1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Hatch Issues - Ocean Kayak - Kayaking Today?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by carpyken, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Re: Kayaking Today?

Ken, there must of been about 12-15 gallons in Dave's yak. I really didn't expect that much water to get in that quick :surprise:

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Can you get me one of these hatch seals Ken. Ill happily pay for it. What happened to these guys really worries me. I know you should always paddle in pairs but the outcome is unthinkable should this happen when your out alone which a lot of us do do from time to time.

3. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Aye, I'll have one of seal please Ken. Just let me know how much please matey? As Glenn says it's quite a worry, specially if only one or two of you are out :scared:

4. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Just spoke to Andrew, OK sell them, I will order a dozen of them tomorrow and distribute them at cost. Apparently they are a stretch neoprene cover much like a neoprene skirt/splash deck for a sit-inside (but without the hole in the middle :happy: ). I presume you then simply place your normal plastic hatch over the top of this.

Ken

5. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Theres a really cool manouver to refloat a kayak while afloat. I learnt it ages ago, would be fun to see if it works with a sot, no real reason why not, save poor Matty having to tow a flooded yak back to shore :cheesy: I've done this for fun many times but never in a real situation, saw someone do it on the Eddystone challenge and it saved the poor guy getting the early safety boat home :happy:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=u5Z43EqTRUA

This page shows it better...

http://www.atlantickayaktours.com/Pages/ExpertCenter/Rescue-Skills/Rescue-Skills-7.shtml

You basicly drag the hull over your own and see-saw the water out of it - only thing different with a sot is I think you would have to drag the stern over your own hull 1st as the hatch is forward and you would never lift that weight of water on top of your own deck..

Like it or not you guys are now KAYAKERS, there is plenty to learn :wink: :happy:

6. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

I'll deffo have one of those covers Ken.

by the way, I didn't just tow a flooded yak, I towed a flooded Yak with Dave sat on it, plus a yak with Sam sat on it AND a yak with mouldybits sat on it. Now that is some weight to tow for an hour! :pray: :cool:

7. carpyken

carpyken New Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I heard you were the star of the moment mate, well done, I hope the boys showed thier gratitude. Three bottles of Jack Daniels should suffice :whistle:

8. IanB

IanB Blenny

Bet you have arms like Arnold Swartzenegger :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Lucky there was a few of you really though lads.

It does'nt bear thinking about what could have happened if you had been on your own. :no:

9. SAGE

SAGE always trying...... some say very trying !!!!!

had a great day even though davo took a dunking, but was worried about the hatch scenario, my yak has not got one and i am having second thoughts about fitting one.even though i could do with some storage, maybe just boxes lashed on will do. my son Lee enjoyed it immensely and wants to fish like that man who we passed on the way in ( lying with his feet up, catching fish ,wonder who that was ) :laugh: :laugh:
    but thanks go out to mouldybits, sambo, mattylamb and davo for a good day . i have...sorry i mean we have learned quite a few things both what to do and not what to do, and as for kens idea of practicing getting back on board is a brill idea, me and lee are up for it,

and a big well done to matty for towing everyone back :yes: :yes: he must have arms like garth!!!! :cheesy: :cheesy:
    i did offer to help though , :cheesy: :cheesy:

10. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

aye Sage offered to help on a few occasions but i had built up a substantial speed of 1mph by then and any stopping and faffing about could have cost us valuable time!

was nice to meet you and Lee by the way Paul we will have to have another go sometime

11. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Hiya Sage ( n Lee) , some fantastic guys in this hobby, glad you had fun. We all still learning, will speak with Simon and try and arrange a basic SOT course asap, its just a good excuse to get wet and have fun on kayaks :wink: .

12. SteveCBR900

SteveCBR900 New Member

Its good all were ok and new experiences learned, it does make me think should i be gong out alone - i did go out on North Landing today for a few hours and it got a bit choppy so headed back, it is surprising how fast it turned and had i been a long way off it would have been hard work getting back in though the wind was picking up so i stayed close by anyway. I do have a radio, flares etc so do have that peace of mind in one sense but if i ended up over and struggling then its a long wait for help and foolish to have ended up in that situation in the first place, it would be good if any yakkers plan on a trip to post here and maybe others join up to make safety in numbers - we must all be looking at the same info on weather and tides so must be hitting the water at similar times anyway. I practised capsizing and righting on North Beach and felt totally confident i can do it in an emergency though conditions on North Beach might not be the same as a capsize off Bemptom in a swell so would be glad of a chance to get to a group rescue session as i think its something that needs to be practiced regularly. I could also do with some advice on anchoring as i have my trolley rigged up now but want to be certain of the strength of current and conditions i can safely use it etc....appreciate any help possible on this one

13. Dav

Dav Rockling

Sounds scary that like , ive never seen one of the covers in question so dont know how they are designed , but sounds like a flaw to me . surely it should be splash tight at least .
    Did the water get under the front black cover ?

14. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

sink em all i say, stand on a rock like a normal angler :cheesy: :laugh:

15. Dav

Dav Rockling

Stop trying to convince ureself it doesnt look good lobstic...you know you want one ...imagine u might have arms like me next year ... :laugh: :laugh:

16. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Did the water get under the front black cover ?

Yep thats the one Dav . . . . . :happy: But we have just found out Ocean Kayak make a neoprene cover for this that fits under the plastic hatch cover. Going to order some so that everyone has the option of having one.

Well done Steve, sounds like you taking things seriously, flares n a radio is a must. Again well done

Ken

17. robq

robq Rockling

It may be a good idea to carry one of those small high capacity hand pumps so that in the event of a flooding you can pump the water out of your yak before re-mounting.

I was talking to a sit in yakker off flamboro a while back who showed me his and was insisiting that it is absolutely essential to carry one.

Like Ken i have never had more than a cupful in my prowler, even when I have been larking about and practicing re-entries !! I agree though that it is a nightmare scenario when alone a long way off in tide :scared:

18. mouldybits

mouldybits New Member

anyone looked at the scotty stabilisers??? davo had mentioned gettin himself some like :yes: :laugh:
    i know for sure my right hand side is still aching from helping dave in and righting the yak (or maybes it was all of the fish ahem! :embarrass:)
    do you think its possible that ocean have noticed a slight prob therefore brought out the seal??

19. bagpuss

bagpuss New Member

Guys
    I had a similar experience a few weeks ago. I capsized on a relatively calm day, I had been out with a mate & he had just gone in & driven off from the beach. When out of nowhere I was flipped out of the kayak (prowler elite). I tried to self rescue four times but couldn't get back on the kayak without it tipping me off again as I tried. A couple of main reasons for this.
    1) The kayak had taken on gallons of water through the front hatch & each time the kayak was upside down it took more water in. I didn't realise that this had happened until some time later when back on shore.
    2) I was wearing Palm sidewinder bib & brace dry suit trousers & a Gul dry kag top. I had undone the neck seal on the jacket & when I was plunged under the water the whole lot filled up with water.

To cut a long story short with a dry suit full of water, a kayak half full of water & my strength being zapped by the exertion of self rescue, the cold water & trying to swim ashore with the kayak tethered to me. The wind was blowing offshore, the tide was running offshore. Two hours later I was picked up by the lifeboat & taken to hospital suffering from hypothermia.
    I e-mailled Ocean Kayaks & was told there was a seal for the front hatch that could be purchased as an extra. Unbelievable really the hatch leaks but you can buy a neoprene seal to stop that happening. Shouldn't it be standard. Anyway i got one off them.
    Not a pleasant experience. A lot learnt & it hasn't put me off but has made me a lot more wary of how easily thing can change.

20. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Angling Kayak - Ocean Prowler Neoprene Hatch Covers

I've just got the price back from Johnson Outdoors and for a neoprene hatch cover that fits under your existing plastic cover the price is £29.99. A bit bl**dy expensive I thought but if it keeps the water out it may be a wise investment. The stock number is 21590000. I really dont mind ordering these for anyone but at that price please confirm below that you want one and I will put an order together.

Ken