1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. kajydog

kajydog Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Called in sainsbury's last week to buy a couple of fresh mack for a sesh. I noticed on the counter fresh Sprats, would they be any good as a dead bait. they were 11/2"-2" long and really shiny. Wondered if the would be ok as a static bait or as a lure on the retreive. Would be interested in your thoughts? :educated: Cheers.

2. robq

robq Rockling

I always stock up on them when they are in season and freeze them in packs of 5 or 6.

fantastic skate bait on the holderness and good for whiting too when cut in half lengthways and whipped on :yes:

A small fillet can be taken off and they are great for tipping worm baits. deadly for dabs when a tiny peice is used to tip sticky black lug

Much better than mackerel or bluey in my opinion :wink:

3. Mop The Hoople 2

Mop The Hoople 2 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I tend to "stock" up with them from Morrisons & as Robq, freeze in cling film, wrapping them (like making a rolly)

I use them for float fishing for mackeral.Also i use them for bass,mounted onto a clip on snood @ 3ft long ,clipped onto a
    power ball, enabling you to "trot" in the tide between shallow sand banks & kelp beds etc. I also use this method with
    jelly worms.Success is determined if the bait fish are being herded into these areas & can result in good sport.
    Ive also found that sandeels can also produce,so if you can,take both with you as one day one will fish better than the other
    & vise,versa.

4. kajydog

kajydog Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Thanks for the info lads much appreciated. Going fishing to Spike Island Widness Sunday with my son, havn't fished with him since he was a kid, he's 42 now. It's the only tide I've found where we can fish pretty much all day. Plenty flounder, dabs pin whiting and a bass was caught there last week. Anyway thanks a lot again lads.

5. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Don't forget this year Robster.........get me some when you stock up, out here in the land of mangroves and uncle Dad we don't have any of those Soopermarkets to buy bait from :wink:

6. robq

robq Rockling

bought loads in feb this year mate, that havnt been used so we are OK for this winter :yes: