1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

STICKING SPIGOT JOINT - tip's for getting your rod apart

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by ziggy, Dec 6, 2007.

1. ziggy

ziggy luv it fishing

just wondered if any one had any tip's on getting a rod apart ??? ???, me and smokey have had a tug of war with it which didn't seem to work ;D, having to tape it to top of my truck when i go which is a pain in the a**e. any advice most welcome thanks ziggy

2. macky

macky New Member

Re: tip's for getting your rod apart

Get ya self 3 strong lads

1 person turn the butt 1 way and the other turn the tip the opposite way
    get the 3rd person to stand in the middle with a hand on each section

whilst u 2 are turning apposing ways, the guy in the middle should work his hands in a circular motion

usually works ;)

3. macky

macky New Member

P.S
    worst thing u can do is start pooring liquds down the joint to try and free it, it just makes it worse

4. crabadabado

crabadabado Blenny

Before you put it together, use the natural oil from sides of your nose to rub on the spigot before putting together. Old trick but works everytime. Rod comes apart easily.
    Regards Col.

5. mww

mww Rockling

Macky's advice is what I'd suggest, but if all else fails, as a last resort, try removing the whipping off the female section - worked once for me with a Quattra tip that refused to budge....

Mart

6. crabadabado

crabadabado Blenny

Another trick is to warm up the outer part of the joint with a hair dryer, then twist to release.
    Regards Col.

7. Slim Jim

Slim Jim Blenny

I've had the same problem with reducers. I used 4 men two on each side, and a bit of wd40 seemed to help being silicon based !!

8. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Buy a car with a sun roof just in case ;)

9. dbrown

dbrown Guest

;D ;D or a sretch limo, i got told you have to some how heat it up because it makes it easier to get out.

10. robq

robq Rockling

Mackys advice is spot on ;D

Another tip if you are struggling for grip is to loop a dozen or so laggy bands together and bind them around each section tightly, this should give you plenty of grip and stop you bending the guides ::) ::)

11. bucko

bucko Guest

A pair of marigolds helps you get a good grip.
    Avoid the pink ones though, people will talk.

12. Dav

Dav Rockling

Ive noticed alot of newer model rods are coming with a grippy material at each end of the rod were they meet to aid pulling apart ,,,,,,,good thinking century

13. cps

cps Rockling

hack saw ;D

14. thornbackseeker

thornbackseeker New Member

another tip is,before or after u take it apart rub a pencil lead on spigot,

15. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

was going to say, warm the female side, but also try frozen bag of frozen peas on other side ;)

16. baza

baza New Member

you cant beat prevention, a good dollop of grogger in the female section before it goes together always does the trick. ive got a fladden maximus solid carbon thats been stuck together since its first outing a year back and ive tried most things except freezing the male end, next on the agenda i think.

17. ziggy

ziggy luv it fishing

thank's for all the tip's will give them a go. if i can't get any to work will just buy a big supply of tape or a hacksaw ;D ;D. thank's ziggy

18. IanD

IanD New Member

It had to be century to come up with that idea - of all the rods I've used they've been the worst for tight spigots. the two CM's I've got are both bad.
    One tip I've heard is for two anglers to face each other, one holding the rod butt and the other the rod tip, them gently swing it like a skipping rope. Supposed to loosen the tightest joint. Sounds a bit risky to me, but I suppose when you consider what a hard cast puts a rod through it's not too bad.

19. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

sounds a good idea, do it over grass so if they come appart you dont do no damage :)

20. crabpot

crabpot Blenny

This works for me everytime, put the rod behind your back, place your hands 6 inches either side of the joint then place the rod behind your knees, with your arms now along side your legs push outward, you will then hear that great sound as the rod comes unstuck.