1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ST ABBS WHAT A BEAUTIFUL PLACE

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by big cliff, Apr 25, 2010.

Tags:
  1. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Last week i spent a few days in the Eyemouth and St Abbs area a place that is very close to my heart, i have had many great memories of this place dating back over 40 years , at times this is for the older members -- to many memories , i used to fish the
    Eyemouth two day festival and had and saw some great catches from the shore it was an event i really looked forward to but like
    most things the party came to an end when Drybroughs breweries the main sponser pulled out, while i was there i took a few photos which i think should fire both shore and kayak anglers alike, it was a strange feeling visiting some of the out of the way spots, standing on the same old rocks that i had done , so many years ago.

If i won the lottery i would bUy this house in St Abbs it has an amazing view over St Abbs harbour and down towards Eyemouth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i have had cod to over 11 lb from this mark in the Eyemoth match , its very close to the white cottage.

[​IMG]

Another good mark i used to fish just in front of the white cottage looking towards the breakwater

[​IMG]

A view of part of the harbour at St Abbs

[​IMG]

The village of St Abbs

[​IMG]

A view of St Abbs village from the cliff tops on St Abbs Head

[​IMG]

The beautiful beach at Coldingham Bay just a short distance south of St Abbs

I hope you liked the pictures and you visit this beautiful area which as i have said before is a real GEM

2. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Alan thanks for posting the pictures it looks like a fishermans paradice i like the look of coldingham beach and the slip at st abbs the next time I'm over that way ill stop and have a look wouldn't mind a few days over there with the boat any caravan parks near by you know of tightlines Alain

3. IanB

IanB Blenny

Hi Alan, I was up there a couple of years ago with the caravan (and Wife) for a few days, its good to tell from the photo's that you're part mountain goat HaHa, I'd love to be able to walk down Coldingham Bay again and take a rod (or 2), We stayed just outside Berwick @ Ord House Country Park and I investigated all around the area up to St Abbs, What a beautiful place, looks very tackle hungry like, whilst we were there the harbour at Eyemouth was full of the biggest seals you could wish to see, i would'nt like to have tried fishing there!
    I fancy going to New England Bay on my next trip to scotland (Luce Bay area), been some good thornie's caught!
    Cracking pics Alan

Ian

4. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

great pics Alan, it really looks like a cracking place :yes:

5. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Theres 2 sites at coldingham bay that would cater for your needs one is called scoutscroft that would be ideal for you, i cant remember the name of the other one off the top of my head but it would be showing on the internet , plus there is a haven camp at eyemouth

6. GJW

GJW Rockling

Great pic's Al, it really is a lovelly spot i will have to make the effort to get up there this year its been awhile since i was last there, think i will have to see Lee, Dav and the lads to see if they fancy taking the yaks up and stopping the night at Scoutscroft site, think the pollack fishing will be great on the kayak..

7. Wildcard

Wildcard Hartlepool Marina - Simply The Best

It is my favourite part of the world. The scenery is just stunning. We hire a cottage up there (St Abbs) with a coal fire. I like it when it is in the middle of winter with a hooligan blowing hard. We go out walking on the cliff top and come back chilled to the bone. The fire goes on, a leg of lamb goes in the oven and the beer comes out. Magical.

8. portlandbill

portlandbill Blenny

eyemouth festival alan, they where good weekends even got nelson and minnie in the pub there once (the whale) think dryboroughs went into sponsoring fresh water matches. always fancy going back there for a look, can u remember the car that got stranded on the beach at eyemouth with tide coming in and our john (mescus) pulled it out with his austin gypsy

9. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

It would be a fantastic venue for a kayak competition , its only around 12 miles past Berwick , so nobody living in the north of england
    can say its a big journey, its well worth giving it a go :yes: :yes: :yes:

10. speno

speno Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Thanks for that big cliff been trying to talk my mates into going up there with the kayaks.There was a few posts about the place last year and it looks spot on and not as far as the mull.all the best Keith

11. Ian Alexander

Ian Alexander Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hello,
    some great photos Alan thanks for posting them, as you know I love St.Abbs.....I have some great memories from the area.

It is such a shame that some people want us stop fishing the area though :sad:

Regards Ian

12. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

I memories, memories , yes i remember john and his brother dave , i remember Vera Robinson once asking at a redcar angling club
    commitee meeting ---- if anybody had any information about D Mescus , i couldnt resist saying It killed all household germs :laugh: :laugh: memories

13. portlandbill

portlandbill Blenny

never mind me killing germs, vera nearly killed me with that scooter on rcar high street, i remember we where fishing the north side rock edges and john was fishing into a little hole and pulled a good fish out, and a few minutes later a diver came up! john was adamant he caught it fair and square but we said he had paid the diver

14. Dav

Dav Rockling

Some stunning pics there Al . Looks a real nice place up there , I can always rememeber reading the sea angler when there was a write up on eyemouth , seems to be some good pollock ground up there ....Cheers

15. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Looks like a lovely place Alan with some very nice looking marks, cheers for postings those up :yes:

I'll be up for some kayaking fishing up there, bring it on! :cheesy:

16. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

The thing is you can usually find somewhere out of the wind and chew , if its blowing across from berwick you could fish on the edinburgh side of St Abbs head , just go down the road before you reach the village theres a beautiful area to launch from called petticoe wick
    theres a stony beach or an old slipway, you can park in a small car park and carry your kayaks down the grass slope ---- if its blowing the other
    way you can launch from St Abbs harbour or coldingham bay where you will find more sheltered conditions, a north wind would be a no no ----
    you could also launch out of eyemouth from the beach theres some good ground out of there, down by the golf course which is just to the south
    of the harbour holds cod and some good pollack, another place you can launch out of is Burnmouth , AS YOU TURN OFF THE A 1 coming up from Berwick you only go a couple of hundred yards then turn right down the steep hill into Burnmouth and the harbour, theres some lovelly ground
    heading to the north from this village, you are spoilt for choice, the TIDE is about 1 HOUR before TEESBAY TIME , i hope this helps

17. deecee

deecee Blenny

Thanks for posting this Alan - I enjoyed the read and the photos. Looks a stunning place

18. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Over the years i have seen a good variety of fish from the shore including cod to over 16 lb , pollack to close on 10 lb , conger to around 30 lb
    decent sized catfish , good coleys, scad, mackerel, good sized flounders so fishing from your Kayak could be very interesting to put it mildly