1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spinning Rods - Which One To Buy ?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Ramsrod, Apr 20, 2007.

1. robert123

robert123 Blenny

Do not but a Shimano. I did, and whilst fishing one day it just broke in two. I would not have minded if I had the fish of a lifetime on. But, all I had on was the spinner.

2. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Ray, Fox jerkbait xs .I ve got one, its 7ft very light nice and tippy, has a trigger style grip for single hand bait casting.I use mine for jigging from the yak because it is lovely and light has a nice tip action but stacks of power in the butt so you can fish light but it has the power to cope with a large lure and a decent fish....I got mine for £40.00 form a tackle shop in Hull.

Cheers Dave.

3. bucko

bucko Guest

I've got one of these:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DAIWA-SAMURAI-S-10-2-SECTION-SPINNING-SALMON-ROD_W0QQitemZ120148341525QQihZ002QQcategoryZ11729QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Cracking rod, handles big fish no worries, casts everything from a size 2 Mepps to a Dexter Wedge.
    You can whack a Chug Bug a fair old distance with it as well.
    I paid £40 for mine about 5 years ago (Bankrupt stock) and must have had at least 20 fish of 5lb+ on it.

4. baza

baza New Member

ray thats the exact rod i was using sunday its a cracking rod, im sure its the same blank as the surespin

5. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Thanks lads I,m onto it so I can be like baza, only smaller ;D Let you know how I get on.

6. mww

mww Rockling

...don't bother spending a fortune on spinning rods - I broke 6" off the tip of one I'd had since I was in Holland & went in to Glasgow Angling to get a new tip ring. They wanted £3-4 for a tip ring, which I was quite happy to spend, but then I spotted a Ron Thomson 9ft 4 piece spinning rod for £20 - didn't expect a real lot, but hey, it's actually ok.

Probably not quite as nice as the one i bust (an "Ultimate" something or other... ???), but a third the price - it's mainly in service for catching mackerel for bait in the boat, & copes ok with strings of 5 or 6 - probably caught 3 or 400 already. Also has extracted numerous codlings to 5lb, including pairs of 4lbers on "that" night :D from down the Brigg, again in the boat. Also used it for plugging, & casts a plug a decent distance, which is what I thought it might struggle with.

So given the option of a top of the range Daiwa/ Shimano/ etc & this one leaving the balance of £70-80 to go to the Ramrod cack-handed plug chucking & trolling charity, I know what I'd rather do....

Mart

7. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

That was a bit harsh Mart, true maybe :-[, but there,s no need to be so nasty :'(. You,re suppose to help begginers, and anyway I,ve lost all your plugs, your Jack Russel bitch "Barbie" ate them ;D

8. Dav

Dav Rockling

Did you end up with a spinning rod ray ?
    what did you go for ? i think the ladle spin rods are made from daiwa blanks .....and i would reccomend a daiwa to anyone who lure fishes , i have a alltmore s i use for salmon at 9ft and rated at 7 to 42 gr its a lovely balanced rod , this does not see saltwater though and i only use mepps and small rapals with it ..,,for the saltwater punishment i just use a 10ft greys grx spiner rated at 15 to 60 gr which does the job of playing macky/bass etc without bullying them too much it was only 60 quid a few years ago and its a good rod , this is what ide be going for if i were you somthing with abit of beef but is fun to fish and catch fish with ,,,but if the rod ure after is for yakking only i would be looking at an american style rod ,around 6 to 7 ft but with balls meaning upto 60 gr ish somthing like a loomis ..which are in a class of there own , i have a 7ft rated at 1 gr to 11 gr i use for trout n perch and i can tell you its the lovliest little rod ive used in my life , made from graphite , far to good to be used in saltwater but i beleive they do saltwater versions and heavier versions , imported form malaysia ...why dont you put an order in with cps when he goes to usa .... :)

9. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

The shakespeare I mention is now no more. I smashed at the spigot whilst casting. Im now looking for a new spinning rod myself

10. Baramundi Bob

My mate Farron just bought one of the new Shimano bass rods. Looks a real good bit of kit for around 30 quid. I also read Henry Gilby raving about them on facebook.

11. Baramundi Bob

So what rods are people recommending in 2013 ?

12. shammy67

shammy67 only dead fish go with the flow

Teklon concept spin 832M gets my recomendation glenn.absolutely love this rod.the look,weight and feel of it are fantastic.the best £125 ive ever spent!

13. stevennewsam

stevennewsam New Member

shamano speedmaster 14-40 gram 9ft.great rod ultra light i paid £150 for mine. but you can get them off internet for £120. i also think it must be one of the best lure rods on the market for its price range. :butt:

14. j99oel

j99oel Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Glen, I had a whisker spin 9ft like you, its a cracking rod, in a traditional spinning kind of way.... i then traded it in for a daiwa powermesh x spin which knocks spots off it, its way lighter, tippier and you can chuck lures one handed with it if you want.. Only way I would go back to a traditional spinning rod now would be for float fishing for pollack. The sonik sk4 10ft 10-40g is another rod similar priced and as good.

Joel