1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

St Abbs Head

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by carpyken, Sep 14, 2012.

Tags:
  1. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Had a lovely chilled out paddle with mate Neil last Sunday. Even if you dont watch the whole thing, check out the last few minutes, the place was crawling with fish :happy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5aYXmTvIVQ

Ken

2. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

brilliant footage Ken, love the commentary :yes: awesome water clarity

3. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Awesome footage of the Mackerel. How long from Whitby by car ??

4. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

its about 2 and a half from guisborough Glenn

5. Baramundi Bob

Have you fished it Matty ?? Id drive 3 hours for good shore pollacking if it was available.

6. carpyken

carpyken New Member

We paddled this on neaps but Neil was saying on a bigger tide the flow rips around a lot of these outcrops - lots of them look really accessible for the shore angler.... and get this, it was last sunday, lovely weather and I didn't see one angler...

Some of the earlier footage nearer Coldingham reminds me very much of Guernsey and yet he was saying very few bass get caught.

Free parking everywhere and a real lack of people, brilliant place, oh and 4 miles of the A1.

I'll ask him to pop along, Neil used to fish this whole area really frequently.

Ken

7. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

only fished it for Cod Glenn. I'm sure Big Alan will be able to provide the info on Pollack.

8. Davie l

Davie l Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Ive fished it many times bob, fishes well for pollock and wrasse from may to sept but the start of the summer can be a total nightmare with the seal colony who populate it every year, literally hundreds of them and you will land 2 out of 5 fish hooked as then have no quams of coming right out the water after your hooked fish, first couple is funny but then it becomes annoying.

Pm me if you need any help on this one, im only in glasgow so know it quite well ;-)

Davie

9. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Awesome video Ken, looks a great place to paddle. fishing would be secondry for me paddling around there. Underwater footage was excellent as well, cracking job there bud. Me n Matty talked about fishing there this year but never got round to it, after watching that I'm regreting not getting over.

10. deecee

deecee Blenny

Superb video- really enjoyed it. Thanks!

11. dunlin

dunlin Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

12. andym

andym Rockling

BRILLIANT Video Ken I enjoyed that mate!

13. willow110688

willow110688 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I've fished St Abbs about a dozen times, have had some good cod fishing there to 5lb, but this depends on if the fisherman have their nets out. wrasse fishing can be brilliant using peeler just cast down the side of ledges and I've caught countless wrasse to 4lb.I've had a lot of pollack there on redgills, biggest being about 3.5lb and even a few codling on redgills. A friend of mine caught over 100 billet and pollack from the shore there in one day, great sport on light tackle. I also think if you explored the area abit more, you could find a better stamp of pollock

14. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Its about 3 hrs run from whitby , around 150 miles , Its a very special place

15. Baramundi Bob

Any big pollack, like 10 pounders ?

16. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

I have sung its praises many times on the Forum , now you can see for yourself , it really is unique on the eastern seaboard of the UK , a real gem ------- I recognised quite a few marks I have had the pleasure of fishing , the last place was the slipway at Petticoe Wick , so lads stop thinking about it and just do it

17. SAGE

SAGE always trying...... some say very trying !!!!!

great video ken... it captures the place fantastically .... it shows the real beauty of the coast ...but it can be a horrific place in bad weather...
    and if anyone is passing J61 on the A1 on the way up let me know and i will join you.. :wink: :wink:
    cheers
    Paul

18. Ian Alexander

Ian Alexander Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hello,
    Brilliant Ken.....one of my favourite places ever.

Here's some info on getting there and a couple of marks for anyone interested, http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=12486.msg110037#msg110037

The climbs look bad but they are not as bad as some of the climbs down at Whitby :whistle: but be carefull and give it a miss if it's raining as they are like ice.

The marks in general get easier the closer to St.Abbs harbour you get, the worst ones are closer to the head. The "Black Gable" mark is one of the easier marks to get to, I was going there when my leg was bad.
    I have had some very good pollack here but they are not as frequent now as they were, I've had them to about the 9lb mark but I know lads that have had them to 12lb and 13 lb.
    My best fish have come to slow spun frozen sandeel and floatfished mackerel. I was told about St.abbs and spinning sandeel a long time ago when I was just a young lad by two anglers from Tynemouth club called Dave Hayley and Bill Davison. They had some fantastic fish from there and even wrote an article for Sea Angler about it.
    The new savage gear sandeels and sidewinders are good too but I've only just started to use them.

Apart from the pollack you get codling taking your lures too, particularly the orange sidewinders and white shads. If you want wrasse leger crab as close to the edge as you dare.
    My fishing has more or less come to a halt this past year for a couple of reasons but if anyone wants any more info then just ask me and if I can help then I will.

Regards Ian

19. Baramundi Bob

Nice one Ian. Maybe have to head up there with you at some point.

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=tags;tagid=406

20. Lindisfarne

Lindisfarne New Member

What a great bit of footage Ken. It makes such a difference when the sun is shining and the sea is calm.
    St Abbs Head is a special place and holds a good head of resident Pollock during the Summer months. If you opt to shore fish from the easily accessible marks you will find they get wiped out fairly early on in the season. Attack it from the sea in a kayak though and you can get to marks that the roving shore angler can’t reach.

Last Sunday Ken and I only got as far as Petticowick Bay but a little foray further North, up towards Fast Castle will have leave you drooling. We’ve had several Pollock on these marks knocking on the door of double figures. Landing them is the biggest challenge with them running back down into such heavy ground.

We launched from Coldingham Bay last Sunday, this gives you the option of heading round to St Abbs Head or wetting a line along the stretch of coastline to the South towards Eyemouth. Anyone who has read David Storey’s “The Codling Crouch” will know how good this bit of water can be. There’s a few shelves that run out a fair way along past yellow Craig. If you trawl these with jelly’s etc, you will be guaranteed some decent fish.
    From the shore look for the biggest tides, from the kayak pick anything but the dullest of neaps. Watch out for all the rubber Johnnies, they were everywhere on Sunday. On slack they dive the wrecks that lie of the NW point, as the tide picks up they drift dive along the face of the stacks and the Head.

I’ve seen some of the cliffs you guys manage to get down so St Abbs will be a walk in the park for you. As Cliff mentioned, take care if there’s a heavy ground swell. I’ve paddled there when the incoming swell reflects back and keeps you well back from the action.
    I used to fish the shore for Codlings here back in the eighties and it was superb, now even the boats struggle. The Codling are still there but fewer in numbers. There’s plenty Wrasse to be had, these can give good sport but they are not so great whenwearing a breadcrumb jacket. I’m surprised the shore anglers don’t catch more Wolf fish as the divers frequently photograph them right under your feet. Just take a look in Sir Francis Dippers book of Sea Fishes of the British Isles and look at where all the pictures were taken, quite a high percentage were taken at St Abbs Head.
    I’m sure anyone making the journey will not be disappointed with the surroundings, the fishing, like anywhere else can be patchy.

Neil.