1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steetly Pier - Is It An Accident Waiting To Happen

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by redcarandy, Jun 10, 2010.

1. redcarandy

redcarandy Guest

i wanted to ask should the emergency services be called if u fished steetly and u had an accident.

i personally think no as its dangerous as hell and to risk your life for a fish is stupidity, whilst the emergency services are attending you, they could be attending some 1 who really needs there help.

i really think that if u fish steetly u are dangerous and stupid just for a fish !

2. ingoe1

ingoe1 Rockling

Re: steetly pier

Need long legs to get on there now mate

3. Stevie

Stevie Blenny

Red bull might get you over.

4. BOOMSTICK

BOOMSTICK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Well you could say thay about any fishing mark realy i know i have fished some dodgy places and im sure most people on this site have. and if you do hurt your self or get in trouble then why shouldnt you call the emergancy services? at the end of the day if your hurt and need help your not just goIng to think well hang on im silly for coming here so i think i will just lye here and die lol

5. BOOMSTICK

I do see were your coming from redcarandy but why just steetly? as i mentioned above most places people fish are dangerous just got to keep switched on and dont start monging it

6. portlandbill

portlandbill Blenny

fishing is dangerous at lots of places, gare/skinny/scars/cliffs/pub there is always the unexpected, i agree with boomstick . its our choice!!!!! but think about it

7. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

8. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

What a strange question. Would you not expect the emergency services to be called if you were injured in a car crash,playing football,riding a bike along a main road,rock climbing or swimming in the sea to name just a few everyday activities redcarandy ?
    All could be deemed as dangerous.
    I do agree stupidity should be eliminated as much as possible and even charged for but I dont think anyone actually sets out with the intention to be injured whilst angling.

9. ingoe1

ingoe1 Rockling

Got it about right foo same as portland and boomstick,it's a dodgey game fishing but if your'e head's screwed on hopefully you come out the right side of the game.Booking a chopper later in the month to get onto Steetly anyone interested give us a bell :laugh:

10. redcarandy

redcarandy Guest

yeah but the difference is i dont drive a car deliberatly to have a crash ?

but people deliberatly fish a deathtrap i think there a difference.

11. BOOMSTICK

Yeh but if your driving and have a moment were you dont concentrate and take your eye off the road then accidents do happen you do have a valid point redcarandy but all im trying to say is its not just steetly and if you do have an accident and or get in trouble then why shouldnt the emergancy services be called?

12. jacfodder

jacfodder Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Emergency services should be called in all lives at risk situations. What you should be asking is am i that stupid (not personally) to put the lives of my rescuers at risk with all the pain and suffering that would cause.
    If the answer is yes then I have a padded room and one size fits all jacket you can borrow till the feeling goes away.
    all the best

13. monkeyhinger

monkeyhinger Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I really think you need to get a life mr redcar andy! you really seem to have a massive obsession with the jetty and how dangerous it supposedly is!

I have personally fished on it (Legally and also Illegally) and only stopped for a couple of years when the security guards got wise and started to not take your couple of quid to watch your car and open the gate for you (They got greedy, or on a who you know basis!) and I have NEVER REPEAT NEVER had any injury or what can even be called a near miss!
    I believe that is down to self vigilance and if you decide to have a beer or a dozen or take drugs or ride bikes with 2 year old kids on the crossbar while possibly doing both of the previous then mate you are asking for trouble dont you agree?

As for the jetty now! Whoever cut the section away has in fact broke the law in my opinion! They have for one made even more likelyhood of a accident simply because anglers will not be beaten and will devise some claptrap way of scaling the legs to get on like hammering 6 inch nails into the legs or making a makeshift ladder with wood and string or something equally as dangerous! Someone will get hurt then it will ALL start again the BAN THE SITE! BAN THE SITE ITS A DEATH TRAP shouts!!!!!
    Secondly I also think that they have committed unlawful damage as the jetty does not belong to the land developers NO-ONE knows who it actually belongs to there is an on-going investigation to find out !

14. rabbi2

rabbi2 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Forgive my ignorance, buy I don't know the location, (Lancashire lad), but it occurs to me as an outsider that whoever has done the damage may have possibly done it with the best intentions, IE to avoid an accident and to deter folk from using it. So lets not condemn them out of hand as I have seen similar posts on other sites where everyone jumps on the band wagon so to speak.
    Those who have done the damage would have possibly been more constructive in making the venue safe rather than adding to the risk that some folk are prepared to take with little or no regard for those who have to rescue them.
    Rant over sorry
    Cheers
    Keith

15. redcarandy

redcarandy Guest

monkeyhinger i got a life mate and im keeping it and personal insults i dont think i engaged in any so why have you.

anyway i aint obssesed with steetly i couldnt care less about it its a dump.

what i am stating is that its dangerous end of story

16. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

In reality, anyone who knows rock angling in this region knows that 90% of the venues are far more dangerous than a derilict pier will ever be. Have a think of how mny people died last year whilst persuing thier hobbey in the region, non of them were on steetley pier.

[​IMG]

Picture from

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1685.

17. smokey

smokey Rockling

Is that pic of the worlds most extreme window cleaning round glenn :whistle: :wink: :happy: tight lines

18. Ian Alexander

Ian Alexander Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

:laugh: I thought that it may have been a visiting Scotsman that had dropped a pound coin :laugh:

Regards Ian

19. jacfodder

jacfodder Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Reply 15
    Get gellyworm to take robson green down there for his next series :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

20. robq

robq Rockling

As has already been said, there are far worst spots in terms of risk than a dodgy pier !!

That pic of bemmo is me and I had a harness, descending device and a good well anchored rope, so the risk is managed !!

Health and safety geeks please dont bother posting how irresponsible you think it is, as I dont really care :cheesy: :cheesy: