1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Staithes, Port Mulgrave, Runswick, Kettleness and Sandsend Cliffs To Be Closed.

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Feb 27, 2013.

1. West Cliff Miff

West Cliff Miff Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Cheers Dan

Having a brilliant time as it happens. Keep catching the strangest looking critters you've ever seen - real toothy sods too.

Hope the info from Wildlife Trusts raises the mood a bit, although I'd be interested to know what Glenn makes of it.

See you in a couple of weeks.

Miff

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

My question would be, Who are the wildlife trust and what authority do they have to speak about MCZ. If they are a body with the authority to speak then the news is good. In the past we have had people like The Marine Conservation Society (Official sounding title) speaking about MCZ as if they have the authority, yet they are just a green charity with little more inside info than anyone else and just as little authority.

My questions would be asked to DEFRA, Net Gain And NEIFCA

3. West Cliff Miff

Fair comment Glenn, and I share the worry about them simply being well-intentioned advisors rather than actual policy-makers.

Given that, do you have advice on how I/we can engage with this consultation to get the best results. I can't stand the sense of being in other people's hands over something so important.

I'm quite happy to lobby and get involved to whatever level is required - I just don't want to waste time faffing about with minor bureaucrats (although I'll do that too if its required!)

Best

Miff

4. smokey

smokey Rockling

Paul,you are quite right that the new proposed MCZ will have no effect on you for the near future.
    The trouble is,once it's there it's never going away that's a fact.
    At any point after it has been designated and implemented as an MCZ,one of the buffon government quangos IE Natural England,Net Gain etc can come up with some spurious 8ullsh1t claims about how"the pink striped fart flea" is being disturbed.
    The next step is making the MCZ an NTZ (no take zone) which shafts everybody and the way things are going it's only a matter of time before it happens.

5. Baramundi Bob

Hi matey, reply to the consultation with DEFRA, and get on NEIFCAS nerves as much as possible, ring Dave Mcandless every day of the week with a different statement he should understand on why anglers can never be seen as a threat to fish stocks :laugh:.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/consult/2012/12/13/marine-conservation-zones-1212/

6. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

I sometimes wonder all this talk of anglers being banned from the restricted area if they read whats being said would put ideas into there heads as anybody knows who has slightest inclinging about what really goes on out at sea anglers pose no threat in real terms but we are dealing with people who DONT really know what really goes on out at sea.

paul.

7. Davo

Davo Rockling

I havn't put this up to get the petition signed, but it maybe relevant to this thread. DEFRA want all types of fishing banned along this zone just to support a type of worm.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/949/033/376/save-our-local-fishermen/

8. West Cliff Miff

Thanks for the steer Glenn, I'll get on to it!

Miff

9. piere

piere New Member

Ever wondered where they get their info from. is it off forums like this or from genuine research.

10. Roger Melly

Roger Melly Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Quick update from Todays Guardian..

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2013/mar/08/richard-benyon-hugh-fearnley-whittingstall-seas

Roger

11. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Now that was easy wasn,t it , some one using common sense and asked a simply worded question, :yes:
    great news i am sure for everyone ,

hope you manage to get a fish or two , if you dont at least you will be warm trying to ,
    Happy holiday Miff :cool:

12. Baramundi Bob

I cant answer that question for every situation Pierre, but I do have some first hand knowledge from a question I asked of NEIFCA when they were NESFC. I think it was Dave Mcandless who gave the answer when I asked how they knew where anglers fish, and where charter boats fished, he told me they had been collecting data for years. Whilst out in their boat or on the rib, everytime they saw a charter boat fishing, they would pass close and take the gps readings, same for people they see angling on the shore or collecting bait. They do have a mass of information on us already. Not sure if you would call that research but that info is from the horses mouth.

13. Baramundi Bob

The thing you need to remember Harry is, that this response came from someone with no authority to give it.

Go ask the same question to the correct people and see what Gobbledegook they send back.

14. West Cliff Miff

Thanks for the good wishes Harry, although looking at the seas over there, part of me wishes I was back on Whitby West this weekend.

I'm going to have a good go at the various government departments when I get back, but as Glenn says, I'm half-expecting to get buried under an avalanche of evasion, gobbledygook and self-serving bullcrap when I do.

But, you never know - after all, they supposedly all work for us and they might, just might, give us some straight answers if we are persistent and direct enough. Gonna try anyway.

Hope those that get out this weekend stay safe and find a few big 'uns.

15. Baramundi Bob

Might be worth a read :

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=30029.0

16. West Cliff Miff

Yeah, I picked up on that Glenn - very helpful post - and have spent a couple of hours this morning reading the Minister's paper on the consultation. Well, I am am on holiday and there's nothing else to do!!

Apart from getting a headache from trying to make sense of the beaurocratic bullish@t, I came across a couple of what seem to be a couple of important sections.

One states that the Marine Management Organisation (MMO) "have powers to create by-laws (even) whilst further evidence gathering is taking place". This is a LOT of power, and may infer that they could take action even if the MCZ was not fully implemented i.e. pending further investigation and evidence (one of the commonest observations with the paper is that many areas lacked sufficient evidence upon which to base decisions - also why many of the proposed MCZ's were turned down).

This also begs the question of what the hell they are basing decisions on if the evidence is so flimsy. Makes engaging with the consultation all the more important.

It may not be as sinister as it sounds but it does mean we need to be conversant with their thinking and, ideally, have them on side or at least appraised of the viewpoint and strength of feeling of sea anglers.

Another states that IFCA's (in our case, NEIFCA) "have powers to take management actions in their districts for the purpose of making a contribution to the achievement of sustainable development". Quite what this means is open to a fair bit of interpretation, but it re-emphasises the point that you have made repeatedly, that Dave McAndless is a key player that we need to be lobbying hard.

One other small point, one of the specific benefits cited as one of the reasons TO set up MCZ's is " our impact assessment considered the following benefits that designating MCZ's would create ....... (bullet point 3) Recreation - angling .........." So they have specified that angling is a significant and explicit beneficial element in the establishing of MCZ's. I think this is very significant and something that we should be citing when we get involved in the consultation. It may, of course, mean that establishing MCZ's will benefit angling ELSEWHERE, but it does not say this explicitly and therefore it's fair game to quote angling is specifically cited as one of prime motivations for establishing an MCZ.

So that's my starter for ten. From having read pages and pages of guff I would summarise:-

We need to provide lots of evidence and opinion to the consultation process, otherwise vested interests and idiots will make our decisions for us - angling is not harmful to MCZ's and is one of the cited intended beneficiaries of them

We should be lobbying the likes of Dave McAndless - exactly as Glenn has been saying - and trying to ensure that he is fully appraised of the above.

Sorry the above is so wordy, but it seems important.

Best to everyone

Miff