1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Something for the weekend?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by wec, Nov 6, 2007.

1. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

With the John Smith's Open imminent, hows about bagging a fish like this? :)
    The qualitys not brilliant, the picture is of Bob Yarker's 33lb 7.5oz cod which I believe it is still a north east shore caught record, it was caught in February 1970. A 27lber and a 29lber were caught in the same week, all on the Brigg.
    ;DHappy hunting on Sunday ;D
    [​IMG]
    This is Bob's story in his own words as featured in the Evening News February 12th 1970

Fishing from the tip of the Brigg, a rugged natural rock platform which juts a quarter mile out to sea, Bob hooked his fish on the last cast of the day, when an incomming tide was swiftly threatening to cut off his retreat.
    With big fish in mind he had baited a size five hook with ten mussels, and when the bite came the fish surged out to sea towards the distant Bell bouy, Bob reacted instinctively.
    The fish took the bait in a 30 foot deep gully in an area which is a maze of weed tangled rock ledges. Bob decided to let the fish run in the hope that the sinker would snag, and the fish its self would snap the rotten bottom by which the sinker was attached to the 60lb main line.
    "its much easier to play just the fish at the end of the line "Bob explained, "more fish are lost than landed at this spot, but in my case all went according to plan. The fish got rid of the sinker and I was left with the task of bringing it through the weeed and over the ledges. I reckoned i would not stand a chance of landing the fish until the tide was higher, so for 20mins I did not try to bring the fish close. I knew I risked loosing it but it was a chance i had to take. I waited until waves about 2 foot deep were swelling across the scars, then I brought the fish in and manouvered it into a narrow gully which gave it no chance to turn round and head for sea. I dropped my rod, laid flat on the rocks and managed with supreme effort to reach the fish's gills and swing it out. I was nearly exhausted but I had no time to rest because the tide was threatning to cut off my retreat, I gathered fish and tackle together and quickly made my way back to higher ground."

2. GJW

GJW Rockling

What a good fish and a nice story... :) :)

3. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Fantastic Story . Wouldn't it be fantastic if fish like that still swam in our area.

Please say thanks to Mrs Colling for typing it out for us Bill :D :D ;D

4. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

How did you know ? ;D ;D

5. Baramundi Bob

lol I remembered you told us when you first joined that er in doors helped you with a spot of typing. I think you told her off for misspelling raggle scaur ;D

6. Tcliffe

Tcliffe New Member

brilliant fish ope i get 1 on sunday lol

7. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

The secrets out Billy one finger ;D

8. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

you should have seen the one i lost it was twice as big, i'm tellin ya ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

9. Dav

Dav Rockling

Lovely fish ......i wonder what the odds are of somthing like that being caught in the furure ,locally.....they seem to get them now n again upriding not to far off shore,,,

10. NorthWestern

NorthWestern Blenny

Yeh Just like the pike you got mate.When you caught it it was 5lbs,by the time we got home it was nearly 4 times that size ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

11. time.to.shine

time.to.shine New Member

i think it will happen again 1 day 25lber

12. MFC

MFC Blenny

THINK i might get a bigger fish bag;;;;;; :D

13. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

i wounder if it would be possible to land a fish of that size ,in this age of light line.bob was using 60 pund rope .all thou, i think the benifits of using light line out way the chance's of a 33 pounder

14. cps

cps Rockling

i'd put money on a good 35 lb moden line with a bimini and 6olb leader being stronger than that old 60lb stuff
    i seem to bust more 40lb hook snoods with that set up than i did 35lb snoods with the old 40lb sycast straight through back when that was the normal real line

15. Baramundi Bob

16. Dav

Dav Rockling

The thing is using lighter lines and leaders tells you to whack it out , but im sure the captor wouldnt of been out 200 yds into the tide ...