1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steetly Pier - Is It An Accident Waiting To Happen

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by redcarandy, Jun 10, 2010.

1. codandchips

codandchips Guest

well said keith lets hope so :whistle: :whistle:

2. redcarandy

redcarandy Guest

nothing personal at all i was saying my opinion, people have theres i have my mine every 1 carnt agree on everything but there was nothing personal intended by what i posted.

and like i said time to put this 2 bed every 1 just enjoy your fishing :)

3. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

To take this a little bit of the original topic but following the debate so far:

Yorkshire Coast rock angling , is it unique ? I ve fished Scotland, Wales, Devon, Cornwall, Cumbria, Lincolnshire,Kent , East Anglia and nowhere has the same sort of fishingas far as I ve experienced anyway.

The cliff descents are sometimes very intimidating and not for everyone, I ve been down most and there are a couple I ve looked at, assessed my capabilities and thought, "Nah not this one,"

So not arguing Andy but you keep banging on about people putting the lives of the emergency services at risk and if people were being reckless you would be right.

I stated back along this thread that if the Steetly Pier was officially condemned and someone got into difficulties on there they would more than likely be held accountable for that.

The cliffs are a different ball game, maybe it was unfair of Glenn to post the ppicture of the Birdash ladder on this thread but I know he did so for genuine reasons and I will always defend the anglers who choose to go down those descents because they are doing nothing wrong. People rock climb and abseil for no purpose other than to climb or abseil. People as I mentioned jump out of perfectly serviceable aircraft just because they can and for the buzz that gives them.

We live in a society that sees our freedom to choose slowly being erroded away and I like to be free to choose where I go fishing be it on the Holderness beaches on a warm summer evening for Thornbacks or down a 5 stage roped access rock venue in the middle of winter for cod .

All that I think Glenn was saying and what I m saying is that it is up to the individual what they do as long as though it is within our laws then they should be allowed to continue, all those people , and we are talking about some of the most successful anglers on the Nth east coast , who do go down ropes and ladders know the risks, manage those risks and reduce the risk of something going wrong as best they can.

It is a unique form of angling , unique to this part of the country, not for everyone and long may we have the freedom to make choices.

As for is it worth it, well there have been posts of people fishing off concrete jetties in heavy northerlie swells for flatties and small codlings, that in itself was carrying more risk than what we've discussed above.

I like the bounty that some of the more remote difficult spots have to offer
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So rather than continuing to argue about putting others lives at risk Andy, maybe it's better to respects the opinions and choices of others. I respect your opinion that for you , the cliff descents and old pier fishing doesn't sit comfortably with you. For others though that is part of why they go fishing.
    The emergency services are there to help all when they get into difficulties, if we stopped doing anything that may be in the slightest bit risky we would all be wrapped in cotton wool never daring to venture outside.

All the best and hope you can see the points I made. The cliffs always cause this response but it will always be defended.

Time for bed then on this one.

Regards Jellyworm.

4. redcarandy

redcarandy Guest

i keep replying leave it there and this will be my last post in this topic.

on a side note this will be the last topic i start i will just come on this forum to look around and keep my opinions to myself.

5. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Stick to the forum rules and everyone will be happy. I made the rules for a purpose. If we only had posts from individuals who took no risk and only went fihing on piers with crap frozen bait and spinners, what sort of a forum would it be ?? Just take a look at all the other dull forums for your answer.

6. sarge

sarge Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi Andy,just read your post on WSF.look like you're thinking about fishing Steetley. :no: :no: :no:

7. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

when you get on board an aircraft essentially you are in a cigar tube with wings travelling at about 550 mph seven miles up in the air when you
    think of it a bit dodgy could easily spring to mind , but we all do it so maybe being on a ladder with a safety harness on with a high level of competence isnt such a bad thing after all

8. redcarandy

redcarandy Guest

to be onist i really dont care u wanna fish steetly fish it to be onist i couldnt care less its you risking your lifes if u think its worth it carry on :)

now lets leave it there :)

9. ingoe1

ingoe1 Rockling

Try a spell check mate :laugh:

10. sarge

You change your mind about fishing it then? why?
    too far to carry your ladder,hammer and a bag of six inch nails will do :canadian: :canadian: :canadian:

11. redcarandy

redcarandy Guest

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

12. sarge

and you aint risking your life fishing the south gare?

13. redcarandy

redcarandy Guest

errm no not on 40 feet thick concrete on flat seas for mackrel do you ?

and like i keep saying i dont care anymore im bored to death now so i will leave it there.

14. sarge

my last post on the subject.You can still fall in,seen it happen a few times

15. redcarandy

redcarandy Guest

sarge idc mate like i said im bored now so i will leave this topic alone fish were ya like i dont really care .......... wish id never brought the subject up.

16. robq

robq Rockling

You cant start a thread like this Andy and not expect some heated debate !!

Just because you want to call time on it ,it does not mean that other lads who have something to say cannot post it just because YOU say so.

You do seem to have some unhealthy obsession with the place and keep revisiting this thread yourself so why dont you practice what you preach and just leave it alone now :nerd:

17. redcarandy

redcarandy Guest

why dont u do the same rob like i said im bored now im bored mostly by you dont tell me what to do ok !

infact ill practice what i preach this topic is finished for me i really carnt be botherd with the hassle.

and i really carrnt be botherd with the -7 rep stuff just because i have a point of view the THE LEGENDS IN THERE OWN MINDS of this forum are allways right, so whats the point of having any view on any subject none is the answer.

18. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

19. robq

robq Rockling

:gum: :gum:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

20. redcarandy

redcarandy Guest

:baby: :baby: :baby: :baby: :baby: