1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Spooled'????

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by bucko, Mar 19, 2009.

1. bucko

bucko New Member

I keep seeing this term used on other forums, usually in relation to hooked 'large' bass.
    I understand what it means but surely (perhaps this is because I come from a background of salmon and sea trout fishing) if something is taking so much line from you the best thing to do is get it back under your control as soon as possible before it goes somewhere snaggy.
    Personally, I think theres a canny bit of poetic license there as if a bass emptied my fixed spool I'd be thinking there's be less hope of catching it with every yard of line that left the reel.
    I am willing to be corrected though.

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Interesting one. I know the small bas Ive caught do take some line but not much. I wonder if a big bass could strip all your line ?

3. rusty1

rusty1 New Member

Dunno bout a big bass but i was spooled up in scotland a few years ago. About 200yrds of 25lb braid gone in what seemed like 2 seconds. Was deep spinning a redgill through a big rip which went round a headland. I suspect it was a tope, but everytime i've been back up there the areas been unfishable :no:

4. baza

baza New Member

a decent pollock will strip line against a tightened clutch on a spinning reel till it snaps you off. ive had it happen a few times aboard ian burrets boats. there really is nothing you can do apart from use heavy gear.

5. Dav

Dav Rockling

Ive had fish take line off the reel against a tight drag , all you can do in them situations is thumb the spool , putting abit of a pressure on slowly , and just make the fish work harder and harder till u turn em....thats unless there real big and dont want to turn ... :cheesy:, i would suspect its easy done tho in deep water....