1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skye High Club... Skye Fishing Adventure.

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by GJW, Aug 9, 2015.

1. GJW

GJW Rockling

Hello Folks.

Sorry for the late report but its better late than never....

Having been to Skye a few times in the past and done a bit of fishing and been totally in awe of its beauty, I thought its about time i dragged a few of my angling buddies up to show them just what a special place Skye really is.

Well we made the long trek north through the night as the roads were far less busy, its a long enough journey as it is without being caught up in traffic...

Once on Skye I was taken back again just how stunning this place really is, it just seems to get better and better and seems that round every corner is a fantastic photo opportunity..

We were lucky with the weather really, very little rain but at times the wind made things a bit tricky and forced us to take shelter and fish in less favourable venues, but all in all it was a smashing week with some great friends and some nice fish to show for our efforts..

Well here are some pictures of the trip hope you enjoy them...

The Team..

[​IMG]

Most venues held Spurdogs and a many of them were into double figures, we even manage them to over 12lb on the float which was good fun on the light rods...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well the spurs kept coming thick and fast with one of the lads catching 2 on the same rig for combined weight of 19lb, one the main hook and one on the pennel hook...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back fishing and yet again the the Spurs were out in force...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The view from our cottage was unreal...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Amongst the Spurs we managed to catch Conger, Ling, Cod, Wrasse, Coalfish, Pollock, Mackerel, Dogfish, Skate..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kilt Rock..

[​IMG]

Cuckoo Wrasse for Harry..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Small Conger for John..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well the highlight of the trip had to be the big Skate Matty caught, it took around 1 hour from first hooking it to landing it and but up a great account of itself ripping of yards of line when going on a run and often just hanging in the tide with him unable to move it, eventually it tired and out came a lovely Skate, quickly measured it and a few photo's and it was soon back swimming off it was an amazing sight to see such a creature...

The Skate measured 83"/62" and the Skate calculation chart put it at around 207lb..

The gang and the Skate..

[​IMG]

Matty and Skate..

[​IMG]

I know it was was not good handling of the Skate in the first picture and we would never intend to damage such a creature, but we are now aware that holding a fish like this could damage its spine.. Lesson learnt and if we ever catch another you can be assured we would not do the same again..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Farewell fishing friends until we meet again..

Tight-lines.

2. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Fantastic report and pictures.
    Thanks for uploading.

God I love Skye.
    Such a magical place.

3. glassback

glassback Blenny

nice report gary ,and some great photo,s
    to ,harrys been busy .
    looks a great place to ,but i supose its even better when the suns out and fish are biting
    well done lads some quality fish .

4. Rockford

Rockford Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Great report Gary.Alan recalled the trip highlights when we met last week. Massive achievement Matty and some top Photos from Harry and the lads.

5. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

6. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

great post lads,
    want to get up there one of these days but the walks look scary for me will need my lad to come up as a donkey for me,
    thanks for posting and the pictures look great the scenery looks fantastic and plenty of fish ,who could ask for more.

7. DK

DK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

great summer sport

8. Davyred

Davyred Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Quality report Gary and some great fish.. Need to have a trip up there one day

9. mocksqueek

mocksqueek Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Great post and fantastic pictures, They should rename the place Heaven. Thanks for posting.

10. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

Awsome fishing as usual lads

11. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

brilliant report and pics think i need to put it on bucket list were still bashing the mull

12. Dav

Dav Rockling

Quality report and pics as always Gary , would loved to of been up there. It's a stunning place like .

13. SAGE

SAGE always trying...... some say very trying !!!!!

another absolutely brilliant report, once again thanks for taking the time and effort..... all the photos look brilliant and the waether looks as if it has been kind to you all....
    thanks again
    Paul

14. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

Excellent week with a great bunch of lads.

Matties fish was the highlight of the week , the potential up there is unbelievable.

15. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

So pleased you had a great time Boys. A very special island indeed. Pleased the weather and fished played ball for you.

16. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Many thanks Glenn for sorting the problem out --- I totally support your sentiments about the site its the total apathy by many members that get to me , ass I said JGW put 2 wonderful reports up and they attracted less than 20 replies and that's disgusting -- NO
    IFS OR BUTS disgusting !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ------ Its a shame that you couldn't be able to have so many views , then if you don't reply to any of them you are shut out , it should never have to come to that BUT some people it would be good enough for ----- I WILL start
    posting topics again , I will try to make them interesting and thought provoking , and I would like people to reply good bad or indifferent , and do the same for other members who take the time to put up Topics , SO PLEASE DO THE DECENT THING and bring
    the best Forum back to life

17. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Cheers Alan, I think Its a general reflection of society as a whole. Facebook has created a whole group of people who cant be any more creative than clicking a LIKE button. Where that takes us as a nation god only knows.

18. robq

robq Rockling

Glad to see the site running again :)

sorry for the late reply Gary as wasnt responding to anything really while it was playing up :(

Anyway another great report :) and the pics stunning as usual !!

A quality read :)

19. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

In a word "STUNNING"..you lad's really are what angling is all about,.good banter great fishing and awesome venues..now I've retired I must travel to skye it's on my bucket list lol....joking apart brilliant reports lad's...tight lines ...mick.