1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

spawney dave & a bass called houdini

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by newdave, Aug 7, 2008.

1. newdave

newdave Guest

well i am sure a few of you will get a laugh out of this one, i made a last minute decision to take advantage of a lull in the weather and do some plugging from the kayak. & was spawney enough to land this little beauty
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    a cracking fish which i estimate to be some where between 5 & 6 lb, it put up a great fight & i netted it & had a couple of photo's taken, as i am a bit of a carnivore when it comes to bass, it got a knock on the head & put in my fish bag which happens to be a sainsburys shopping bag :no:. just to be make it doubly safe i put it in the back of the well & strapped it down with a couple of bungeys :happy:
    anyway i set of trolling again & what seemed like about five minutes later there was an almighty commotion from behind me, I turned around to see houdini the Bass's head emerging from the bag, a couple of mighty flicks of the tail & she disappeared over the back & headed out of site :crazy:
    my immediate reaction was of horror, but then i just had to smile, that was some fish :happy:

must get a proper fish bag :yes:

2. IanB

IanB Blenny

Lovely fish mate, would have been beautiful poached with butter & black pepper,
    served with Jersey royals and a bit of veg lol :whistle:
    Just a shame the beggar escaped mate.
    Better luck next time.

Ian

3. dbrown

dbrown Guest

Nice one mate nice fish.

4. carpyken

carpyken New Member

A nice bit of catch n release there mate :laugh: :laugh: . A pleasant night with you, Marion looking very comfortable in the Marlin now. Plenty of fish to be had - did tell you it was total weight session so I WON :tease: :laugh:.

A nice night and the de-brief with Ray was just as pleasant :cheesy: and sea bass with prawns at 15 quid a chuck, as was posted over the bar means that was £60 quids worth of bass that jumped ship :laugh:

5. newdave

newdave Guest

oh ye Ken, better show the little fella :laugh:
    [​IMG]
    well done mate another cracking evening when we really were not expecting much.

the journey continues :wink:

6. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Don,t use the Sainsbury recycling bags Dave :whistle: and there,s more than one spawny bass.... :laugh:

7. Dav

Dav Rockling

Nice fishing dave , sorry to hear it got away :crazy: :tease:. great fishing all the same ...

8. ian 07

ian 07 Guest

nice one newdave and ken
    cheers ian

9. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

:laugh: :laugh:

Similar thing once happened to me with a sea trout that had been hung up in a tree for over 20 minutes without any sign of life. Next thing its in the river and swimming. A great story Dave. Maybe I ought to reopen the bass hall of fame if your going to catch fish like that one.

10. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Nice one Dave/Ken lovely looking samples - a similar thing happened in my youth whilst rabbiting, the ferret bolted a coney and I dispatched it from the net and gave it a Bruce Lee Chop and chucked it on the deck where it lay motionless for 5 minutes before coming round and bolting off no worse for wear from it's ordeal - the old boy who was with me was not best pleased as it was his supper :whistle:

11. newdave

newdave Guest

yes get it back up Glenn, after all if i keep getting in it they might stop calling me lucky :laugh: what about a section for other species aswell (tope)?

12. go go gadget

go go gadget Rockling

well done on the bass dave. its a nice fish

13. bucko

bucko Guest

Well done and commiserations (Not often you say those two in the same breath).

There are 'slings' available for salmon fishing that might prevent that from happening again- one bit goes through the gills and the other end is a noose around the tail.
    Easy enough to make.

14. GJW

GJW Rockling

Well done Dave, but that was one crafty Bass which had no intentions of heading for the dinner plate.. :laugh: well done to the Bass too... :happy:

15. wildcard

wildcard Guest

At least you got a nice photo of the one that got away.

wildcard

16. woody

woody New Member

nice fish n story dave !

17. newdave

newdave Guest

Agree Gary, other than the fact that i didn't weigh it, it didn't really bother me to see it go, after all i hooked it landed it & got the photo, so i prefer to look on it as catch and release :laugh:
    but just to prevent a repeat i have purchased a nice grays fish bag with velcro & a zip :wink:

18. topecatcher

topecatcher New Member

Well it's better to release the spawny ones and keep the two pounders fore the pot :confused:

19. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Topecatcher my mate, we mean 'spawny' as in lucky, flukey etc etc, not as in a fish full of roe :happy:

20. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Every now and again you see people come to the sport of sea fishing with an admirable knack of being in the right place at the right time. In this instance Im thinking of Dave and Sam.

Spawney £ookers :laugh: :cheesy: