1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skinnigrove Today - Cheers Acko

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, May 2, 2009.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

After a tip off from one of the charter skippers we decided to go for our first jigging session of the year. We had been advised to fish Skinnigrove and so that's where we went.

A couple of the locals had also offered to show us the way so me and Mike paddled out of Skinnigrove around 9.30 and met up with Acko after a 20 minute paddle. Acko said he'd had a few fish already and pointed us in the right direction. Myself and Mike set up on drifts about 100 yards apart. As I watched Mike I noticed he was straight into a fish. Golden Balls had done it again and landed a nice plump codling within seconds of starting. After 30 minutes or so we were joined by the gruesome twosome Dan and Damo. We all worked the same drift for about 3 hours and Myself and Dan had the pleasure of watching Mike and Damo nail the fish. By around 1pm they had 5 or 6 nice codling each and a few other species thrown in. Myself and Dan had nothing. Then came a shout on the radio from Acko. "Get yourself up here Glenn, there's a few fish showing"

After a 15 minute paddle I found Acko and his band of merry men fishing to the north side of Skinnigrove. As soon as my gear hit the bottom I was in. A nice 2-3 pounder came to the yak. I dropped straight back down and bang, in again. This time it felt a better fish. As it came to the surface I noted it wasn't just 1 cod but 3. I managed to get 2 of them on the yak but the third fell off. By this time Mike Dan and Damo joined me and they managed a few more fish each too. In the next hour or so I managed 8 cod, 3 pouting and a Wrasse.

Absolutely shattered we paddled in about 4 pm. It was one of my best days on the yak to date and hopefully a sign of a good summer ahead. I think we all had a good day and had a few fish to show for our efforts.

So a big thankyou to those of you who told us to head north and also to Acko for doing what many wouldnt have and giving us a shout on the radio.

Also we met a few of the other forum members up there. Sage and his youngster were out but they stayed nearer the shore. Not sure how they got on ? Also we met Mike who managed a nice fish just as I passed him around lunch time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My Heaviest Fish weights were cod 4lb 12oz & 3lb 12oz

2. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

wel done you did better than us! Im still fishless :sad:

3. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Sounds like a good day boys :cool: looking forward to the pictures - a shame the winds getting up tomorrow

4. Acko

Acko Rockling

An Excellent Day It was great meeting up with you Guys
    I went out at 8am and dropped 3 Lobster Pots (The new ones from Onslow Paul) Cheers again lads. I came back in at 9 and had a chat with some of the Yakkin Lads, Nice Fellas and Then I picked up my Dad. Hes been poorly my old fella and hes a bit shaky on his Pins But It was great to get him out after a good few years.
    He did well the ole man He got 4 Cod 3 of his were the Biggest on the Boat around 5lbs. I couldnt seem to fall off I got plenty of fish And Lost as many again on the Lift.
    At 2pm I popped in and Picked up two other lads Gadjet from this site and Derek a workmate of Mine
    Gajet got a couple and So Did Derek they seemed happy enough My mate Glen was with me he got a couple.

I ended up with 15 Codling and A size Ling. Very fruitfull Day and Loads of Fun I came in at 6pm I was gonna check my pots But am Too Kna**red. Something for me to Do in the Morrow
    Heres my Haul...
    [​IMG]

5. Davo

Davo Rockling

Great stuff lads, well done :yes:

6. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

was a good day, well done lads

i ended up with 2 cod and a linglet but dropped a few off like :happy:

tightlines

7. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

on the way back in

[​IMG]

8. GJW

GJW Rockling

Well done top fishing lads... :cool: :cool:

9. smokey

smokey Rockling

Nice one lads,everyone seemed to get a share :cool: :happy: tight lines

10. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

well done everyone, one hell of a day for you all :yes:

11. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Cheers Mart, It was a strange day. Mike nailed them early on using Iain's wool muppets. We couldn't keep pace with him. Then when we moved all the fish seemed to go for the hokis. Damo seemed to do well on the black hoki's

12. smokey

smokey Rockling

It's often little details that work on a given day :wink: :happy: For instance Mustad Hokkais seem to fish better thab the competition,i remember one night jigging down the back of the brigg a few years ago,Derek Halifax was with me and had Mustad Hokkais on,i had my usual cheaper Hokkais,i think he had 18 fish to my one in about an hour an half,he got fast up and lost the trace and never got another fish that night. :happy: tight lines

13. Fishaman07

Fishaman07 New Member

Well done Guys,Top quality fishing there.... :wink:

14. Acko

Acko Rockling

Im Old School Me
    1lb Chrome jigger and an orange Muppet on a Big Trebble.

15. langy

langy Rockling

Well done lads sounds like a cracking day good stamp of fish aswell :D

16. Dav

Dav Rockling

Looks like yous had a great day out there boys , well done .....did yers drift with drouges glen .....

17. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Well done lads, lets hope it continues and hopefully we might get that scorching summer the met office keeps talking about.

18. SAGE

SAGE always trying...... some say very trying !!!!!

well it was a strange day for me and lee, managed to hook a few fish but never landed them ...all droped off about 3ft from surface,,, :sad: :sad: baited hokais were used ....so tried without bait still happened !!!!!! :sad: :sad: then lee needed to go to the toilet!!!!!! :angry: :angry: didnt dare let him take his pfd and dry suit while afloat....so had to paddle back to shore...only about half a mile back!!!!!!..so had a bite to eat while ashore paddled back out then set of drifting again but never had any fish by then lee said he was getting cold so went back in .....pleased the rest had a good day...and cheers glen for getting my bait

19. neil bugdol

neil bugdol Blenny

Well done on the fish guys, a lot better day than us at Runswick. If only I`d gone the extra couple of miles.

20. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Cracking fish them, well done to you all, definately a better stamp of fish than we had down at Flamboro. :happy: