1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slack liners, wind in or not ??

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Mladds, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Mladds

Mladds Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi just a question, someay have seen my pier report from last night were I missed a few fish as a result of slack liners and winding in slowly hoping line to pull back of then lifting into it.

I was told its best to just leave it until rod goes and fish on?

What's your views and experience on this ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. bow1

bow1 Rockling

reel in like hell to take slack up amd once feel any weight hit it

3. bigsi

bigsi Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

If it's a small slack liner(line drops slack a little)tighten up the slack while holding the rod,see if you can feel anything :)
    If it's a proper slack liner n the line falls "slack" on to the beach/rocks,wind in very fast to take up the slack line,the fish will be coming in to the shore...

4. mattiethomp

mattiethomp skinnygrove back alley shin kickers

Wind in slack to keep in touch then hold rod for max 5mins to feel for the fish then u can react if u feel it bite/swim off/or give u more slack, if not after 5mins return to normal fishing stance ie put rod down as normal or if on the rocks hold in normal position I've had slack liners go on for upto ten mins before I've hit it wen there not really on the prod!!

5. simon22

simon22 Rockling

Can I ask if u were on a plane or grip. I am no expert but should think that if fish has broken grip out it would be hooked as the pull needed would set the hook. I don't know which is why I ask

6. jason131972

jason131972 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

in theory the fish has self hooked
    so reel in fast to connect with the fish don't wait for anything
    ive had 8 slack liners today and reeled like mad as soon as the line dropped and hooked into every one ;)

7. flipper

flipper Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Depends on conditions for me.if the sea has been running a while and fish are stuffed then I wind like mad and try to hit them straight away.otherwise I have had more success in flat conditions or when sea just comes away by winding slowly up with slack and waiting until fish gets it down it's neck

8. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Never.

Learn how to feel if a fish has actually taken the hook or not. Wind very slowly upto feeling the weight. Dont be in a rush, dont listen to people around you shouting its on, and Never over tighten or your likely to start moving your lead about which to the inexperienced will feel like a fish is moving your lead about. Wait, wait wait !! Only strike or start to wind if you feel that definite pull of a fish. Half the time your tripping the lead yourself.

If in doubt put the bloody rod down again and only pick it back up if you see a bite.

The amount of inexperienced anglers Ive seen actually striking into thin air or winding right in whilst thinking they are being slack lined is laughable.

9. Bassplugger

Bassplugger Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Yes and no lol its a difficult question really 80% once it's dropped slack the fish has moved away with your bait in its mouth and have had my 3 double figure fish on slack liners.

I pick up the slack and hit to set the hook as cod sometimes just eat your big bait then open their mouths and drop your bait without ever being hooked.

I would say the other 20 percent hit and run with your bait especially when they are full after a blow up and that's when you pick up slack then wrap the line around your thumb and wait for that nodding on your tip and you feel it through your line they are the ones that get away and there's nothing there when you strike.

I think really if you are picking up 30 yards of slack line it's pretty much a banker that the fish has swallowed your bait and is moving down with the tide and it's yours it's the fast bites that go bang bang slack stop then bang bang then stop are the fish that are messing with your bait because they can't get it in their mouths for fish crab or those sea urchin things and you will strike and there's nothing there.

In the past week every time I have been out its one slack liner after another and I have missed quite a lot due to the cod being stuffed with tiny billet and they have dropped the hook when I have lifted the fish up the pier so like I say it's a yes no answer I can't remember seeing so many Anglers in one winter shaking their heads in frustration through missing slack liners and I would say on Saltburn last week there was 10 slack liners missed between 5 lads on the end in the space of 2 hours over high water.

Maybe the fish are learning how to feed without getting hooked lmao

10. Baramundi Bob

And if Killer is stood next to you shouting "Its On, Its On, Its On" put a sock in his mouth or cotton wool in your ears.

11. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

That's before you used a Pennel rig glen a lot of the time swell the amount of fish about detures just how the fish feed they will often pick a bait up and run with it and don't swallow it bait presentation is massive smaller baits presented well with top hook usually gives very good results the more fish there is around the more aggressive they feed and rarely miss any .

Paul

12. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

lawsy does this aswell!

13. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Its them mops rich massive baits just do not mix nobody likes a big bait more then i i do but you need those better fish about and when they are on the prowl its usually down there neck.

paul.

14. BigPauly

BigPauly Tina Turner _ Simply The Best

Someone once explained to me why fish sometimes run with the bait, hence slack liners.

Basically it's usually; as someone else mentioned in this thread, because of competition when there are lots of fish about. It's like when you feed the birds on your lawn and you throw out bread crumbs and a flock of starlings come down all pecking at the crumbs. Then observe what happens when you throw out a big chunk of bread. One bird will pick up the chunk and try to get it away from the other birds and eat it away from the flock before they try to steal it. Sea Gulls do the same and as was explained to me, so do cod and other fish and almost all other aspects of nature.

I guess a cod running with the bait may not have initially eaten the bait, but instead is just getting it away from the competition before eating it.

So as Glenn pointed out, don't just strike, instead feel the line and try to work out what is happening and if the fish has actually taken the bait properly.

Interesting thread this!

15. Baramundi Bob

I was going to add, that if someone like Mark was to watch Killer or Paul Lobley and wonder why they are catching a dozen fish whilst he is catching 2. This is more to do with bait than the ability to deal with slack line bites.

I will bet my bottom dollar that Killer or Paul have the bait sussed. Probably fishing a single black (Fresh or Frozen) as opposed to a large cocktail or a squid. The fish are taking these baits without an issue.

What I believe is happening with Mark is, hes getting a bite, the fish has tripped the lead but not taken the bait. Then he's winding in, feeling the lead moving, thinking its a fish and keeping winding, but the fish that tripped the lead is long gone.

I would say to Mark at the moment. On the west pier Switch to a single black, or perhaps better still a Black worm, a rag and 1 tell pie. Get some laggy bands round your wires to make sure they dont trip out, then if a fish moves the lead, the lead can dig back in again and carry on fishing if the fish has gone away.

I Know Killer well and I know his tactics. He's a successful angler when the conditions and stamp of fish play into his hands, if the fish go into the mode of taking worm on the sand then you wont find a better angler than Paul Kilpatrick, and a lot of it is to do with Runswick Lug. Small but excellent baits.

Whats your thoughts Big Cod ??

16. Baramundi Bob

When I used to fish with Killer he would drive me mad. Youd go down to a bite and you could hear him in the background - "Its on, its on, its on that" then you would get all excited and strike into thin air and you could hear him pissing himself laughing. Sometimes I could hear him saying "Its on that" when I couldnt even feel anything happening.

The temptation to strike when someone is doing that to you is massive. I've also noticed the eagerness of new and inexperienced anglers to strike when there is nothing there. Its like a massive blood rush and all common sense goes out the window.

Its The Angling version of Premature Ejaculation.

17. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Yes a great analogy Glenn, so when you get a slackliner think of football or how to point up a wall

18. Mop The Hoople 2

Mop The Hoople 2 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Agree with most of glens comments

have a look on youtube "cod feeding on long line"

ive tried to add it here without success, it will help some to understand how

cod rave at a bait without hooking themselves.

19. simon22

simon22 Rockling

I should think hook size comes into it as well. I know when I go uptiding I always used a 6/0. However Paul recommended I go down to a 4/0 and I did hook more fish.

20. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

There is one thing for sure glen useing worm baits generally means you miss less bites especially nowadays with the top hook added I allways think if ther are a lot of smaller fish about a small bait is required if your after the bigger fish a large bait seems to do the trick .

But a lot of anglers forget bait presentation can be vital a bait well presented will get you a fish big squid baits can mass the hook when useing squid I allways make sure the top hook is well into the squid and the main hook stuck out clear of the squid near the head both hooks are well presented and the squid firmly in place should result in very few missed bites .

It sounds like the fish has grabbed marks squid and probably massed the hook up thus resulting in missing the bites that scenario cost me the Redcar open a few years ago pulled into a really good fish got the weight of fish it was heavy and it came off pulled in and all my lathe crab bait had been pulled down over point of the hook I had actually pulled my bait out if the fishes mouth just one more decent fîsh would got me 1 st in the match I allways try and take great care when presenting a good bait it's vital .

Paul

Paul