1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

St.Abbs, A Few Shore Marks and Kayak Launch

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Ian Alexander, Nov 4, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Ian Alexander

Ian Alexander Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hello All,
    Just a post to follow on from Big Cliffs post about St.Abbs. The following photos and text are a copy of a mesage I sent to another forum member and I thought that others may find the info useful.
    I have fished around St.Abbs quite a bit over the years and it's a cracking place to visit. I have not yet lauched my kayak there but I have plans for next year. Bigcod31 has launched here
    Regards Ian.

As you drive up the A1 I like to turn off for Eyemouth and drive up through Coldingham. Through Coldingham take the road signposted to St.Abbs and you will come to this turn off before St.Abbs harbour.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Take this turn off but don't follow the brown sign, follow the white sign (for the light house) and drive straight on. Drive slowly as you pass some houses and follow the winding road up to the Head closing any gates that you may have to open on the way. The road is winding with a few passing places and cattle grids.
    The first place you'll come to is Petticowick which is just past this gate on the road.

[​IMG]

Follow the road and you can park at the small gravel car park that the divers park up in. From here you look down at Petticowick Bay.

[​IMG]

I want to launch my kayak here as I have a friend that has and he has had some good fish. It's a scramble down though!! You can climb around the rocks on the right hand side and fish off the front, this is a good codling mark but can only be accessed at low tide.

[​IMG]

The best pollack marks are at the head though. Follow the road past Petticowick car park up the steep hill and park in the car park at the lighthouse. There is a box for donations here.
    The views are breathtaking. Here is the car park.

[​IMG]

The first mark is the crocodiles back and is just over the cliff in front of my car in the previous picture.

Looking down on the crocodiles back.

[​IMG]

This is where my best pollack came from, fish the small gulley on the left or straight off the front as the crab boats often have pots in the gulley. The way down looks worse than it is, go to the left as you look down on the mark and you'll see the path that winds it's way down, the only dodgy part is where the is shale at the foot of the cliff.

The next mark I call the step-over as you have a step/jump across a small gap to get on the rock.
    To get there walk around to the right of the lighthouse from the carpark and follow the path that skirts around the lighthouse buildings, then follow the path down to the mark which is just in front of the lighthouse. This is a harder climb down but there is room for a couple of anglers to fish a few rods in comfort. I like to fish off the front and put a float into the foghorn gulley.

[​IMG]

These marks were good for codling but there seems to be more wrasse nowadays, the big pollack are still there though.

[​IMG]

There are other marks further south but I've no photos as yet. At the wuddy rocks there are some very good codling marks but you park st the harbour car park and not at the head.

The area fishes best in calm conditions and please be cautious when climbing down. The rocks can be treacherous in the wet and are best avoided.
    Also the whole area is a voluntary reserve and the relationship between anglers and the trust wardens is a fragile one. With this in mind I like to fish early mornings and give it a miss in the main nesting season.

Regards Ian.

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Another excellent contribution to the site Ian. Many thanks for taking the time to make these posts that are helpful to many other site members.

3. stephen

stephen Guest

....alternatively
    As you drive up the A1 turn off for Eyemouth and drive up through Coldingham. Through Coldingham take the road to the right signposted Coldingham Bay. Car park is free and it is a beach launch with an easy paddle around to St Abbs head.
    Coldingham Bay is a surfing beach so check the webcam for wave size although it's only half a mile out of the way so if the sea is too big you can always just shoot off to the St Abbs launch site.
    Click on "Live Webcam" link
    http://www.stvedas.co.uk/surfcam.htm

4. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

great post Ian, very informative :yes:

5. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Cheers for that Ian, very informative. Me thinks a kayak trip up there will have to be sorted :yes:

6. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

a quality post ian, ive had many happy hours in that vicinity it really is a gem, ive had some nice pollack in the black gable area, another way to get to the area around horse castle rocks , if you are parked at petticoe wick walk down the path on the right hand side of loch mire and it takes you straight to it , so if you havent tried this area give it a go because you dont know what you are missing :yes: :yes: :yes:

7. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

nice one ian :happy: cheers for taking the time to post it

8. Dav

Dav Rockling

Tiop info Ian as always , Thanks for sharing....

9. Ian Alexander

Ian Alexander Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Cheers Big Cliff, I've never walked around Loch Mire but I've seen people go that way, I'll have to try it it looks a realy picturesque walk. When I've fished at Horscastle and Wuddy rocks I've walked north from the carpark at the village.
    Thanks, Ian.

10. steven pounder

steven pounder New Member

11. steven pounder

steven pounder New Member

Info spot on ian and great report.up there yesterday and fished the step over.unfortunately only one pollack about 1lb in weight.can tell it holds big fish just didn't wanna play.

12. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

great report that never been up there but fancy it now