1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Staithes, Port Mulgrave, Runswick, Kettleness and Sandsend Cliffs To Be Closed.

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Feb 27, 2013.

1. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

thats what i said,there were only seven fish on there original "TO SAVE " list ,Giant Goby,Couchs Goby,Long and Short Snouted sea Horse's,european eel ,smelt and the undulate ray

2. oneeyed

oneeyed Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

You can imagine the amount of revenue the government will lose in north east from pleasure fisherman like ourselves. Fishing is the biggest participant sport in Britain. Fair enough they want to make these zones but why not out at sea. Is it because they can't police these areas effectively. Must admit I not read up on subject to any extent just a view.

3. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

I have a feeling that one year from now we will still be fishing legally in the same places we have always fished fro the shore

4. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

:yes: :yes: :yes:

5. SAGE

SAGE always trying...... some say very trying !!!!!

it also affect's from whitley bay to alnmouth.... in the north of the region... this a proposed MCZ .....after reading your original post Glenn... i posted on NESA

heres the link.... http://www.nesa.co.uk/forums/shore-fishing/183933-we-losing-right-fish-2.html

an interesting reply from "Loopy"...

cheers for opening a few eyes Glenn...

6. Pugwash

Pugwash Blenny

Staithes to Sandsend

This will only be closed to trawlers etc.;
    Rod, charter, etc. will be fine, and this is from a reliable official. So should improve the catches.

7. Mike

Mike Blenny

Re: Staithes to Sandsend

This will only be closed to trawlers etc

I hope your right Pugwash.

8. Tim in Yorkshire

Tim in Yorkshire Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Re: Staithes to Sandsend

Spearfishing still allowed?

And pots?

9. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Lets have his name then ? and who he works for.

10. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

Must work for NEIFCA as this is from DEFRA site.

Q. Who will enforce/manage the MCZs?

Enforcement and management of MCZs will be undertaken by the regulatory authorities responsible for the activities concerned. For example, fishing activities impacting on MCZs within 6 miles of the English coast will be managed by the relevant Inshore Fisheries and Conservation Authorities and outside 6 miles it will fall to the Marine Management Organisation.

11. bucko

bucko New Member

As I said- I've been digging, and I like to think the truth is out there, somewhere :tease:
    I have asked the admins of their page who they are working for, who they represent and who pays for what they do.
    8 asks of the question, 5 days of asking and organisations with top level social media response teams such as River Cottage, Keo Films (who produce HFF, River Cottage), Energyshare (love putting hydro in salmon rivers) and C4 have failed to reply.
    Look into where their funding comes from and how they made their money.....or choose not to- its up to you.

12. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Not necessarily, DEFRA, Net Gain and Natural England have all been involved up to this point. NEIFCA will draft the byelaw at request of DEFRA and then they will enforce it.

13. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Speaking to david macandless yesterday from NSFC and he told me that nothing was going to change this year in the area concened and he said it looked like angling would not be affected in the closed area he also said also the present area which is allready closed to trawling wouldnt change and that the use of static gear potts etc would probably continue as normal it is not going to be a NTZ just an MTZ so fingers crossed its just an extension of what we have now so if david is right everybody can breath out and rightly so.

paul.

14. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I have to say that I totally support marine conservation areas, preferably all around our coast, as long as they only ban scallop dredging and net trawling.
    If they ban crab pots and rod angling, then this is madness.
    I, for one, will just continue to fish, and plead ignorance if I am approached by a policeman on the boulders at Cloughton Bay.
    As anglers, though, we should support any reasonable measure to conserve our fish and our sport. If trawling was banned within ten miles of all our coastline, we would have thriving fish population.
    Remember Iceland? We went nuts when they banned our trawlers, but look at them now. One of the few healthy marine environments left, and a thriving fishing community.

15. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Its not going to happen lads

16. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Hopefull not cliff sense should prevail .

paul.

17. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

even if it does how are they going to police it, big al , half way down a vertical cliff , me round barefleet , ray down blea wyke, pete running all over the place, matty "i dont know where i was , ask our lad".

all i know is if it happens it aint gonna bother me at all :no:

18. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

its not difficult paul,they just sit and wait next to your car,the same as they do when youve got pots in from the shore

19. West Cliff Miff

West Cliff Miff Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

An update and some more information for everyone to consider. Whilst not definitive, it is at least good news.

I wrote to the Wildlife Trusts re the MCZ and tried to get answers to the key questions that we've been asking:-

"My name is ......... and I live in Whitby.

I am keen to engage with the process of consultation re the proposed Marine Conservation Zones and would appreciate clarification of one key point.

Whilst the proposed MCZ around Runswick Bay will apparently allow 'some small coble fishing', does it or does it not allow or specifically ban shore and/or kayak angling?

It is extremely difficult to make an accurate interpretation from the (I am sure, necessarily) legally worded documents, so could you please answer the following two questions:-

1. Will the MCZ explicitly forbid shore angling by rod?

2. Will the MCZ explicitly forbid kayak angling by rod?

These questions are of paramount importance to local residents and I would greatly appreciate your assistance in clarifying the position"

I received a reply this morning from a guy who is 'Living Seas Officer' which went as follows:-

"Thank you for your email regarding the MCZ consultation process. In terms of answers to both of your questions, although management is yet to be set for the site, it's purpose is to protect the site from the most damaging and degrading activity. As the site is already a no-trawl zone this means that this is likely to stay in place but other, non-damaging activity, including rod angling either by shore or kayak is likely to be unaffected. I hope that this reassures you but please do contact me if you have any additional queries"

He also left direct contact numbers for me should I wish to follow it up.

All in all, whilst not definitive, this is very encouraging and I feel a lot brighter about the whole thing as a result.

This comes to everyone from Lanzarote, where the sun in shining but the fishing has been pretty disappointing. From what I'm reading, it's also been pretty dire there too!

Hope everyone is OK

Miff

20. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

nice one miff, hope your having a ball out there catch up when you get back