1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Hatch Issues - Ocean Kayak - Kayaking Today?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by carpyken, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Re: Kayaking Today?

Your story is frightening and thank god you are alright Bagpus. Hopefully you will feel like sharing your kayak catches with us. I bet you get into some decent tope and bass out there ?

With regard to kayaking alone I am with quint on this one. My outlook is Life is one big risk. Binge drinking, Smoking, drugs, unsafe sex, fast cars, fast bikes, fast women the list goes on. There arent many of us who have not taken some risks in life and enjoyed them, some of us tried the lot :surprise: My latest vice is Kayak fishing - sometimes alone. The risks have been pointed out to me and I will do all I can to minimise them. God forbid that the worst might happen, but if ever it does please point people to this topic. I fish alone sometimes because I love being out. I wonr miss an opportunity if my Fishing buddy cant make it, although I really enjoy his company and would prefer to paddle together. If the worst happens and I go that way then you all know I went doing something I loved. A mutch better way to go than lieing in your own urine in an old persons home in 30 years time.

Each to their own I say, and lets not deviate to far from the main subject here which is a kayak full of water. :happy: :happy:

2. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Binge drinking, Smoking, drugs, unsafe sex, fast cars, fast bikes, fast women the list goes on . . . . . . Glenn you really should be slowing down a bit now mate, for goodness sake your not 20 any more :whistle: :whistle: :cheesy:

3. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Yeah and he's saying lets not deviate from the main subject :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

4. Baramundi Bob

It was fun whilst it lasted Ken :cheesy: :laugh:

5. bagpuss

bagpuss New Member

Bob
    I totally agree & I am not preaching. All I'm saying is that you learn from your mistakes. Let's face it if you go riding bare back there is a chance of catching a STD, the clap if you like. However if I had experienced a syringe full of penicillin being injected up my bell end :scared: would I really be daft enough to go shagging without protection again. I think not or at least not until a few months later when the memory had faded & after ten pints or more of the old Carlsberg truth fluid.
    I give you the benefit of my experience. Do with the event what you will. I wouldn't expect anyone would loves driving fast cars fast to slow down until they had been in a very serious crash.

6. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Anyway welcome to the forum Bagpuss, its a real good sound bunch of lads on here. I like a few others are dieing to know what fish you have been catching around that area. Would you do us the honour of starting a thread about kayak fishing in the Isle of Man with a few pics if you have some. There must be some huge bass to be had, looking forward to some of your catch reports mate.
    Ken

7. Baramundi Bob

One of your main mistakes is easily avoided bagpus and that to fasten up your neck in the dry top, or get some waders with a belt, also look after your radio. Apart from that I dont see you made a mistake. The yak filling with water is not your mistake and had that not happened its likely you would not be telling this story.

Ive been talking to my boss about this today (hes on the coastguard) and said no way would he put to sea in a kayak knowing of this problem. One suggestion was to seal the whole thing up untill you find a proper solution. We also discussed if it would be possible to build something inside to make that hatch smaller so the whole yak dont fill with water but just a small cavity. Do yous think this would be possible ??

8. carpyken

carpyken New Member

The problem is that the straps are pulling across the hatch - not down onto it. To change the direction of force you simply need to put a block of polystyrene between strap and hatch cover so there is more downward load . . . if you see what I mean. The have rectified this on the later yaks by making the hatch domed and there is more pressure exerted downwards.

You could easily put a bulkhead in a fibreglass yak Glenn like the Dorados but you would never seal it in a poly yak

Ken

9. Baramundi Bob

:sad: :sad:

Just an idea. Hopefully the neoprene patch will work for us.

10. bagpuss

bagpuss New Member

I agree undoing my neck seal was really stupid :embarrass: but it was warm & I didn't except to get tipped off & I have now invested in a good quality wading belt to put around my dry pants. I didn't originally think I needed one. As to the straps, yes I have seen others tighten them up & put a piece of 2" x 1" timber underneath them to keep the pressure on the seal.
    Our fishing has been rubbish or should I say the weather has, but I will put some catch info up when I get time.

11. mouldybits

mouldybits New Member

well ken,after this had happened,matty,sambo,davo and i were wondering why (over a swift pint and reflection on teh days events) in alot of older kayaks of different types (or from what i've seen anyways) there are bulkheads fitted with drain plug holes but why isnt there any sort of bulk heads in the SOT's? i think a bulk head even if diy wouldnt be a bad idea although it maybe adding extra weight :whatever:
    also another daft idea out of the blue is those foam type sausages they use in swimming pools...
    i leave myself completely open to criticism or out else (please be try to be nice though lol :embarrass:)

12. mouldybits

mouldybits New Member

Re: Angling Kayak - Ocean Prowler Neoprene Hatch Covers

yes sam you were righted in around 15 maybe 20secs max from what i remember so thats alot of water in not alot of time

13. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

my idea is to fill the yak with balls from a kiddies ball pool :laugh:

14. mouldybits

mouldybits New Member

but kiddies wont be cushioned by the blow of the concrete floor then matty :laugh:

15. CBass

CBass New Member

Whoops wrong thread, see other... :crazy:

16. CBass

CBass New Member

Just reading all this with a bit of interest.

Do you guys use the hatch at all? I mean, do you store things in them etc? In whitewater boats it's good practice to put air bags the empty stern section. If you take a swim or your deck pops off then the boat retains it's bouyancy. If your not using the empty hatch put an air bag in it and even if it leaks or you swim it doesn't matter.

http://www.brighton-canoes.co.uk/productpages/equipment/air-bags.htm

I always used to get em a bit big and keep blowing until they filled the space.

As for rescue, it's one of those things that is worth practice in a controlled environment. Until you take a dunk in winter then you don't really appreciate how cold it is. Emptyting a full boat is really a skill worth knowing, as is the all in rescue, when I did my instructor's course they were all taught and practised.

Have a look at this and you will get the idea...

http://www.atlantickayaktours.com/Pages/ExpertCenter/rescue-skills/Rescue-Skills-1.shtml

17. kipper

kipper New Member

i will have one too. how do you want the cash?

kim

18. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Dont worry about thd at the mo Kim, were you based?

19. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Cut a piece of pond liner and then a length of shock cord . Cut the pond liner about 4" all round bigger than the hatch opening,then tie the shock cord tight under the lip of the hatch the elasticity of the cord will give the pond liner a snug fit. Then fit the hatch back over the top.

20. bagpuss

bagpuss New Member

Cbass
    I store the battery for my fish finder in the front hatch. This is removed after every trip, therefore access is required through the hatch.

The neoprene covers for the hatch opening are what is used on the sea going kayaks, the sit in ones, so they work. I am told that a kayak with water in wont sink, but will obviously be lower in the water, difficult to re enter with the weight of water moving towards you as you tip it to get back on & will be a hell of a job to paddle (depending on the amount of water in it). As for filling the hull with polystyrene, empty plastic drinks bottles, swimming noodles & the likes, I don't really think that it is necessary.
    Don't sell your existing kayak just get a neoprene cover or a someone suggested silicone the thing on if you don't need access in there.