1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Hatch Issues - Ocean Kayak - Kayaking Today?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by carpyken, Oct 12, 2008.

1. carpyken

carpyken New Member

How did all the guys do today? I was really peeved not being able to get out. The weather was gorgous on the drive back up the country.

2. cps

cps Rockling

Re: Kayaking Today?

water thick at flambro end ken

3. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Thanks Chris, makes me feel a lot better - you been out in the boat today? Many fish?

4. mouldybits

mouldybits New Member

had my first session yesterday ken, gotta say, i slept like a log, feeling it today though :embarrass:

5. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

not great on the fish front yesterday, i managed a bass about 2lb and a wrasse about 3lb.

I slept well last night, I was absolutely goosed

6. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

I managed a few decent Pollock up to 5lb+ whilst trolling lures (great fight on the lure rod). Only just dried out after the swim :ugly: :wounded: :cheesy:

7. carpyken

carpyken New Member

I heard there was a little bit of baptism in water involved. But you all survived to tell the tale, you rescued / self-rescued yourselves - you all did ok and no doubt everyone learnt from the experience - its all part of yakking, heard there was a bit of a swell on too so ye you all did well. Put it behind you and move on I say. Just hope it didn't put anyone off, one of you guys does need a radio asap tho :happy:

5lb plus pollock - I bet they are fun on light spinning gear :happy:

Ken

8. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

There was a bit of an incident ken, I wont go into details but a couple of the lads took a dunking but we were in a group of 5 yaks so sorted it out between us. there was no swell where it happened it was just one of those things we will all learn by, but yes we know we need a radio and it is something I am waiting to get as soon as funds become available.

9. mouldybits

mouldybits New Member

yep like sam said good job there was a few of us to help phew! but in all a really enjoyable day cant wait to go again but i think i'll let my aches an pains ease first :yes: :laugh:

10. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

"yep like sam said"

dont insult me phil!

saying that i wouldnt mind his spawneyness!

11. mouldybits

mouldybits New Member

no no thats what sam said yesterday right after lol good job you were there to tow matty :pray: did any of your pics turn out well???

12. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

some were a bit crap tbh phil but here's the ones that came out ok..

some spawny git and his bass..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The recovery area!

[​IMG]

The Survivor

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Davo ON the water not IN it

[​IMG]

A distant sam with a pollock

[​IMG]

13. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

did you boys carry your yacks back up kettleness cliffs???

14. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Nice pics, hope Davo's spirit wasn't dampened to much . Now we have quite a few new guys hitting the water it might be worth inviting Simon up to instruct us all on a basic sot course. If theres any interest let me know and we'll drag him up, its only a bit of fun but well worth it.

15. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

We met the lads on their way back to shore yesterday and thankfully all of you were ok, although Davo looked very pale and was very quiet whcih concerned me greatly.

The one thing that worries me a lot about the story is that this guys hatch filled with water. Its not the first time I have heard this story as I think Fudge had a very similar experience. I am wondering if the hatches are safe on the ocean kayak range ???

16. mouldybits

mouldybits New Member

yeah i was looking at my hatch this morning glenn and was wondering if there could be a better option for a rubber seal applied???

17. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Ken, I was just thinking earlier this evening we should get everyone together and work on self rescue, etc. I'm pleased I managed to self right my yak and get back on board pretty much text fashion but I'd like to practise it more and it would be good confidence booster for some of the lads.

Glenn, the hatch on my yak is down tight but I still took on some water but maybe only about 3gals. Dave's yak though took an awful lot of water in a relatively short space of time, I checked the hatch once landed and it wasn't that bad actually. Obviously it needed to be a bit tighter but it was an eye opener at how much water can get in through the smallest gaps, just shows that yaks need to be righted asap.

We all learnt a lot from the experience and it was good to see Dave get back out undeterred. I'm happier as well as I've issued a 100yd kayaking restraining order against Davo now so I should be ok from now on :cheesy:

18. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Phil, there should be a rubber seal under the hatch anyway.

19. mouldybits

mouldybits New Member

yeah there is but it doesnt seem very rubbery...maybe its something i should replace...??as i know over time saltwater can affect rubber/plastic aswell as sunlight :whatever:

20. carpyken

carpyken New Member

I'll speak to Andrew, OK produce a stretchy rubber hatch seal tha fits like a Johny under the conventional hatch, i'll fleece a few off him. Dont know how a hatch should fail like that though, i have messed about in the surf spending a lot of time with the yak upside down and even trying to roll it with knee straps - most water i got inside was an egg full