1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Snapping Ropes ? Falling Down Cliffs, Tumbling Off Ladders ?? Slipping On scars

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Dec 3, 2013.

1. E.F.C. FOREVER

E.F.C. FOREVER Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I slipped on there other night paul nothing major but when u look at it at low water if u were 2 slip on that part where ya tight in under gardens u would defo be in trouble

2. BigPauly

BigPauly Tina Turner _ Simply The Best

Similar thing happened to me and a couple of friends at the very same spot at Saltwick about 8 or 9 years ago.
    Some of you might remember the night as it was a big sea and it was on the news later about a family that got washed off the slip and drowned at the end of Marine Drive.
    Tones of weed and all sort of crap in the water, kelp, fish boxes, big lumps of driftwood the size of telegraph poles.
    We were right at the top of the beach against the cliff with about 20 or so yards of beach in front of us so it seemed pretty safe. Wrong!
    Then out of the blue a rogue wave just surged towards us at an angle, we saw it coming and because we were all close together we grabbed on to each other for stability. Before we knew it we were up to our wastes and you could feel the large stones being bashed against our ankles. Then before the surge went back and because it hit the cliff base at an angle, it came at us a second time from further down the base of the cliff from the side. This time nearly up to our chests. We all managed to stay standing and luckily we had only a couple of minutes before put our bags and gear on a ledge up the cliff behind us, otherwise it would have been bye bye to all our gear. We spent the next 2 hours on the ledge until it was safe to move off the beach.
    Looking back I can't believe that we even bothered to fish in such conditions.

I think the until you have had something happen to you like that, you never actually fully understand how dangerous and unpredictable the sea can be. No matter how much someone tells you, you have to experience it for yourself.

Big surge predicted on tonights high tide between 5pm and 6pm according the Calendar news weather forecast for the east coast.

It will interesting to see any pictures posted on the forum tomorrow but hopefully everyone will stay safe.

BP

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

I remember one night fishing down Hummersea, there was about four of us i met down there with Garry,
    it was a decent sea on a but looked perfect the tide was racing in and i had just got a fish to the edge when a surge hit me just as a grabbed the fish,

it nocked me over ,i got to my feet annd ran as fast as icould on those pebbles to the steps when another wave came ,
    garry shouted get behind the steps ,and it was a good job i did the surge hit me and came up to my neck,

if i wasnt behind those steel steps it would have been goodnight Vienna,
    i still had hold of my fish and in my hurry to get up the steps i knocked Garrys box of crabs into the sea Ha Ha

this is a photo of me from that night ,notice how clean my top is after just being soaked

[​IMG]

4. Mop The Hoople 2

Mop The Hoople 2 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Two events come to mind

always been ok on scars / rope get downs & cliff tops but,

first one was just above the metal steps at hummersea @ 35 yrs ago

heavy snow fall covered the path down & before the steps were in place

you had to climb down the last bit to the beach, got to this point & thought

ill just slide down the snow to the beach but ended up to the chest in that

"sticky" boulder clay ! only using rod as a gondola pole enabled me to push

myself out of the mud & reach safety. it took @ 20mins.

quick roll in the snow to clean up & on to the old harbour for a couple of fish.

second time was at clay point at Cattersea,

we fished hard in under the cliffs at the far corner where the scars meet the sand

& as the flood increased retreated back along the beach to clay point.

my mate took the rods & I had both titan rucksacks & rod rests.

we timed the run of waves hitting the old pill box with our headlights

& as they ebbed back my mate dashed below the pill box to dry land &

I waited for the next wash to ebb back

as I got half way across two waves came together hitting me & lifting

me up over the pill box & up the grass bank above it.

the back drag pulled me sea wards but the rod test stuck in the same

good old boulder clay & saved me being dragged away in the under tow.

two heavy titan rucksacks saved me from impact & a good spellio headlight

still shone after a good drenching.

I think most of all our 9 lives are used up now !!!

5. scaleback

scaleback Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

2 years ago 3 of us down boulby gully one of the lads with us rory when he casts he always takes 2 steps as he is casting as you can imagine he went to cast out took his usuall 2 steps then disappered all we saw was a light bobbing up and down in the water then all of a sudden rory popped up out of the water, we made sure he was ok then we all burst out laughin only thing hurt was his pride .

6. cps

cps Rockling

another one for the rook sack save
    fell off the ladder at green rock when I was around 15 in a festival match, lad with me said my rod tip was above the cliff top so must have been a good 20 ft, rattled the rungs on the ladder with my left hand all the way down enough to flatten the metal strap buckle on my watch, landed at the bottom and fell backwards onto my rook sack
    didn't rarly hurt myself was a bit sore the next day on one of my ankle's wouldn't think I would get away with it now
    always remember the lad with me peering over the top with his lamp and said" you ok" . I said "ye" he replied "well hurry up then we will miss the weigh in and I've beat you tonight "

7. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

And in those days perry running under the ledge to get on scaur you didint have studded chesties wouldnt even attempt it now no fear in the young blood anything to catch a codling.

paul.

8. Pony

Pony Yorkshire karma. It s called come uppence

My couple, first having pleasant afternoon by the Goat Track, nowt happening and left the rods to sit on a comfy rock to roll a fag. As I returned to the rods there was a dirty great big crash behind me. When I turned around there was a couple of tons of rock sat quite nicely on the same boulder I d been on moments before.
    Sands End beach, it was one of those nights, bait not staying put, lead going all directions, you know the sort; pub'd been a better option. Gives the pressure lamp a couple of pumps and the ruddy thing flares up. I used to have a lot more hair until then, so there's me off like Hussain Bolt down the beach, must have looked ruddy impressive, head first into the water. It was about 2 o' clock in the middle of January, freezing. I just bundled up me gear and chucked it in the back of the van in a heap.

9. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Nothing serious for me, did manage to fall off the sewer pipe down RHB trying to retrieve a fish, sideways on, full dunking, my mate was pi$$ing himself. Only other incident was down Dimmo on the Holderness, slipped trying to get down, the clays gave way on my right foot with my left foot still on the top, results was not clever resulting in a few months mending a medial ligament in my left knee.

10. mad mick

mad mick Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

one of the lads i work with was on his mates boat afew year ago out of workington. the engine cut outabout half mile off the shore. at workington you have a massive sand bar in that area and as the tide ebbs out of the solway itboils and looks rough with white water showing. robbie said they drifferet right into it. before he knew it he was getting bashed about on the sand bar, came to the top ad seen the boat up side down about 80yards away. once again he was dragged under and banging about on the bottom then popped up 10 yards from the boat. swam like mad and got hold of it and shouting for his 2mates. they were on the other side of the boat. soon the life boat came and rescued them all.
    robbie says he will never be so lucky ever again.

mick

11. simon22

simon22 Rockling

Hollyhead breakwater middle of winter. Big sea on comin over the top of the upper break. Call of nature needed so got me asda bag out and went rond one of the concret blocks that are on there. Happly doin my thing when i hear a mighty roar. Sea king chopper appears around 60 feet over my head with full spot light on me......another toilet one. Fishin with a mate on lock etive. He needs the loo and heads off round a bush on the side of the loch. Comes back after a while and sit back next to me. Well the smell was really bad and we could not work out why. Finaly could stand it no longer and put my light on to look round.. in my mates hood on his flotation suit was the best part ofhis bowels........i now call him sh## head

12. MandolinBanjo

MandolinBanjo Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Amazing !!

13. mad mick

mad mick Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

;D ha ha ha ha ha

mick

14. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

15. Baramundi Bob

16. E.F.C. FOREVER

E.F.C. FOREVER Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Has this bit of sea stirred summat up for you glenn ?

17. portlandbill

portlandbill Blenny

many years ago on southgare me and me brother fishing, rough but ok odd wave breaking over.
    my brother suddenly says dont like the look of this it was like them tsunami,s all the water seemed to go back and then a big wave came over.
    fortunately there where steel rings in the concrete wall and we managed to get our gear and hang onto the rings.
    got a good soaking :D but two other lads werent so lucky :D they had some warm upex pies and they got washed away :)

18. Baramundi Bob

19. Glenn Kilpatrick

Glenn Kilpatrick Blenny Staff Member

That was that scumbag who used to live in The Foghorn Paul. Him and his wife were a waste of a good skin. I dont easily take such a massive dislike to someone but neither of them served any purpose in life. Shame someone didnt send them tumbling down the cliff.

20. Bassplugger

Bassplugger Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Yeah Dan I carried your gear back up for you and to be honest you were there on a big boulder 1 second then gone the next and I heard you fall but did not see you so we scrambled about looking for you and I'll give you 110% for bravery because you were f*c*Ed mate and you shoulder was in a position where it looked like it belonged to your knee but you dug in and some how got back up the climb from hell and you looked very poorly but still you dug in and it was a grand effort seeing you get up that climb. It could have been different and a body bag could have been needed and as Glenn says it does happen as easy as that so it's pointless scaling the harshness of the incident down and it could have been so tragic. Thank God for George jacko rest his soul he seen exactly where you were walking back to the cut off point otherwise again it could have been tragic again because you could have got left there and where you fell!!! It was rock hopping to the extreme over 10ft rocks full of slippy grass so I think you could have been there the night Dan. Someone was looking over you that day and so much more could have went wrong. Everyone stay safe.

• Like Like x 1