1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skinningrove Jetty Scrap Man ???

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Acko, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Acko

Acko Rockling

I have fished Skinningrove Jetty all my life.

ave found out recently Numptys are destroying the jetty with Stihll saws , They have taken lots of Railings etc.
    I am guessing these Clowns are only getting a daft £20 quid or something for the weight in scrap.
    I know their Your Names and I want it stopped NOW
    Its not just me ...You are treading on the toes of all us Anglers.....
    So Fk off........

2. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

dont fish there myself but well said mate.

frank.

3. Davo

Davo Rockling

I was on yesterday for the first time in ages and couldnt believe what was missing.

4. big cod on

big cod on Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

me two m8 love fishing at skinny well said

5. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Fully agree but maybe the wrong place to say it buddy. If the council get to hear of it you can Guarantee there will be a fence erected to keep us off.

6. Mop The Hoople 2

Mop The Hoople 2 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Strange things happen when times are hard, even m/hole covers are being weighed in,causing accidents.

We used to help Fred Bostock years ago maitaining the jetty for the grove angling club.

He changed the "decking" on the end to kennedy grating, this let the force of the sea run through & not breaking up the decking.
    meaning less cost to replace it, nobody "nicked" it for scrap.

When you come to think about it, only the hand rail chains used to be taken for the nets bottom line!!

All the 18" /24" pipe work for the feed & return for the cooling systems up the jetty bank wouldnt last 5 mins now.

Like most things,its to be wise after the event, wouldnt it have been great if they had placed some of the sea defence
    grannite in the pump house sump to make a better area for fishing & to protect the jetty even better.

I think one of the reasons that it isnt demolished is due to the fact that it protects the grove.

7. foo

Fred Bostock Legend lol he somehow managed to persuade the works welfare committee to agree to repairs to the Jetty lol what a man. Those were good times with all the numbered sections and the fortnightly competitions. There was also some very big fish caught every winter. They do not seem to get caught so often nowadays on there but that is maybe because no one seems to target the bigger fish so much.
    That would have been a difficult job (but not impossible of course) to fill the end of the jetty with the granite sea defence. Not so much filling it in but containing it would have been the problem. Cleveland potash did a study a few years ago and part of the plans were to pump concrete into the end and the pumphouse to make the structure more solid. That would be superb, you are bang on the money about the grove as well. If the jetty ever falls into the sea a heavy Northwesterly sea on top of big tides will flood the grove simple as that. We don't get them types of sea though do we :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :yes:

8. bobby

bobby Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Not a bad idea the fence then the scrap lads can concentrate on scrapping the fence instead of the jetty itself. :canadian:

9. foo

pmsl yep just like all the others

10. halibut man

halibut man Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

You hit the nail right on the head foo.And as regards FRED BOSTOCK he was one of the best and he dedicated a lot of his time for our pleasure.Sometimes i wish we still had those fortnightly comps they were great times.

11. kencoddy

kencoddy Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

have been thier lately now i know why it looks quite so bare of any metal what a shame can they leave nothing alone :crazy:

12. peter catchpole

peter catchpole Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

if you know whos stealing the metal ,name & shame them or report them to the i will do nothing law enforcement (police ) :whistle:

13. bobby

bobby Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Probably the same 2 guys i once saw walking along the path with a drum of diesel on each shoulder probably borrowed from corus skinningrove.

14. Mop The Hoople 2

Re : skinny comps,

The peg markings /position drawn made a difference sometimes & if i remember right you forefitted your peg
    if you decided to fish cattersy & along near the slip way.

Before the back wall fell, some pegs were on this side also.

The best peg for me was not in a compo but during a big n/w sea, at half tide of the flood you could fish the end
    & we had a couple to 4lb, fishing into the graveyard.

As the tide pushed us off the end ,the first point to fish (without the spray drenching you over the back wall)
    was the mooring bollard aka no 33 peg.
    You couldnt hold bottom in the bay with 7oz grapple after a hour & wed caught another two cod & plenty of bites.

In my bag i had two "timken "brgs for either Docs tractor or george ashbridge? & tried one on my trace.
    It was just a steady o/h thump, (i thought the rod would break) but i could hold bottom & caught another 2
    "twins" of 8lb plus, youd think theyd come out of the same mould.

Also this night was the first time i met Silver, with his corleen handline ,fishing near us he caught a couple on
    soukers & limpets, but the most amazing thing to witness was how he threw his end tackle out, lashed a hazel
    to the rail & placed a bell on the top holding his corleen line, whist talking to him, the hazel nodded & the bell
    rung !! & he got one about 6lb. happy days,as celo greene says "i rember when".

15. grovefisher

grovefisher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

The general rules of life, try to be polite to others and respectful of their views.

Your insulting comment has been removed

16. foo

Yes there certainly was some characters back in the day. Silver would go on the jetty catch a codling then off he went lol job done. Doc with his beach caster and Scarborough reel frightening everyone to death with the lead swinging round his head. It was actually Doc who introduced me to sea fishing full on after I had previously only dabbled at it. Spent many a happy hour or two round bearfleet and the goat with him and I don't think I can recall him ever blanking,It goes without saying of course that I blanked on a number of occasions lol. certainly knew how to read the conditions did super doc. He also was a great beleiver in the soukers and even tipped his lines with flithers.
    With reference to the graveyard, the sea defences have brought a lot of sand back (which was supposed to happen) and there is now a sandbank that runs from the jetty end at almost 90 degrees in front of the graveyard. It is a natural food trap on the inside and Ihave had some lovelly fish from there. The graveyard itself is also far less tackle hungry nowadays.

17. Mop The Hoople 2

Foo,
    Is it true that Docs old cobble was part of the bonfire this year ? Id made one of his prop shafts in the late 70,s.

Your right about his knowledge of b/fleet ,anchor hole, etc all provided fish for him.

Regarding him fishing the jetty, i only fished a couple of early morning tides for mackrael with him, hed just had his
    two big toes "pinned", to stop his feet becoming "webbed", this was due to him always wearing waders/wellies !!!

He had to wear jesus sandals, & on the way on he stubbed his toe ! & the pin came out, it was like a 6" nail.
    after pushingn it back in ,he just carried on to the end of the jetty to fish.

Regarding winter fishing, he was always spot on for the local marks & avoided the jetty like the plague.
    Does he still get about ?

18. foo

Yes mate he still gets about the scarrs. Doesn't do a great deal of rod fishing nowadays but can be found every half decent tide over the islands and the goat with his steel. He is a legend and as tough as old teak. I believe vicky H was indeed part of the bonfire, very sad day she was a superb sea boat but unfortunately old age overtook her.

19. Mike

Mike Blenny

I still have my card last date is 1989 :wink:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. foo

nice one Mike, I also can see the comps were monthly not fortnightly sorry my mistake