1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

St.Abbs Proposed Marine Protected Area.

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Ian Alexander, Apr 25, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Ian Alexander

Ian Alexander Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hello,
    St.Abbs head and Coldingham bay are areas that many on this site will have fished or visited and even if you have not yet had the pleasure to do so I'm sure that everyone that has seen photos of the area will agree what a fantastic place it is...just look at Big Cliffs great post and photos.

However, just like the situation with Flamborough head, there are those that do not want us to enjoy fishing this area and indeed many others, (Fife Ness, Flamborough Head.....).

St.Abbs head has for a long time been a voluntary nature reserve but now there are plans afoot to stop us altogether by making the area a "Marine Protected Area". Have a look at the following link....very worrying :suspious:

http://www.yourseasyourvoice.com/mpa/?region=10&site=73

You can also look at other areas around the uk that have also been proposed, there is also a chance to vote for your Marine Protected Area!!!!!.....I have voted against these proposals but all I got back was an email inviting me to join the Marine Conservation Society!!!!

Please have a look.

Regards Ian.

2. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

As you say Ian its quite disturbing what is being proposed , the thing is there are quite a few areas within the zone that dosent contain cliff nesting areas, when i have fished St Abbs head i have always avoided sensative areas and would urge all interested parties to do the same
    there is room for both wildlife and considerate anglers

3. newdave

newdave Guest

this is simply a pressure group that are lobbying to get areas designated no take zones so that scuba divers can have it all to themselves. the fancy web site is designed to appear official. they also want flamborough head as well.

4. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

the marine conservation society came under some criticism recently from natural england for stirring things while the consultation progress is under way.they area good reason why anglers should get invovled in the decision making,so they dont get there own.

5. ohmycod

ohmycod New Member

Hi Ian
    Just moved up here and was planning to fish all the marks possible on the Northumberland coast. Looks like I had better be quick.