1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

St Abb's & Eyemouth places worth a visit

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by big cliff, May 2, 2009.

Tags:
  1. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Hello everyone, Just returned from a trip up to St Abb's and Eyemouth with the good lady, unfortunately i couldn't do any fishing but it really brought back home to me what a stunning area it really is.. :yes:
    Over the years i have spent many a happy time fishing this stretch of coastline and fishing the Eyemouth festival match in the 60's 70's and 80's unfortunately the festival no longer run's but there is still plenty of good fishing to be had, with summer cod, pollack which can reach double figure and plenty of good size wrasse aswell.
    Its an area which is great for the shore angler and would be great for the kayak anglers amongst us and with the many headlands and bays there should always be a spot to get out of the wind..

Here are a few pic's i took hope it temps a few to give it a go... :happy:

[​IMG]

The harbour at St Abbs would be a great launch site, but also good cod fishing can be had from the harbour wall and surrounding rock edge's.

[​IMG]

If i ever win the lottery i would love to buy this house which over looks the harbour and coldingham bay..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before i knew it was time to come home again, but i really must say it is a remarkable place and well worth a visit for its stunning scenery and great summer fishing, if anyone would like anymore info on the area, i would only be to glad to help were ever i could..

Alan... :happy:

2. smokey

smokey Rockling

Stunning pictures Alan,it looks a lovely place to try,very pollacky :whistle: :happy:

3. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Great pictures Alan, I keep hearing tales of the red cod up there, I shall have to have a go sometime

4. GJW

GJW Rockling

I agree St Abb's and the Eyemouth area is truely awesome a rock anglers paradise, just wish i could get up there a bit more often, and like Alan said it would be a great place to fish from the kayaks as you dont have to venture too far out but can get amongst the islands were the shore anglers can't reach...

Crab is top bait for the cod and wrasse during the summer months, the pollack will take lures and float fished rag, mackeral and sandeel..

Great pics aswell Alan..

5. Fishaman07

Fishaman07 New Member

Some excellent pictures there,by the way is there any actual easy access marks up there where you can target pollacks(colins),red codling,mackeral,wrasse etc?

6. Dav

Dav Rockling

Superb pics al , looks lovely up that neck of the woods......

7. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

thyere are quite a few places where you can access the shore line to fish even on st abbs head itself there are a few spots to get at the fish , in the village of st abbs and the surrounding area ther are plenty of marks to fish , around eyemouth and to the south of it provides some great marks for fishing either from the shore or the yaks theres quite a few caravan parks in the area as well as BB even
    if you are not into fishing its a great walking area with superb scenery all around you and its only a few miles past berwick

8. Ian Alexander

Ian Alexander Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hello Big Cliff, some great photos there. St. Abbs and Coldingham are some of my favourite places with lots of good memories.
    I used to be in Shiremoor club and we held a lot of our summer league matches up there, from Burnmouth to St. Abbs harbour. Some good times.
    Regards Ian.

9. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Looks great Alan. Sadly I think I read somewhere that the summer fishing is not what it once was ?? Has anyone given the area a good going over in the past few years and what has the fishing been like in comparison to our own ??

Also I noticed there was no mention of Bass ?? If theres Islands and tidal runs between them then surely our silver friends are there too ?

10. stephen

stephen Guest

Some great pics of St Abbs Head there. Funnily enough I was there yesterday.

If you're fishing from any marks in this area be very careful. The marks are, what I would say, "high risk". They usually involve scaling down cliffs and because the area is a bird sanctuary there are plenty nesting birds which means they are constantly divebombing you.

The rocks between Eyemouth and St Abbs can be dangerous. In the past year or two, 2 fishermen have been washed off and killed :sad:

11. stephen

stephen Guest

Generally the water is too cold for bass, BB
    There are one or 2 places though where they can be found.

12. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

We used to say that about Whitby. We now know different.

13. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

good bags of bass have been taken to the north of st abbs for years so i think bass would be very much on the cards, as regards danger like everywhere there are spots that require alot of care, but there are many marks that are very easy to get at , if you look in the right places, like most summer kelp marks the flatter the sea the better alomg with good water clarity , so if the sea is rough forget it
    sadly the anglers that were lost were fishing when big swells were running

14. Fishaman07

Fishaman07 New Member

Thanks for the information mate.

15. Lindisfarne

Lindisfarne New Member

That area is my stomping ground...

The shore fishing used to be prolific back in the days of the big brewery matches at Eyemouth. It's now merely a Shadow of it's former glory. Don't get me wrong, there's still fish to be had but not in the numbers or quality of days gone by.

Eyemouth, around the golf course to the South and below the Cannons to the North of the harbour used to be bristling with rods on a flat calm Summers day. Now your lucky to find more than a couple of holiday makers there. The numerous Cod that frequented the weed filled gullies are now replaced with Ballan Wrasse, still good sport, but not the same reward in my book.

There's certainly good sport to be had from your Kayak. St Abbs is a cracking venue for Pollock fishing and some of the ground around the head towards Fast Castle is as rough as you will find anywhere.

Looking North towards Fast Castle from Peticowick Bay.....

[​IMG]

Fast Castle............

[​IMG]

Hurkers rocks, under the Cannons, Eyemouth.........

[​IMG]

Burnmouth Pollock............

[​IMG]

Needles Eye, South of Burnmouth........

[​IMG]

Basking Shark under St Abbs head, 2008..........

[​IMG]

If anyone is making the journey up with their kayaks give me a shout and I'll help you with marks, launch sites etc......

Neil.

16. thebigman

thebigman New Member

Don't know if it's of help but there's a bit about St Abbs over here - http://www.planetseafishing.com/features/read/pilgrims-to-the-saint/

17. langy

langy Rockling

I don't think i would wont to be in a yak when theres basking sharks about :scared: :hurt: