1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spinning Rods - Which One To Buy ?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Ramsrod, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Can anyone recommend a good spinning rod to buy? I don,t want to spend a fortune but at the same time I don,t want a stick of rhubarb either. The person who nominates the rod that I eventually buy can have the secret formula of the magic crystals :eek: .....well a fleeting glance..... at 20 paces .... with one eye shut ;D

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Re: Spinning Rods?

Daiwa Whisker 9ft - A little expensive at around 90 quid but worth every penny. I also have a Shakespeare I picked up last summer from Whitby angling supplies which I really like. That was 25 quid and was around half price, its a lot stiffer than the ugly sticks which I hate - to much action right through.

I used to have a rod called silstar reackt. It was brilliant untill I leant it my eldest lad and it came back in 3 pieces rather than 2.

3. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

ray, dont know if they are still available, i own a shimano solstace, i bought it for plugging/spinning, and it has proved a very good rod, i landed a four pound cod off w'by west in the middle of summer on a spinner, and have had a seven pound bass on the plug with it. lovely ;D

4. Lobbers

p.s ..
    i dont want to see your magic crystal's mate, im fond enough of my own ;D

5. Baramundi Bob

Had a 12 pounder on the Whisker,Please get one Ray then send the crystal recipe by email ;) ;D

6. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

I must admit I,m leaning slightly towards Glen at this stage, but that could change.
    Paul, was that supposed to read "I landed on a 4lb cod when I fell off w,by west?" ;D

7. Lobbers

very nearly ray, there was that much mackerel slime underfoot, but glens fish was a sea trout well up the esk in the salmon pool, not really sea angling, my 7lb bass was (i'll p m you), as you might like to visit with me as it can be class(lots of fish), and its in the salt ;D

8. Baramundi Bob

How did you know it was a trout Paul ?? Must of told you did I ?

They go like shit off a stick in a heavily flooded river. I was shaking for hours after getting it. Amazing experience. ;) :)

9. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Shame on you, trying to use deciet in an effort to catch a glimpse of the secret formula. Unless it had sea lice on it its void.

10. Baramundi Bob

Covered in sea lice Ray. Thought Id snagged a rock untill it started moving about. Then 40 mins later it was in the landing net and I was on the bank shaking.

I only use that Rod in the river. Far too good a rod for mackerel.

11. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Is that the full name of the rod Glen? and can you get one local?

12. Baramundi Bob

I think its a "whisker spin". Its 9 foot. Would have to have a look up in the loft which is where it currently resides. Got it from Rods and reels some years ago. He ordered it in for me.

13. Lobbers

so cos his game fish had a couple of beetles on its flank he wins eh!!
    i know i did'nt need to see the crytal formula's because i know how in depth they are but howay, an eight foot plugg/spinn rod, 7llb bass, must beat a poxytrout anyday ray :'(

14. Dav

Dav Rockling

sea trout and bass are one of my passions , ide give my right arm to get an double figure seatrout , but then again ide give me left arm for a 7lb bass , i use a greys 10 ft grx 15 gr to 60 gr coupled with a shimano 5000gte baitrunner for the salt and a daiwa alltmor-s 7gr to 40gr for seatrout river and piking coupled with a shimano sustain 4000 fd , which is one of my best setups i really enjoy using it , i would imagine its a very similar rod to the whisker glen ,at 9ft and extreemly light , its a great rod , and not for use in the salt as its too nice a setup to let salt do its dirty work i also have a dinky 7ft sr 842-2 glx rated at 1gr to 9gr loomis spinner rod with a shimano 2500fd , with 10lb braid , ideal for perch and brownies.. 12lb seatrout mmm nice , been chasing that fish for over 10 years glen , i was even a member on the river wear for 3 years trying for one of them on fly at night , biggest was 5lb , and 5 and a half from the esk on spinner , one of my biggestfishing achievments...and for anyone that doesnt know sea trout is one of the hardest fish to catch ...a also have two spare spinning rods which i dont use both 9ft a shakespeare and a 10 to 35 gr and anpother rated at 10 to 40 gr which are just sat there doing nothing ,,,

15. Dav

Dav Rockling

But if i was yourself ray , i would not get skimp when buying a spinning rod , invest in a good one , maybe somthing like a mike ladle surespin if you just planning on using it in the salt , as i will probably know you pay for what you get and nowt worse than flogging a heavy rod for several hours at a time , lightness pays ....cheers

16. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Exactly Dav. Thats what I,m after, a rod i enjoy using even if I,m catching nowt. I,ve had cheap ones in the past which did the job for the ammount of spinning i did (not much). I will spend up to £100 would you say I would be in a decent bracket of rod then ?

17. mww

mww Rockling

Ray

Give me a buzz sometime - I'm often up in Glasgow working & call in at Glasgow Angling centre from time to time, & if there's something you're keen on I'll have a look for you - they aren'y particularly cheap, but often have some "specials" - just before Xmas I bought a RT 4-piece 9ft spinning rod for £20. Seems ok, quite stiff, which is what I reckon that you need for spinning/ plugging. Up until then I used an "Ultimate Team" 9ft rod that I got in Holland - good rod, but broke 6" off the tip last year when I "high-sticked" a string of mackerel (getting tope bait). I'd actually gone into GAC to get a tip ring for the "shortened" rod - was going to be over a fiver for a decent one, then I spotted the rods for £20!!

Looking at other rods for you to have a look at - Pete's got both models (2 & 4 piece) of the Mike Ladle spinning rods that Veals flog - Steve's favourite plugging rod's an oldish Shimano (don't know what model) & he probably does more plugging than the rest of us put together. Think he's also got a Daiwa, but doesn't seem as keen on that as the Shim. CPS has a Berkley, which is a nice rod but he reckons its a bit soft for chucking big wind-resistant plugs.

Mart

18. Maxie

Maxie New Member

one of the salmon lads i know just bought both the mike ladle surespin from veals he swears they are the business.

19. Dav

Dav Rockling

100 quid would cover it ray , have a look at the ladle surespin , supose to be a good rod ...

20. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Thanks for your help lads you,ve helped me narrow it down to 27 rods ;D The Surespin must be a decent rod because it,s sold out! It,s exclusive to Veals, so that ones out of the equasion, at least for now ??? I,m still open to suggestions. Thanks for your offer Mart, you might have to make the choice for me yet.