1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Snapping Ropes ? Falling Down Cliffs, Tumbling Off Ladders ?? Slipping On scars

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Dec 3, 2013.

1. bassman

bassman Administrator

Fishing a few years back down at Atwick on a cold and wet evening with 2 of my younger mates, the get down was reasonable so never expected any or no trouble climbing back up how wrong could we have been.

Tom was the first to climb back to the top followed by me nearly half way up i felt the big grass sod i had stood on move, Dom followed in my foot steps only a small lad and weighing about 8st thought he would have no probs with the climb.

Then came the shout im stuck the grass sod i had stood on just sank into the mud and turned into jelly he was above the knees in slimy mud, threw my gear off climbed back down to try and help him only to feel my self sinking, in the end with 2 tri pods layed across the unstable ground i did manage to pull him out minus his chest waders that are still some were buried in the cliffs to day.

Luck day could have been a call to the coast guard

• Like Like x 1
  2. DK

DK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Thanks again for yours and everyone elses help that day. Part of my shoulder sticks up in strange direction still. scary to think about it now, i had a graze on my head where it glanced the rock, luckly my shoulder took the impack. I had just proposed to my wife days earlier, the fall did not go down too well!

3. bow1

bow1 Rockling

Couple weeks.back at top of East pier slip my legs did a bambi on the wet grass......I remember my feet flapping as in a cartoon..... Did sort of a flip and smacked into the path face down....very lucky not to have serious facial injuries....went on to get few decent fish and.assisst in landing of a double...it's.why we.do it!!!

4. fishergirl

fishergirl Blenny

I hope my mum never reads this thread, I think she'd murder my dad for all the times he's taken me out and told her its "perfectly safe"

Luckily, no serious injuries or near misses for me. I did once get stuck in the mud after going the wrong way up the cliff at Stoupe Beck. Fortunately dad had a shovel in the car so I only had to wait 15mins before he could dig me out. Another time I was fishing at Jackson's Bay and fell on a rock, my knee was black and swollen but just bruising (phew), still managed to climb up Goldsborough cliffs the next day

• Like Like x 1
  5. faraday

faraday Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

07 feb 2011, was given some out of date lobster, thought i would try it, sea was as flat as a sheet of glass. sneaked onto scar lighthouse pier near the ww1 gun. chucked a few out (whiting loved em) ! freezing cold below 0 - left about 22:30 saw newspaper next day - pier wall collapsed roughly an hour later and exactly where i was.....

6. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

slipped going down ramseys blood from hand cut everywhere had 4 stitches in it at stranraer after fishing the day good bandage by my mate paul always wear gloves now