1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Staithes, Port Mulgrave, Runswick, Kettleness and Sandsend Cliffs To Be Closed.

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

http://www.mczmapping.org/

[​IMG]

Looking at the map for the marine conservation zone at Runswick Bay (to be implememnted in 2013), it looks like it will extend five miles to sea from Sandsend Ness, and run up as far as Staithes.

This is one big area for sea anglers to loose. If as proposed we loose the sea angling in that area then we will loose all the marks in between including Staithes, Port Mulgrave, Runswick, Kettleness, Goldsborough and Sandsend Cliifs.

Anyone angry yet OR SHOULD IT BE CLOSED BECAUSE SEA ANGLERS ARE PUTTING PRESSURE ON FISH STOCKS ?

2. steven watt

steven watt seafishing more

3. Baramundi Bob

err...... what do you think. If you cant fish there how on earth can you have a match. Come on guys wake up.

4. bucko

bucko New Member

It'll keep those middle class Waitrose fish buyers happy and stop them really questioning whats happening at sea.

5. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

its absolutely ridiculous . may as well just pack in if it happens!

6. ash-ov-boro

ash-ov-boro Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

:surprise: SHOCKING! WHERE WE MENT TO GO

i have never fished any of them this year was the year i was going to give them all ago now it looks like i cant :( if they keep this up we will all be crammed on piers then they will go aswell

ABSOLOUTLEY BULL CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. carpyken

carpyken New Member

...and the whole of Holderness...there was a two page spread in the Hull Daily Mail over a week ago, I was amazed how no one on our Holderness sister site picked up on it back then...

8. Baramundi Bob

I think a lot of anglers just arent very bright Ken. Masses of them up here went to meetings with Net Gain, they hadnt a clue what was going on and then they all signed the attendance sheet. Net Gain will now turn round and say, well we spent £8 million on consultation and no-one other than Glenn Kilpatrick said it was a bad idea.

I noted the whole of Holderness as well Ken, are people awake down that neck of the woods ?

9. mike_t

mike_t Jackson Kayak Team Member

That covers just about every mark I love, angry would be an understatement what tool comes up with this crap.
    My question is what can we do to stop it from going ahead

10. deano72

deano72 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i think its all a big joke,do they think a couple off men with rods are to blame for no fish,this is a very big area to close down,some places i have never fished but still would like to be able to if i wanted too,
    if the get away with it htem in wont be long b4 the rest of he coast line has no fish zone,
    as for it been 5 miles out then im sure a few off the whitby commercial ,charter an pleasure skipers will be hit hard,,

11. BigPauly

BigPauly Tina Turner _ Simply The Best

WHAT!!!!

If this happens it will just put more pressure on the other places to fish.

Then where does all this end?

The next area will be Whitby and then we'll all be completely buggered with nowhere to go!!

Should have seen this sort of thing coming a mile off when the idea of a sea fishing licence fell on it's arse!

BP

12. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

have been reading the docs on this, lots of bullcrap in it but it seems the major reason is to save clams!

13. BigPauly

BigPauly Tina Turner _ Simply The Best

Just Ban Lobbers!

That should take the pressure off fish stocks.

BP

14. deano72

deano72 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

so what can be done to try and stop this from happening ????????

15. Easy Yakker

Easy Yakker simply messing about in boats

This is an MCZ not a NTZ and it depends what it is intended to conserve, so fishing is not necessarily banned? Is the writing in red on the map your addition, because I can't find it on the original website map that your links takes me to. You need to establish what the conditions are for this particular MCZ and what it is intended to conserve. For instance it may just restrict trawling, or boats anchoring, or fishing during the bird breeding season. Do you have a link to a site which states clearly that fishing is prohibited in this particular MCZ? The Angling Trust have prepared a good briefing document on what the impact of an MCZ will be on recreational sea angling - http://www.anglingtrust.net/page.asp?section=557

16. adrenalin.

adrenalin. Blenny

Re: Staithes, Port Mulgrave, Runswick, Kettleness and Sandsend Cliffs To Be Clos

Posted this up on the holderness forum a while ago with very little response.it was in the news letter when i applied for my pot tags.

17. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Going to read through as much info as I can before reacting, not that I can make any sense of it!

18. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

Public consultation is under way and ends 31st March 2013.

Get involved if you want your voices heard..

http://www.defra.gov.uk/consult/2012/12/13/marine-conservation-zones-1212/

19. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

from http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/Images/MCZ-regional-guidance_tcm6-23451.pdf ..

1) Definitions of terms
    To manage reference areas effectively, it is important to clarify which activities are extractive and depositional, as well as activities that induce unacceptable levels of damage and disturbance. Some activities may have little impact upon wildlife or protected features at low intensity, but increase to unacceptable levels at higher intensities. These terms must be defined so regulations can be set out for activities within reference areas that are clear to all users of the protected areas.
    Extractive activities are acts that involve the temporary or permanent removal, by intentional or unintentional means, of any living organisms or non-living materials or natural features from the marine environment.
    Depositional activities are acts that involve the intentional or unintentional laying down, movement or discharge of living or non-living materials or substances into the marine environment. This includes deposition of materials such as rocks, gravel or sand, building of structures, and release of any polluting or toxic or chemical substances, as well as discharge of ballast, untreated human waste, biodegradable and industrial waste and the discard of fish offal and by-catch.
    Damaging activities are intentional or unintentional acts that potentially result in permanent or temporary physical harm or injury to species, or cause permanent or temporary alteration to natural features within the marine environment. Physical
    damage would count as something which reduced an individual of a species’ ability to operate in a natural manner or caused impact to the wider marine environment through the alteration or loss of populations or natural features. For example, frequent access by visitors to intertidal sites could be considered damaging if the persistence of intertidal populations was reduced or altered by the effects of trampling.
    Disturbing activities are intentional or unintentional acts that interfere directly or indirectly with the normal functioning of populations beyond the natural variability of the ecosystem. Disturbing activities may result in distress to a population or longer-term deterioration in a population’s fitness (e.g. ability to feed or reproduce successfully). This may then impact upon future abundance, reproduction or distribution of protected populations.
    2) Activities and restrictions
    Activities considered either depositional or extractive would not be permitted in reference areas (Table 1).

then table 1 says Recreational Angling is "extractive" and "depositional"

therefore I can assume that it would not be permitted

20. carpyken

carpyken New Member

These are marine conservation zones, don't think for one minute they are any less of a threat that 'no take zones', Lundy was the first MCZ and you cannot even wipe your arse on the seaweed there.

This could effect a lot of the N E coast with the first wave of sites, or 'tranche' as they are calling it. This includes Runswick, the whole of Filey Brigg and surrounding seas, the whole of Scarborough up to Scalby Mills, the whole of Holderness way out into the sea which will include all the tope grounds, even as far as Lincolshire, that will be the smutt fishing gone then..

This is just the first tranche, what's coming after? You would probably think the whole of Flamborough and Bempton, they've had there eye on that since the beginning but we did put up a bit of fight for that one....