1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Snapping Ropes ? Falling Down Cliffs, Tumbling Off Ladders ?? Slipping On scars

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Tell us the worst things that have happened to you or your friends when accessing marks. The reason is Im interested and I also think all newcomers should realise the dangers involved.

2. bow1

bow1 Rockling

daiwa open bout 3 years back mate of mine accessing dimmo,where get downs usually bit ropey got stuck in the clay!eventually sank to mid thigh befoer i could extract him from his waders and leave him stood on bait bucket lid for half hour whilst i got car.
    nearly pissed myself laughing but wasnt far off calling fore brigade.lads walking on all time,noone offered to help!!!!!!
    had to leave waders there.

personally had a few close calls accessing maeks up mull slipping and nearly going over edge.always put rope in now.

also big seas nearly got us on arbroath break water.just got off before sea liftrd a transit van into harbour!!!!!

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

3. mozzer

mozzer Blenny

I was fishing at boulby at night with a couple of mates , i went up the rope first the bottom bit where you drop onto the beach no problem, my mate followed he was half way when the ground started to move under him and a huge boulder the size of an armchair rolled down and missed the lad at the bottom by inches and he was buried upto his knees in mud, very lucky escape

4. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Went to high light with my son phillip quite a few years ago phillip was only 14 but could climb cliffs like a nanny goat

his mam didnt know half the time where he was going we got to the top of the cliff to walk round the ledge phillip shot in front of me to go first

i quicky said no son me first follow me i went along the ledge then grabbed the rope straight away i new something was wrong and sure enough the rope was lose.

somebody had detached it from the pin in the ground at the top i felt sick as if my lad had gone first he would have gone along the ledge and probably put his weight on the rope

the rest inst worth thinking about i allways say to anybody climbing cliffs never put your full weight on any rope till you have checked the rope is fully secure i still think about it now .

paul.

5. DK

DK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Slipped on a rock at Goldsborough in an open match in 2000 just after the millenium. Broke my shoulder blade and displaced my collerbone. I think it was George Jackson who i saw while trying to get off the rocks I was in shock shaking and in tears. He called a couple of other lads who took my gear up and one of them followed me up the cliff and dropped me off at the Brotton hospital. I was very lucky not to bang my head off the boulders and got away with a graze on the side of my head. At one stage I thought it was going to be a helicopter job. Thank god for George and the other lads, I was in big trouble at the time. :-\

6. E.F.C. FOREVER

E.F.C. FOREVER Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Thats the stuff of nightmares paul. If that was done on purpose someone is a very sick person.

7. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Perry i think if i had caught the person who had cut the rope at the top i dont what i would have done you can only guess.

paul.

8. ste muir

ste muir New Member

Remember being told that story years back but the lad who told me it had a slightly more different tale. He had George carrying you up the bank firemans lift style lol.Good old Jacko rest his soul.

9. ste muir

ste muir New Member

Was fishing at the back of the main gulley down Goldsborough one day when I decided to join my mate who was fishing further up. I had just got to where my mate was when part of the cliff came down where I had been stood 5 minutes earlier.White face and squeaky bum time for sure :eek:

10. DK

DK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Top bloke George, I might just have broke his back.. lets just say if the helicopter had come it would have needed to be a chinuk ;)

11. robq

robq Rockling

Touch wood iv had nothing more than a few bruises :)

Iv heard stories about lads falling down bemmo tho :eek: does anyone know about harry moon falling down gull newk ?? Quite a few years back now I think

12. mad mick

mad mick Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

walking from the rocks on the left of runswick to the beach and fell in a hole in the scar, went to top of waders n shat myself.

lost balance up whithorn n bashed my back off the jagged rocks.

playing a fish down horden beach in a big sea and a basket ball size rock rolled behind my legs n when i stepped back i fell over on seen a wall of water coming at me, stood up and water came to my waste. pure scary moment as it was pulling we down. packed up n went home.

also scary moment watching bow1 slip n roll over while climbing down lagvag. not been able to help him was scary hoping he stopped before the end.

i have also tripped over while on cliff tops, worst was noses point seaham with feet been inchs from the edge.

years ago walking from bell hole to mucky bay (horden) a rock fell from the cliff and landed just behind me n that was heart racing.

fly fishing on the river tweed 13year ago i slipped on a rock n ended up soaked with waders full of water. thank god i hit a shallow bit.

think thats about it.......

mick

13. Borgue

Borgue Blenny

Harry Moon fell down Birdash not Gull Nook! I remember the day well. My old man and I were approaching the turn off to go up the track, when we noticed a coastguard vehicle towards top of the cliff.

As we turned off onto track we were met by Steve I'Anson, we knew by the look on his face that something pretty bad had happened.

He then told us that Harry had fallen. Fearing the worst I felt stunned and sick that a fellow angler and all round top bloke might be badly injured, or worse.

Apparently a peg towards the bottom of the descent had pulled out as Harry was going down. The result being he was swung round into the cliff and the impact sent him falling.

As I have been told by those who witnessed the horrific incident, Harry's backpack helped break his fall. Unfortunately, he had a seriously damaged knee and was airlifted to hospital.

As you will all know, thankfully Harry has recovered and is still doing what he loves. Don't think he has been back down the Birdash since the incident - no shame in that!

Harry's fall was a freakish accident and since that happened people have been up and down the rope hundreds of times largely without any incident, other than a stone on the head eh Luke!

Most people who go down the Birdash these days know what they are doing, use proper climbing equipment and do so at their own risk.

So with this in mind please let's not have the anti Birdash brigade reigniting a debate on whether it should be allowed or not as I still have not heard any justified reason behind such claims.

Each to their own eh! By comparison with Harry, my worst moment was an insignificant 3 stitches to my left eye caused by a fall on the rocks, ironically fishing bottom of rope at the Birdash! Take care all.

Whilst we are all highly driven by our sport, and there are managed risks associated with what we do, anglers safety and keeping an eye out for each other should be at the forefront of all our minds. Cheers. Paul (Medd).

14. cps

cps Rockling

had a rope [ steve I ansons I think ] snap half way down the steep bit in the middle of the bird ash. slid a while but stoped befor I came tight on the rope still in my hand against the next peg, then had to climb back up to knot the rope back togeater ready to go back up after the match

had a big rock come down whist on the crab scaur down roll up first I knew was a loud crack as it hit the scaur behind me shattered into shrapnel and I got a bit about golf ball size on the head , think it was a wed afternoon math in scar festival had about 6 stiches
    worst thing was I was on me own and blood was running down my face but didn't know how bad it was, remember climbing back up wondering If it would ever stop bleeding

fell over one day down south hawsker walking with both hands in my pockets as it was cold with me rod tucked under my arm sliped and couldent get my hands out head butted the scaur spilt eye and a right shiner, mont was p@@sin him self laughing when I got back to him
    probably had a few more but those 3 stick in my mind

15. g8bvl

g8bvl Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Fishing gulley wash one flat calm summer night, heard a noise that sounded similar to a train, picked out what appeared to be a wave with my headlamp, stuck the reel in free spool and tried making for a higher part of the scaur, got hit waste high by the freak wave, washed into the gulley, the wave bounced back off the rock behind, washing me back to where I could stand.

Luckily my bag was floating where I could reach it, grabbed it and made a long walk back home to Filey soaked.

My only other incident of note was fishing Staithes breakwater, something I had done many times before, went on to fish over high tide but had failed to notice / appreciate the likelihood of a tidal surge due to the weather patterns of the previous day.

As the tide started to rise it kept on coming until it was washing round our feet, the wind had lifted as predicted from the north, the sea followed suit and started to break on the armour, with plenty coming over the breakwater.

Next thing we knew we were lit up like a comedy duo, two bangs and the lads from Staithes lifeboat appeared to remove us with still 45 minutes until the top of the tide.

After disembarking a matter of seconds later, we gave our embarrassed thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

16. Apollo

Apollo Blenny

I wouldn't add any more to this thread regarding the Bempton get downs. There is acurrent issue with the ownership of the ropes due to liability. RSPB are looking for any ammunition to to gain a ban for people wishing to fish off the tops. I know I don't post much and most people wont know who I am, but I think the least amount of posts regarding ropes in Bempton will be in our best interests.

17. Baramundi Bob

What Paul doesnt tell you, is the twat who did that to the rope had a bad habbit of doing it. He should really of had a good beating. He once pulled the rope up whilst people were at the bottom.

18. Baramundi Bob

They wont ever stop it. I know lads on here who have had face to face discussions with the rspb people.

19. riley.

riley. Blenny

Been washed off binks by a rougue wave once nearly got sucked in lost tripod
    Was climbing down long hole and rope snapped landed about 10ft backwards onto my backpack
    And a gannet nearly took my rod over bemmo , and like you do dived over edge to grab it , luckily my mate Phil had grabbed my boot before I finally went over ! Said if never go to bemmo again , of course I have :) love it

20. ShArK

ShArK Blenny

I fell the last 10ft down roll up landed on my ruck sack, and had cliff give way under fog horn where my feet where that was scary as hell.