakes and swimming pools - (always amusing when you try and paddle a submerged kayak ( even with air bags) it just wants to dive down just like a submarine, it amuses the kids when all you can see is a few inches of the stern, a paddle and a head sticking out the water - oh and its also exhausting to paddle it 20 foot like this. :happy:

4. CBass

CBass New Member

Hours of fun paddling a flooded boat Ken!! :laugh: :yes: :yes: I have paddled a few squirt boats in my time, which is pretty much the same idea. We also used to pop our decks to let some water in so we could get vertical easier.

Not sure I would fancy it in the sea though, especially in anger :surprise: :no:

I've paddled a Whip-it, I am somewhat on the big side for one though and even found it's big brother the whip-lash a bit of a handful.

5. smokey

smokey Rockling

I don't have a kayak so will be carefull what i say...BUT..... The part is obviously flawed and a very serious danger to all yakkers.If i had a yak i would be demanding a free upgrade or threaten to take it further.If you bought a new car and only 3 of the brakes worked,would you go back to the garage and ask them to order you a new brake in regardless of cost?? absolutley not.I find it shocking that OK are even trying to charge you lot for a replacement,this is very bad PR on their part,especially when there are other up and coming brands on the market.Stick together and have your voice heard and don't give the greedy barstewards a penny. tight lines

6. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Very very good point smokes , not thought about it that way all of us with OK yaks should draw up a pro forma type letter and all send one at the same time .

7. bagpuss

bagpuss New Member

Guys
    When I bought my kayak I asked the question would the thing sink if if was full of water. I was told no, it would float but only maybe 2 or 3 inches above water if it was absolutely full of water. Therefore it would not sink to the bottom without trace. I have not tested this myself so have no first hand experiece. Several phone calls this morning to dealers & a couple of guys I know that go out in sea kayaks have confirmed this, but they all say once I tell of my experiences, put the neoprene cover over the hatch & put some buoyancy in the hull. The more the hull is filled up with air obviously the less water it can hold. Air bags it seems are about £12 each & a prowler elite could I'm told just need two. One forward & one behind the hatch opening. But plastic bottles, high density foam blocks, polystyrene will all do.

Smokey I appreciate what you are saying but as with everything else these days some essentials are classed as extras. Stupid I know.

8. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Don't agree Bagpuss,you take a traditional sea kayak out you wear a spray deck to seall the hull form heavy water ingress,however on a sit on top the hatch is fitted with a "seal" , hence it should do its job and seal the hatch in normal use.Normal use is as the kayak was designed ...part of that design is to capsize and not fill with water.
    If some of the OK yaks are filling with water then they are definitely not fit for purpose and if owners are having to buy a neoprene hatch cover to make them safe that is not an essential extra. yes fit extra bouyancy aids as belt and braces but if the hatches are just not doing their job then it needs sorting before someone has a tragic accident.

I remember reading of another OK yak on here having a similar incident where it filled after one capsize.

My prowler doesn t leak and has spent a hell of a lot of time upside down whilst practising re entry drills which to me points to poor quality control in some kayaks. Either way owners shouldn t be expecting to fork out more money just to be able to safely use the kayak as it was designed and sold to be used.

Regards Jellyworm.

9. bagpuss

bagpuss New Member

Jellyworm

Forums are a bit like text messages they can be read & taken the wrong way.
    I agree wholeheartedly it's not on that the hatch seal leaks, however when I spoken to Ocean Kayak & kayak dealers they said that these neoprene covers were not fitted as standard but were available as an optional extra. Bear in mind my frightening ordeal, I said that they should be fitted as standard. However I was left under the impression that these covers & hatch seals are not designed to be a 100% water tight & I was told that anything that I put in the hatch eg spare clothes, fishing tackle, camping gear etc could get wet, unless they were in a dry bag & the hatch opening had the neoprene cover over it before the hatch cover was put on.
    The point I was making is that I & others obviously think that this is an essential bit of the kayak & Ocean Kayak think that it's not & therefore an extra at £x a cover.

10. bagpuss

bagpuss New Member

One tip that I will pass on that was a hindsight thing. If you are drift fishing & end up in the water & cannot recover yourself quickly or become weakened, consider throwing your anchor or drogue out. It's usually the wind more than the tide that is moving you & the kayak. Obviously if you are getting blown to the shore don't do this. The trouble is every day & situation is different & requires quick thinking & reactions.

11. Dav

Dav Rockling

Well reading this certainly makes me wanna go out and buy a yak like ... :surprise: :surprise:. would i be safer to stay on dry land ........ :laugh:

12. mouldybits

mouldybits New Member

wey no dav, get yaself out :cheesy: i've just stopped achin from the weekend now lol but feel great for it :yes:

13. mr softee

mr softee New Member

Blow up some xtra strong Durex ,put them in your yak bulkheads they never burst and its also fun asking for the xtra large. Don't tell them its for your kayak, :crazy: you'll get banged up.

14. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Oh deffo agree with that one :happy:
    Bagpuss, my point is that despite OK saying that the hatch is not 100% watertight they shouldn t be allowing water in to the point yaks are being unable to be righted and folk not able to get back on and paddle once the yak has been over. The last people that I would ever expect to admit a fault would be Ok or a retailer selling their products , but the recent incidents are enough to convince me that there is a problem with the kayaks letting more than just a few cup fulls of water in.
    I hope that people reading this thread who have OK yaks test theirs to see how the seals perform before we have another incident that doesn t end as luckily as the past couple have !
    In my mind this is quite clearly a fault if the yaks are filling so readily and the fact OK are not agreeing doesn t change my mind.
    As I said I m lucky that mine doesn t fill ....if the hatches all worked the same and those that leaked were meant to be like that then wouldn t they all be the same ?
    As I know of several lads whose OK yaks don t fill yet some others do , then something isn t right and the obligation is with OK to supply the kayaks in a fit for purpose state....not requiring extras to make them safe in normal use.
    It will take someone testing this though by challenging OK . Its a shame really as when car or motorbike manufactures discover a possible dangerous design flaw they make recalls or fit upgrades free of charge, as it is usually a cheaper option to a family sueing them for being liable in the event of a fatality which is put down to design fault.
    Just pleased all the lads the other day got out ok.

15. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

The other thing that has sprung to mind is ,now we are all aware that there is a problem should any of us be taking OK yaks out without the possibilty of the leakage being removed...or are we being neglegent by taking tha yaks ignoring the problem...hmmmm....difficult one !! :sad: :scared:

16. Kayak Kid

Kayak Kid New Member

sounds like there is a problem for sure. I wonder why this isnt being reported to the authorities. Could you imagine what a coroners report would say.

17. bagpuss

bagpuss New Member

Just ordered a couple of large kayak air bags off e-bay £12 each. When I started this hobby I thought that after the initial outlay in would be relatively inexpensive unlikely normal boat maintenance as in the past :surprise: The expense goes on :yes: :yes:

18. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

you are right there bagpus. I was told on here to budget £1000 for the initial equipment (kayak, clothing pfd etc) then another £1000 for all the other extras. This has been proved correct!

19. Davo

Davo Rockling

At last, back on line.

It looks like the swim myself and Sam had has brought on a positive discussion regarding kayak safety, and especially the problem with the p13's hatch, and obviously, i'll have to sort this out with my own yak. With regards to the thread, there's too much to comment on after being off line for so long, but thanks to everyone who worked as a team so effectively, and ensured a happier ending. On a ighter note, one thing that fascinated me, was, how did Matty tow three yaks to kettleness beach, then land his yak after fishing, half a mile before anyone else on Runswick beach?

Next time out, i'll make sure the spinach is with me again.

Dave

20. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Glad to hear from you again Dave. Funny enough i have just heared back from a supplier, the best they can do is give us a 10% discount which would make them £27 each. If you still want them please confirm below and i'll order them. Ken