1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some of my piccys

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by BeeceUK, Jan 13, 2011.

1. BeeceUK

BeeceUK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi there,

Thought I'd stick a few of my local pics up here for you all to see, most of these are from East Cleveland area, live in Marske myself and think this area is great for getting all kinds of different shots, you've got the beaches, the hills, the woods and the moors practically on your doorstep...

Here's a HDR shot of some bits of concrete sticking out of the sea between Marske and redcar...
    [​IMG]

Nice bit of wood found in the same place as the above shot...
    [​IMG]

Everyones fave angling spot.. Sally pier :) ....
    [​IMG]

From a different view
    [​IMG]

Another well known spot...
    [​IMG]

Tilt the camera and everything becomes arty :) ....
    [​IMG]

These last two are from Richmond waterfalls, the first is out of my Nikon D700 and is a long exposure shot done with ND filters to bring the shutter speed down low enough to get that cotton wool look to flowing water..
    [​IMG]

This one was taken the same day using an old nikon 35mm camera with some Fuji Velvia slide film, really lovely stuff .. scanned in on a slide scanner this stuff has way more resolution than most DSLR's out thereagain using an ND filter and grad to get the shutter speed down in daylight..
    [​IMG]

Hope you fellas like em, I just came across these going through an old hard drive, dont get out with the camera that often these days which is a bit of a shame.

Ben

2. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Lovely pics there bud, very nice indeed :cool:

3. nicho2k10

nicho2k10 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

really like the first pic of salty pier, looks outstanding.

4. the artist

the artist what a view , i think ill paint it or fish it

Nice one , enjoyed looking at the pics

5. langy

langy Rockling

smashing pics bud

6. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

some stunning pics there ben, thanks for sharing

7. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Outstanding photos mate, really enjoyed seeing them

8. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Yes really enjoyed them. Im interested in what you say about using the filters for slow shutter speads. Is this essential for daylight shooting with longer shutter speeds and what filters do you recomend.

9. BeeceUK

Thanks for the comments lads, I think its great that theres a photography section on here as well as all the fishing stuff. I really must get out again and take some new pics, all them ones are about 2-3 years old.

Glenn, regarding the filters, I guess it depends on what kind of end result you're after. The one of the falls at Richmond is a 1/2s shutter speed. I had to use two ND filters to get the shutter speed that low, theyre basically grey glass or plastic filters that fit over the lens and let less light through in order to lower the shutter speed of the shot, also using ahigh f/stop and the lowest iso speed on your camera will lower the shutter speed. The brighter the day is the harder it can be to get the shutter low enough for some of these kind of effects.

The filters I have a made by Cokin, its a system that screws onto the front of your lens and you slide different filters into it depending on what youre after. I cant remember exactly how much it was but it wasnt that expensive maybes about £20. The extra filters are about £10 i think for all different kinds.

Ben

10. andym

andym Rockling

Stunning photo's mate!

11. sheep

sheep Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Great shots every one, I particularly like the one after the pier, with the grass in the foreground. Thanks for sharing them.

12. sheep

sheep Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Great shots every one, I particularly like the one after the pier, with the grass in the foreground. Thanks for sharing them.

13. Ian Alexander

Ian Alexander Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hello,
    fantastic photos, I realy enjoyed seeing those. It's hard to pick a favourite but I like the driftwood on the beach and the one of the pier.

I would like to get a bit more involved with my photography and have been reading a couple of books before I buy a new camera but there is so much to learn.

Regards Ian

14. CBass

CBass New Member

Absolutely cracking mate, really good.

Love the pier. I like it so much it makes me want to drive to Saltburn and take some pictures of it myself.

You should dust off that D700, its wasted wherever its sat.

Glenn, if you want slow shutter speeds on a bright sunny day then you will need ND filters.

15. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

This is a picture i have taken at the Richmond Water falls, i would be greatfull for your comments, it was taken a without any fillters, just high f number and about 3 second exposier, i know i need filters to do the job properly :yes:
    [​IMG]

16. CBass

CBass New Member

Looks good to me Harry.

If I was going to be critical it would be with the composition, the waterfall on the right hand side is cut off in the middle, I'd have been tempted to get all of the waterfall on the right hand side in the foreground (the main event) and cut off the background falls.

Also the the white water is a little too white and draws the eye, maybe darken it a little and up the saturation to bring the colour in the water.

Nice though. :happy:

It doesn't look like a sunny day.

17. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Thanks for your usefull comments , it is taken on board,
    i have one or two others that i have edited,useing picasa ,the one i posted is straight from the camera, i will have to get some ND filters sorted ,
    what would you recomend for my sony Alpha A330, :confused:

18. BeeceUK

Thats a nice pic Harry, Richmond is a good day out if you fancy taking some pics I reckon. Musta been quite a gloomy day to get a 3 sec exposure ?

I must admit, I really love long exposure photography theres just something about it that really draws me it, I think its the surrealness of it all, in that the photo is very different to how the naked eye percieves it.

Im really liking you strobist stuff CBass, very nice quality and composition to the shots. Off camera flash can be so creative, Ive been reading that blog for a good while, have you seen the stuff you can do firing flashes through bottles with coloured water and gels to create backdrops and the like for portraits really clever outside the box stuff. I've got some nikon flashguns and cheapo triggers off ebay, dont see the point in splashing out a fortune when these seem to do the job with only the odd misfire. Ive been doing some product shots for a friend who has his own drum company using a light tent and the triggers and im really chuffed with how well theyve come out after some post processing in photoshop, rather suprised myself how professional they look, its juist they take so long to get them perfect and it it can be quiet tedious work. Ill post a couple up sometime.

Ben

19. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

some fantastic pics there ben ,really like the first pier one as well ,does it have lights under neath?.also like the arty sand one,cheers bb

20. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I really like the Salty pier shot, it is a very special pic. But my fave is probably the fishermens huts at the gare.