1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SIB fishing

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by robq, Mar 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. daveh

daveh Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I bought a Seapro 3.4m Airdeck new and a second hand Mercury 9.9hp 2 stroke last week. Can't wait to give It a spin once this weather improves. Who do you guys find best for insurance?

2. slawie

slawie Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

try newton crum you will get a good deal from them

3. daveh

Nice one, thanks...

4. robq

robq Rockling

I will 2nd newton crum :yes: £58 for boat and outboard fully comprehensive !!

I managed a launch yesterday when the fog lifted, unfortunatley the south wind kicked in big time half an hour later :angry:

had to come straight back in with a snotty following swell !! at least I know the setup can handle a bit of weather :cheesy:

5. hoyler

hoyler New Member

If anyone is thinking of buying a SIB then you won't go far wrong with this for the price. Ideal size boat (same as mine) with an airdeck and the lightest 9.8hp engine you could buy before the ban on two strokes.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EXCEL-SD330-WITH-TOHATSU-9-8-MOTOR-AND-TRANSOM-WHEELS-/330907573054?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4d0ba0db3e#ht_541wt_994

6. slawie

that does look a good bargain for someone il have to get my a--e into gear and fit my launching wheels off my old inflatable on to my new one that just reminded me when i looked at that ad

7. daveh

I got fully comp insurance for the year £50 from Newton Crumb.

8. Andyk22

Andyk22 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

hi all,

really interesting thread this, however the forst thing that popped into my thing when the words 'inflatable' and 'fiahing' are coupled together is 'hooks'?

how robust are these boats i.e. if a fish got off at the death (as often happens) how resilient are these types of boats to hooks and if the worst happens and you do get a puncture how do thwey perfom (do they have compartments so the whole thing doesnt go flat and you have a 'Titanic' moment)

Also, should your outboard go 'pop' is there somewhere to store oars / paddle etc to get you back to shore??

cheers all!

9. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

The sibs have at least 3 separate air compartments , some have 4 / 5 , if one of the 3 compartments loses pressure they are designed
    to still function on the other 2 , they are supplied with oars but I don't think they would be the easiest bit of kit to row a long distance
    a radio , mobile phone , flares etc would all be required , but then again if the outboard motor is correctly serviced and well looked after
    they are a reliable bit of kit , some of the manufactures giving 5 years warranty on new engines

10. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

andyk22
    you would be surprised how strong these inflatables are,
    i,ve never pricked one yet ,watch the salesman set about one with a claw hammer on youtube[sharp end].also they can run with a section deflated ,just sit on the opposite side and head in slowly if you do manage to have a section go down.
    every inflatable i have owned or seen has oars that clip onto the sides and they row quite well not that you want to be rowing in a six knot tide but they are there just in case and will get you back in .
    agree with the comments about the safety gear ,radio,flotation ,flares ect, all just in case but would not want to be caught out without any of them.

frank.

11. Solly

Solly Blenny

Just picked my sib up. I settled for a Zodiac 3.4 with a Mariner 9.9. I'm now looking for gps fishfinders and all the safety gear. Just can't wait to have a go. Will post some picks soon.

12. daveh

I'm off to Morcombe Bay on Saturday for my frst shake down trip. A bit of drift fishing for the plaice is the plan.

13. MikeR

MikeR Blenny

Great thread and very interested.
    Would love to see some photos of setups - how much gear etc you take out.

Cheers

14. robq

robq Rockling

I have some pics I took last week Mike in the garden, I will try and post them up tomorrow if I get time.

Solly I went for the lowrance X4 dual beam fishfinder, Its an updated version of what I had on the kayak and that was fine :yes: good value at around £90

I have some pics of the setup that I will try and post up too. basically I have made a mount from marine plywood that slides over the transom, with the transducer mounted so its level with the bottom of the hull, the head unit is fixed to the top of the mount and there is a battery box fitted to the inboard side. Its all self contained with nothing permanently fixed to the boat. Ive used it 3 times now and it works great :yes:

I have a handheld garmin gps map 60 csx mounted to the wooden seat with a marine mount.

15. Solly

Solly Blenny

Thanks Rob just spent all day sorting a stand out for the outboard for the garage first aid kit tools etc. I had the same idea about the transponder but would love to see your pictures of how you assembled it.
    Will look at the gps and fishfinders. Flares and VHF arrive tomorrow. Just need to sort insurance then I'm out. I'm looking to have a go over the weekend.

16. slawie

where are you thinking of launching

17. Solly

Solly Blenny

SIB fishing

I've just had a look at south landing which looks good. I'm eating for my flares and insurance cert. if they come in time I might go to Hornsea. Here's a picture of my SIB
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hope the photos come out ok I've never used taps talk before

18. bigbob1

bigbob1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Nice that Paul if we get enough of us matches maybe :embarrass:

19. daveh

Good looking set up you have there mate.. :yes:

20. Solly

Solly Blenny

Thanks for the replies. That sounds good to me graham. Once i feel confident in handling it i'll be ready for a match or two.I was coming to see you but got totally engrossed in setting it up.
    Where else can you launch from Brid. Looked at the council compound at the south end but looks quite steep. Can you use the old ramp where the park and ride is now.
    Forgot to say insured the boat fully comp with Newton Crum £62.