1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spinning Rods - Which One To Buy ?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Ramsrod, Apr 20, 2007.

1. mww

mww Rockling

Re: Spinning Rods?

Just set me off with the contents of your legendary wallet - the income from 2005 let alone 2006's numerous Open wins is totally untouched according to local legend - & I'll come back with something nice & shiny. Might even be along the lines of what you want ;D Delivery to your door would be only my standard £1/mile (each way) plus living expenses.... ;D

Mart

2. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

And no doubt you,ll be coming and going via the Landsend seanic coastal route. Re-to the personal message you seny me Mart, does the Ron Thompson "Floppy Doppy" rod really cost over £1000? Anyway anyone who gives me important fishing advice like "You don,t want to cast your rancid mussel any further than 15yd at Robin Hood,s Bay" has got to be genuine. ;D ;D.

3. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Come on lads don't give all the secrets away, Robin hoods bay belongs to me (or is it killer).

That's around the distance my 10 pounder in November came from :eek: :) ;D

4. mww

mww Rockling

Hey, any rod costing over £1K has got to be the business!! Or don't you believe the marketing guys?

If all you bring (or show me you've brought!!) is rancid mussel, then I can't really be held responsible for that...or that I was just telling you a distance in line with your capability, just so you didn't feel inadequate... ;D

Mart

5. Baramundi Bob

Did you give him the treatment Mart ;D ;D

6. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

He,s shamed me on more than one occasion, but he did take my fresh peelers in exchange for his "no fish can refuse these" rancid mussel, to give me a chance.

7. baza

baza New Member

ray what will you be using the rod for, pluggin spinning or pollock or will it be a bit of everything? if its plugging you will be better of getting the mike ladle rod. the man knows what hes talking about when it comes to bass and what rod rod to use to catch them.
    ray have you caught a bass on a plug yet?

8. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

I went on the Veals website yesterday baza and they,re out of stock! I,m hoping for an all rounder, even for a bit of float fishing Thanks for shaming me on the site baza ;D the answer is NO I hav,nt caught a Bass on a plug :-[ but only because I choose not to ;D but I,m hoping that will change.

9. baza

baza New Member

if you would like me to show you how and where its no problem ray, its not very often i blank when plugging, only when the conditions arnt right. last year due to a new baby i hardly wet a line for them but the few times i went i had fish nothing over 3lb. the years before last ive hammered them(not literally)

10. cps

cps Rockling

ray let me know when you find the perfect one and i'll buy one as i'm yet to find it , what seems ok in the shop turns in to total s@@t on the rocks, marts right though the berkley i have is to soft but it has had spinner sharks in florida to 30 lb and with a bit of luck this time next week will see some more ;D
    as you ar lookin for a rod it gives me the perfect excuse to spend a full day in basspro looking at gear instead of half

11. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Theres an offer, thanks I,ll take you up on that baza, but don,t tell the other lads will you ;D

12. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

I would,nt know the perfect one if it smacked me in the face, which it probably will with my limited experience :-[

13. Dav

Dav Rockling

Alright for some ;D ;D

14. cps

cps Rockling

on a serous note ;) if i see anything next week when i'm in the land of huge fishing shops [and depleting wallets] i'll bring you one , normally $20 buys a rod that would cost £60 in this country and i have a boat full of $20 rods and i'mm sure mart will agree there all belltas most have all fuji fittings . only thing is trying to find a 9 or 10 footer is near on imposible as they all use 6 footers and fish from boats or docks

15. baza

baza New Member

i will give you a shout in june ray. dont bother buying loads of different plugs and poppers, only a couple are worth the bother, yo zuri mag popper 28g and storm chug buggs.the most succesfull lure is a plain mackarel spinner. braid is a must. if youve never caught a bass this way before prepare to smile

16. Baramundi Bob

Hi Baza - Why do you like to use braid for this ?

17. baza

baza New Member

its far more sensitive so you can feel every touch of a fish or weed/snags and react to it, i think it helps to reel faster aswell, most of my fish have fallen to a spinner wound as fast as you can just sub surface and braid helps you impart action into the lure also. i think the lower diamiter it casts further aswell. plus if you snag up youve got more chance of getting your gear back with a higher breaking strain. and most importantly the scrap even a schoolie gives you is unbelievable. once youve tried it there is no comparison. is that enough reason to convert.

18. Baramundi Bob

I like braid and often use it for float fishing but had never considered it for spinning. Will have to try it this year.

19. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

had all my big bass on trylene fireline braid glen on the plug, but at short range the bass have to be really hungry, otherwise missed bites are common due to the lack of stretch, when you get a hit you have to lean back, like with a pike with a wobbled dead bait, then hit it, and hope the trebbles are not too deep 8)

20. Baramundi Bob

Hows the spinning rod Ray and did you ever take Baza up on his offer ?