1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

signal crayfish in the tees?

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by michael76, Nov 12, 2012.

1. michael76

michael76 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The BestEST

Alright guys.are there any signal crayfish on the tees? If so what's the best place,tactics to catching a few as I've always wanted to try them.any help would be appreciated,Hornsby area would be best for me.

2. GARP

GARP Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I've heard there are Signal crayfish in the Tees not sure which areas. As far as I'm aware you have to apply for a license/permission to trap them

3. michael76

Thanks mate,I meant thornaby area..I don't think you'd need a licence tho as there a pest to our native species.however if the authorities can make money from them they will.

4. bucko

bucko New Member

You need permission from the EA mate.
    They are very strict on the design of the traps so that they don't endanger native wildlife.

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/recreation/fishing/38045.aspx

5. michael76

Thanks bucko,have you ever tried them?

6. bucko

bucko New Member

Not ones caught by my own hand no- but they are very tasty.
    I think you would need to 'purge' them in clean water for a few days first though.

7. jimlad

jimlad Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I've never come across one and i fish the tees most weeks, but i have ben told reliably that they are around, particularly higher up

8. michael76

Thanks jimlad,just been reading you're blog pike on the tees its class mate nice looking beast.

9. jimlad

jimlad Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Cheers mate, appreciate the feedback

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

There are loads in the little beck that runs at the back of guisbrough high street, they are also in saltburn and skinningrove becks

11. Mop The Hoople 2

Mop The Hoople 2 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

skinningrove becks

Are they as far up as the "v dam" & ces shaws? or has the culvert prevented them

from getting up stream to the white bridge & sandy beach ? also .

12. mattiethomp

mattiethomp skinnygrove back alley shin kickers

The white bridge hasn't been white for 15years!! :evil: got washed away, replaced by a timber bridge that's about fubared think sandy beach bay is long gone as well

13. Mop The Hoople 2

Mop The Hoople 2 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

The white bridge hasn't been white for 15years!!

thanks for info, its over 25 yrs since ive had awalk up to cess shaws from the culvert.

plenty of wild brownies up to 1lb, big eels migrate up there later on & the odd silver if

they manages to pass the grove !

may have a walk/ fish down memory lane this spring.

14. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

Seen them at the mouth of the culvert. Sandy beach is still there but the bridge is in a sorry state now

15. mattiethomp

mattiethomp skinnygrove back alley shin kickers

Used to swim in the culvert, sandy bay n v dam back in the good old days wen I was a lad must ov been mad :evil: :ugly: :evil: last time down there walking the dog, sandy bay looked a shadow of its former self lol :cheesy:

16. bucko

bucko New Member

Bet Acko has already got his pan on the boil for them.

17. davy dunn

davy dunn New Member

theirs a bloke who has a lake breeds them as a result of escapees reservoirs like grasholm local rivers infested the twat who breeds them has roules b restaurant in covent garden got left a farm in lartington barnard castle