1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smoothhounds at the Mull of Galloway

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by congerball, Jun 21, 2014.

1. congerball

congerball Blenny

Just got back from a shore session just outside the village, went to try and get my first Smoothhound and ended up with three including a 'Stary'. Some lads we bumped into nearby (from Stockton) estimated the biggest to be about 8lb. So I'm well chuffed, I'll get some photos uploaded when I'm at the Mull cafe tomorrow. All caught on Peeler and wishbone rigs. Two of them took both hook baits too.

Sat in the van now looking down to Caliness point, tide going out, low tide at 2am ish. Tempted to chuck a fat peeler crab out.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Nice work mate. Was thinking of a trip up soon if I can find a b and b. Keep us posted on how things go. Cant wait to see your smoothhound pics.

3. deece1981

deece1981 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Nice one Ben,

My brother and I just got back from a couple more nights camping up there, we tried for Pollock on the west coast but had poor luck, think that northerly wind and choppy seas has scared them off!! Only managed about 20 or so fish between us and we have named them "kelp scratters" on account that they are smaller than the lures they were taking.

Had 1 session for the bass on Wednesday evening trying lures and still no luck!!

Good work on the smoothies, nice when a plan comes together, looking forward to the pics!!

Dan

4. imonlycoddin

imonlycoddin Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

good fishing congerballs 8lb is a good un for that area they dont seam 2get much bigger but hopefully well see a 10lbr soon. my biggest is about 7lb for up scotland, we fish for them at garlieston not far from burrow head holiday village, had a session last week we had 5. cant wait see your pics bet you cant wait av another go at um now ;D

matty

5. congerball

congerball Blenny

6. congerball

congerball Blenny

Cheers lads. Just getting used to this Tapatalk. Having a few issues so hope it works.

It's a guesstimate....could be smaller see what you guys think. Just happy I've added a new species to my list.

7. congerball

congerball Blenny

Going to have another go for them this afternoon, same mark (if nobody's there already!) will update if get anything.
    They don't half put up a scrap when they get into shallow water!

8. limpet

limpet Blenny

well done mate nice fish 8) can i ask what the water clarity was like when you got them ?

9. bigsi

bigsi Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Well done chap,nice tidy fish,not telling u how to suck eggs pal,wishbone rig ???get yourself on a pulley rig buddy,proper big fish rig to target them hounds,wishbones r ok for flatty's n bit's at range,but not the best for big hounds.Keep at e'm fellah,hope u get one a bit bigger nxt time out :)...

10. Baramundi Bob

Looks somewhere near Tirelly ?? Are there any bass showing mate ?

11. congerball

congerball Blenny

Just got back from another session, managed another 3 Smoothhounds and a Codling. My brother had 2 and a Gurnard. I'll post photos when I get chance. Another enjoyable day.
    Yes I agree that the pulley would be a better choice but to be fair the wishbone rig has got me Bass and Flattys in the past so I stuck with it.

Water clarity wasn't crystal clear but it's not far off. I've seen it a lot more coloured. Looks good.

On reflection regarding the 8lb estimate I think it's probably near 6 or 7. Anyway still buzzing from going from 0 in twenty odd years fishing to 6 in two days.
    Will be targeting them more next time.

12. congerball

congerball Blenny

Good guess Glenn...near but a bit further round the corner. Between Grennan and Kilstay Bay.

13. congerball

congerball Blenny

Few more photos from yesterday...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. MOTLLEY22

MOTLLEY22 New Member

Looks a great session that lads. Very well done, good pics. Looking forward to getting up there soon.
    Mart
    :-X

15. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

nice catch Ben , were they all on crab ,may have to take some up in august .

16. congerball

congerball Blenny

Not long for you Mart.

Nowthen Harry, all the fish were on Peeler. I managed to find 2! Hahaha ended up buying a load from Erics. I'm not confident if I haven't got peeler on....that's all we seem to catch on these days.
    Managed to get 8 Pollock best going 4 3\4lb. All bar one were of a nice size. Crab pot had been dropped right where I needed to cast to so a bit disappointed really. Hopefully it'll be clear next time.
    I'll stick another couple of photos up shortly.

17. Baramundi Bob

I was over at weekend guys. Pollack and bass are there. Had about seventy pollack over three days.

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0100 using Tapatalk 2

18. congerball

congerball Blenny

19. congerball

congerball Blenny

Sounds great Glenn, any monsters? Wetting my appetite now. Can't wait for the next session.

20. BeeceUK

BeeceUK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Good stuff yet again Ben, some great pictures, is that one of them Savagear rubber mesh landing nets in the first pic? I got one a month or so ago and think they're a nice bit of kit.

We too were over at the weekend, came over with a mate whos never fished up there before and had a great day saturday, were into the pollock immediately and must have had about 25- 30 each that session. Certain times it was literally a fish a chuck , alot of the time getting hit before your lure had even got to the bottom.We all had fish to 4lb and like usual lost some that felt a good size too.

Went out like usual on the night to try for bass and I managed to hook into one about 4th cast on a plug, got it right into the kelp surround the rock i was stood in and as I climbed down off the rock it was off and gone :(

Changed spot an hour or two later and my mate had a good take but nothing came of it. Still like Glenn says theyre deffo there :)

Next up back end of July for a full week in a cottage which Im really looking forward to.