1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Southern Softies Challenge

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, May 18, 2010.

1. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

well the weathers looking good, 5mph for this afternoon if the met office is to be belived.
    had a few hours off runswick paddling towards the goldbrough/sandsend area last night with 5 cod and a ling in the space of around 2 hrs, plus quite a few mini cod that went back
    if it keeps up like this there should be some interesting results today :yes:

2. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

I will see you up there. Good luck to all

3. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

I finish work at 3pm but it's a 45min drive down plus need to stop off to pick up my kayak, should be there for 4pm. I have some Weighmaster scales if they are any use at the end of the evening. Do we have a list of names fishing for each team? just wondering.

4. JACKOM

JACKOM Blenny

Sam - I think there is myself, Iain (moleman,) Ray and possibly jeremy robinson from the 'southerners'. Not sure if any others. See you at sandsend

5. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Think thats about it for the Southerners Mark. Don't for get the sun cream and some tissues for the infidel's :cheesy: see you all later.

6. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

see you all at 4pm

7. Dav

Dav Rockling

Rigs ready , im ready get ready for ass kicking you scarborough wallers...see you all at 4pm....probably end up abit earlier tho,, cause im all excited.... :cheesy: :cheesy:

8. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Don't come too early Dav :whistle:

See you all at Sandsend lads

9. Dav

Dav Rockling

:cheesy: :cheesy:,
    ill need to take in the surroundings tho iain , yerno like being at one with nature and all that & preparing my mind mentally and zoning up for all the glory ..... :laugh: :laugh:

10. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Never mind all that stuff Dav just make sure you bring us your money :laugh:

11. mike33

mike33 New Member

sea state good slight swell looks puuurfect :happy: see you all there..............definatley sun cream :yes:

12. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

just driven past on my trusty knackered bus and its looking excellent, ebbing tide should be taking us over some excellent fishing grounds without the effort we would face paddling back and forth over a flood tide
    small swell as mike said but nowt to panic over (unless your of the southern persuasion then it may very well be brown drysuit time :vomit:)
    see you all down there,
    word of warning on the parking front....its fecking heaving down there :hurt:

13. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

So how did it go fellas? Were the northern monkeys celebrating in the pub with best bitter or was it shandies all round

14. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Well Mr Dav won with biggest fish (3lb 11oz Ling) and beating Quint by 1oz! :laugh:

Wasn't the easiest of nights fishing for some reason but all caught, haven't had comfirmation but I have a feeling the Southern Soties may of won this one again :cry: :cry:

15. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

bloody typical! you lot keep letting me down. I shall have to make the next one :cheesy:

16. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

It was mentioned that our poor results were due to the lack of the Fox's appearance :wink: :cheesy:

17. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

I came down but had to leave, due to the dog been very unwell. And now costing me my savings for the new yak.

18. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Ok guys, heres the results of the latest southern softies match. It was a nice night and good to see so many people had turned up. The fishing was a little slow but those who persevered found a few fish and most people managed to catch at least 1 fish.

Dav was the man on form and his ling won him the £100 sweep in his first kayak match. I studied Dav whilst on the water and the lad clearly knows how to find the fish. Without much effort at all Dav found his way right into the middle of my favourite Pollack mark, only a few weeks too early.

In my opinion the lack of fish was due largely to the lack of tide flow. I personally spent a lot of time paddling to find a bit of tide and this paid dividends in terms of finding the fish. Im not sure who has won the team event as my head isnt up to doing the calculations at the moment. So if anyone can work out the team avearges, please do.

We rounded the night off with a couples of sherries and a touch of bird watching in the Hart Inn at Sandsend. All in all it was a very pleasant night. Im personally looking forward to the return match in a few weeks time. This year we aim to have 4 matches in the series. The return southern match will be at a venue to be arranged sometime before the end of June. We then hope to have 2 Pollack and Bass matches later in the season.

Pics to follow

Heaviest Single Fish - Winner Took £100 Cash

1st Dav - Ling 3lb 11 Ounces
    2nd Quint - Cod 3lb 10 Ounces
    3rd Mark Jackson 3lb 9 Ounces
    4th Glenn 3lb 8 Ounces

Team Event - Bag Weight

Southern Softies - 3 Anglers Fished

Quint 7lb 4 Ounces
    Mark Jackson 11-10
    Ray Maddison 1 - 06

Northern Infidels - 7 Anglers Fished

Sam 4lb 6 Ounces
    Glenn 16lb 5 Ounces
    Dav 9-15
    Ben Q 6lb 10 Ounces
    Mike33 1lb 6 Ounces
    Dan 3lb 3 Ounces
    Damo - Blank

19. Dav

Dav Rockling

Couldnt think of a better way to spend a evening...great company combined with alot of laughs ....shame the fish didnt put in more of an appearance but thats fishing ....
    Glen i realy like the looks of that pollock mark i will be down there again to join yous on a few pollock hunts.....

One little question i have , generally at what sort of depth does the kelp not inhabit ...or does it grow in deep water too ?

20. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

So if I have this right we end up with the following:

South = 20lb 4oz - 3 anglers = 6.75lb per angler

North = 41lb 13oz - 7 anglers = 5.97lb per angler

Meaning South win :cry: :sad: :cry: :sad: :cry: