1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So Who Uses A Landing Net?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by carpyken, Jan 19, 2011.

1. carpyken

carpyken New Member

In coarse fishing you wouldn't leave home without one, regardless of your prey. So how many of you use one when out shore bassing, kayak bassing or even shore and boat cod fishing? I mean, come on, you hook that specimen bass of the year, are you really going to risk loosing it at your feet because you dont have a net? Does anyone still use a gaff these days?

And if you do use an aid to landing fish can you recommend any particular models for certain situations and why?

Ken

2. ian 07

ian 07 Guest

Ken I don't use one I gill my fish On the kayak the best net I've seen is the one spawney has I think it's a savage gear one

3. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

yes always use a net on the yak, but not from the shore

4. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Going to get one for a shore mark I fish cause I've had a few battles in the edge, they also would come in handy as a wading stick at a few locations

5. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

i use a net and a gaff on the boat the only time i use the gaff is on skate its one i made myself out of a old golf club with a debarbed 14/0 mustard hook brased into the end proper job tightlines Alain

6. carpyken

carpyken New Member

But surely if some of you guys are fishing balanced gear with lighter bs braids it will come to the time when a landing net will be essential?

Ken

7. ian 07

ian 07 Guest

Ken I didn't have a problem last year I was using 20lb braid no leader

8. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

to be honest I wish I'd had one up the mull when I lost a 7lb bass at my feet. saying that I blame sam and gary for trying to grab it

9. kirkby lad

kirkby lad New Member

net on the boat, wing and a prayer from the shore

10. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

aye it was a comedy of errors that was matty :laugh:

11. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

As far as kayak fishing goes I have always used a landing net and always will, trust me they make a difference. People laughed at me for having one but I've never lost any of my better fish :wink:

Might start taking one for shore fishing as well, specially on some of the high tdie marks.

Spoke to Matty about this whilst at the Mull last year, they don't way much but you are very glad of them when you need them.

Rubber coated nets make life a lot easier as well.

12. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

aye I was never too convinced with landing nets.

then we went pollack fishing..............................................................................

all of a sudden sam became the groups net man :yes: with the bigger fish thrashing at the side of the yak gilling was unlikley to work and the fear of losing one of those beasts was not worth the attempt at grabbing at it

Ive also lost a couple of nice cod at the side of the kayak that would have been mine if I had a net to hand

will definatly be grabbing a rubber coated net for the summer as its not worth going without one to be honest, why risk losing the fish of a lifetime for the lack of a net?

13. newdave

newdave Guest

14. glassback

glassback Blenny

i havent used one yet for bass but i will be getting one this year ,its better to have a fish in the net rather than losing it at your feet...
    i have one for beaches but dont often take it .

15. cps

cps Rockling

dont use a net as i have enough junk on the boat that never gets used , we count leader through the the tip ring as a landed fish , if it drops of it saves chucking it back , marts a pro at knocking fish off with the gaff , keep telling him its the sharp end that goes in the water :laugh: :laugh:

16. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

We have used a landing net up the MOG when pollack fishing from the rocks and have found it beneficial , if we had used one alot more
    more really good pollack would have been landed :yes: :yes:

17. mww

mww Rockling

ohh....so you won't want the super-duper net that I just scrounged off a guy at work then....

18. MidlandYakker

MidlandYakker Blenny

Never.. just can't arsed to carry one!! I've never lost a fish at the side of the Kayak.... oh god, now I've blown it!!

19. skaterboy

skaterboy New Member

20. bullfish

bullfish Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i use a boga grip small light easy to use can just leave it in my bag also doubles as a priest on the boat i use a gaff but very rarely as i feel that you can easily lift any thing up to 8lb over the side