1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Snapping Ropes ? Falling Down Cliffs, Tumbling Off Ladders ?? Slipping On scars

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

The all England is traditionally an unlucky match for me, but this year I was determined to put that right. My optimism was short lived however as I got twatted on the head by a rock ascending the rope before the match even started. Just like chris, the blood was continuously dripping and the worry is, not knowing how bad it it!

Apart from nearly making my maker from falling rocks from various places I think my worst moment was fishing bemmo tops. I had a decent fish on and walked down the grass slope in front of me to get a good lift. It had been raining before hand and I slipped going down.

I was picking up speed as I was sliding on my back. When I stopped, from my knees down, we're over the edge! I hung on to my rod though and got the fish ;D

2. mad mick

mad mick Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

some soft bits of peat under that foghorn. i been down once n thought we were going the wrong way lol.

mick

3. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

That would have scared the nuts off me.

4. E.F.C. FOREVER

E.F.C. FOREVER Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

What Paul doesnt tell you, is the twat who did that to the rope had a bad habbit of doing it. He should really of had a good beating. He oce pulled the rope up whilst people were at the bottom.
    [/quote] should be named and shamed and publicly flogged

5. lipslicker

should be named and shamed and publicly flogged
    [/quote]

Do you know his name?

6. E.F.C. FOREVER

E.F.C. FOREVER Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I dont personally m8 no I might of misread what glen was saying there should be on the reciving end of a good hidin though without a doubt

7. Lynn_M

Lynn_M Its all about fast bikes & fishing !!!! :-)))))

Its a good thread this , ive only been (trying) fishing 5 mins but already nearly followed my rod whilst casting off runswick rocks and because i tend to overthink things anyway im very cautious especially at night , least during the day you can sometimes see whats coming ie rogue waves.

10-15 yrs ago i would of been straight down those ropes at Boulby but i took one look at it the other day and muttered feck that :eek: Some pretty hairy stories there lads and that little sh*t who messed with the ropes definatley needs a beatdown as thats just sick :mad:

Be good as a sticky this thread :)

8. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

It was the guy who lived in the foghorn, thankfully he sold up and moved. His wife used to get very verbal whenever I fished there. Shouting and screaming at me for going across the field. I thought she was going to have an heart attack one night she got that upset, mainly because I was so calm with her and wouldnt argue back. The calmer I stayed the more irate she got. I thought hr head was going to blow up.

In the end I said "look love, you better calm yourself down as your going to make yourself Ill. Despite what you say or do, I have a right to cross this field and go fishing down there, and regardless of how loud you shout Im still going to do that every week through winter. i did it before you lived there and ill be doing it after youve gone"

That seemed to wind her up a bit more. mad bitch she was. I wonder whose life she is making a misery now. She will be screaming at some kids somewhere for enjoying themselves or something.

It wasnt even their field and I had permission from the farmer. She once threatened to trash my car, which I told her and her husband would be the worst mistake they could ever make. Seemed to put her off.

They were forever cutting the rope or removing it which of course was very dangerous given people were down there and needed it to get back up. Plus it served as an escape route for any walkers etc getting cut off by the tide.

Most people in Whitby will know him. He used to run a security business and had a big Alsatian. Thankfully he has left now so it safe again.

9. Baramundi Bob

Ive had a couple of near misses myself. In a mad rush to get at the fish I fell off the top of the ladder at Hawsker. I did a full somersault mid air and landed on my backpack. Hardly a mark on me despite falling 20 - 30 ft. Killer was there that night and couldnt believe what happened.

Another night I slipped and did my ankle at long hole. Just about managed to walk off but my ankle was bad for the following 6 months.

I also fell in the river hole at Robin Hoods Bay after leaving it to long to get off, almost got cutr off and had to wade the gaps and ended up getting washed in. Niel Ingliss fished me out with his rod butt.

After reading this topic Im surprised we have any members left on this forum

10. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I suppose I ll have to add my worst up to now!
    The day started meeting Rob at Flambro, looked down into Thornwick blue grey blashy sea. I said looks like time to go home, but against better judgement we toddled off to back of roll up. Halfway down my bait spraying crab and mussel etc everywhere, second message, someone was telling me I should go Home.
    Anyway three casts on the bit of bait I d scrounged and decided it was about time to go, too heavy, no colour difficult swell direction. Maybe a cast off the rockfall might be worth one last cast. Had that cast, nowt, stepped onto a rock, tumble Snap a 4" spiral fracture to my ankle ! the next hour or so of my life I never want to repeat, thankfully once up the ropes......a measured decision but one I 'd still make today. I was able to hobble to my van and get the dreaded phonecall made to my missus, whilst Rob managed to haul both sets of gear up the ropes.
    Next time it looks crap it probably will be...... Go home and try another day ;-)
    Good boots with ankle support probably prevented what was a serious injury being much worse. Oceans, vass whatever make of welly based waders offer no ankle support at all, I wear wading boots now for just about all my rock fishing.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

11. mad mick

mad mick Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i have noticed that rucksacks have been the things that have stopped bad falls becoming very bad. if you get what am saying.

mick

12. Baramundi Bob

Saved me I think.

13. 3be2

3be2 Blenny

Hmm.. Don't know about Anglers, It's Holidaymakers I worry about. Not a year goes by without me witnessing some situation where I wonder 'how on earth did they get away with that?'.

Lack of respect for the Sea, tides and forecasts (swell and such). Lack of respect for a coastline which, in parts, can drop a 100 tons of rock in seconds. I'm just amazed that 'they' always seem to get away with it.

And I live 'inland'.

14. BOOMSTICK

BOOMSTICK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Last year me and yakkin sam were off down kettleness when i went to grab the 1st rope and the ground gave way below my feet and i tumbled about 30ft off the side. Landed on my feet some how. Sam was more shaken up then i was bless him. I just laughed and cracked on to the mark

15. Boro5707

Boro5707 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Same here, fished St Marys island in sept with a bit of sea on. Tourists letting there kids just walk at the edge of the rocks. Literally 2 ft from the swell. In the end I was so concerned I shouted for them to get back and told the parents to keep them away. It was literature family after family all allowing there kids to wander around the rocks, with deep water at there feet. In the end I packed up and went after a lad about 8 decided to climb the rocks I was actually fishing on and was stood under my rod, in front of my tripod. Parents watching him! Wadered on before high with no one there and was bliss, but the last couple of hours when people could get across the causeway coming up to low spoilt it. Did manage a nice 5lb kelpy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

I think i could count myself very lucky when fishing one night on saltwick beach many years ago i was all on my own on the beach the swell were quite big also a lot of lose weed so i was stood a bit closer to water then normal and was holding my rod high to try and avoid the weed.
    Next thing it just whited out some very big long distance swells appeared so straight away i knocked my reel out of gear and started to let line off and walk backwards what happened next was something i will never forget as i was letting the line off i stumbled on stone which behind me i fell over onto my back before i didnt have chance to get up before those very big long distance swell were running up the beach next thing the water was over me now saltwick beach is very often quite steep the sands banks up i some how managed to stand back up i was being pulled down the beach by the back drag from the waves but managed to get back out of the water very lucky and very wet spoiled a good night as i had had 2 fish the last two chucks the daft thing when on a beach you dont expect a blood stone to be stuck in the middle of it when i looked round after i gathered myself it was only a small stone stuck in the middle of the sand but it doest take much to lose your balance whren off your guard especially when walking backwards.

paul.

17. lipslicker

Fishing the Brigg a few years back, and tide flooding.
    We all moved back up a terrace, but two Eastern European guys stopped down. Someone told them they should be moving back, and they just shrugged and carried on.
    You can probably guess the next bit. Swell spilled over, taking them both down. Tripods, rods, rucksacks, everything got dragged in. Luckily not them, though they were properly shaken up.
    In the rucksacks - wallet, phones and car keys.
    Whoops!

I am pleased to say that nothing much has afflicted me, though I have had to run backwards in that same spot the odd time, and once only just kept my feet.
    When you see a freak swell it takes you completely by surprise.

On Saturday got chatting to a fellow river angler from up the Wear way (incidentally, he had caught over 2000 salmon in his life on the shrimp method around Durham/Chester-Le-street! including 246 in one year. Some record that!!!).
    Anyway, told him I fished the sea mainly. He told me of two mates of his who fish Stranraer area, off rocks. They casted and one bends down to his rucksack, looks up and other one has just gone, disappeared. He shouted for him, looked for him with his head torch, screamed for him, but nothing. A few minutes later the guy was thrown back onto their rock, soaked, bruised, bedraggled. A swell had come in quietly, whipped his legs from underneath him and taken him 100 yards out, without him even being able to cry out. Luckily for him, he got spat back out a few waves later.
    Salmon man said they both never went sea fishing now, and gave up that very moment.

If anyone remembers that Aberystwith wave I posted a few weeks back, titled 'How many of us would this take with it?', then you can see how it happens.

18. Baramundi Bob

I remember that happening to you on upgang. Only a small swell and you were never in danger, but you fell trying to get onto a rock and the water covered you. Then as it receded you r head popped up out the water like a giant sea creature swept in by the waves.

19. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

When I think back we have all had a major soaking at sometime. When I think about the times going onto Whitby scaur from saltwick nab dodgeing the waves running below the ledge mad now thinking back one slip and you would have been washed away .

Paul

20. Steve

Steve Rockling

who was it that feel onto the ledge at dugout a few years back