1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SIB fishing

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by robq, Mar 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. ijakk

ijakk Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

What minimum hp engine would you say for 3.2m sib and is it best to buy new or risk a secondhand outboard ?

2. robq

robq Rockling

Most 3.2 SIBs have a rating of 10 to 15hp

If you check the manufactures specs it will tell you the max weight/HP

I have the max rated 10hp on my yam 300s which will push it along at 20+mph in good conditions :yes: Not sure about with 2 on board but most of my fishing will be just me on board so more than happy with that.

I decided to buy new just for peace of mind and a 5 year warranty :yes: there dont seem to be many 2nd hand outboard bargains out there as they seem to hold their value.

3. ijakk

Cheers mate I was think more along the lines of the minimum hp engine that would be sensible to use in saltwater with an inflatable that size, there is a hell of a difference in price between a 6 hp and a 10hp but is a 6hp enough ?

Rich

4. Solly

Solly Blenny

Been fishing at fraisthorpe today and there is a sign at the gate saying no launching. Asked they guy at the hut and he said they had stopped people launching due to too many having to be dragged out by their tractor.

5. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

bear in mind what speed you want ,
    going fast can throw your gear all over if the seas a bit lumpy so you have to slow down anyway but take all your gear out and zip about for a bit of fun and your looking at a bigger size engine.
    i recommend you first work out your boat size then look on youtube ,on there is masses of boats with all manner of engine sizes on and you can gauge from what you see.
    you will see boats 3 mtrs and bigger with 6/8hp outboards getting up on the plane and reaching a fair speed ,
    weight is another consideration ,6hp are manageable on your own but get up to ten and theres some weight involved.
    watch this for a 6hp on a 3.3mtr on youtube.

YAMAHA 6HP ON TORBAY SEA 25 06 09 2009 06 25 21 27 31
    Kevin Tidborough·10 videos

thats bad news for fraisethorpe solly just have to launch elsewhere when up that end but a shame non the less.

frank.

6. GJW

GJW Rockling

Going join the SIB crew... Thanks for the PM Rob. :happy:

7. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

just sent Frank some numbers

8. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Do you carry any sort of bilge pump / bailer on these little sib's ? Will spray or chop not cause some water collection...or do they self bail somehow ?

9. ijakk

Many thanks frank, one more question is there any advantage fuel consumption wise with a smaller engine ?

Cheers

Rich

10. hoyler

hoyler New Member

SIB fishing

I carry a little manual bilge pump, a bit like a stirrup pump. My boat has a drain valve on the stern but it doesn't work very well. You're right about the spray, it does build up a bit and you need to bail every so often.

11. robq

robq Rockling

I had a 5hp honda on mine last year frank but it just didnt quite have enough poke to get over the hump and onto the plane :sad:

maybe with a bit of messing with tube pressures and weight distribution it might have done ?

I know what you mean about getting chucked about at speed though :surprise: it only needs a bit of short chop to get them slamming and banging !! I need to sort some anchor points so i can strap down my fuel tank and crate :yes:

I just fancied the 10hp so that if its one of those rare days of high pressure and no wind I can get a bit further afeild if I fancy it, It also a right good laugh wizzing around on the plane in a little boat :cheesy:

12. ijakk

Hi, rob I guess from the sound of it you managed fine witha 5hp when you had one, I'm keen to get a sib but I'm on a budget I just don't want to be under gunned but a 5 or 6hp sounds like it could be the way for me, in fairness my sib will probably spend more time on the tees than the sea.

Cheers

Rich

13. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

just found this for anyone wanting to see how they would get on with owning a SIB

http://www.boats2go.net/boat-hire.php

cheap hire of a few models per week. ideal to see if its your cup of tea or not before emptying your wallet

14. slawie

slawie Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

hi ijakk a mate of mine uses a 5 horse with a 3.2 and it pushes two people along in it fine and with one in it goes on the plain and goes realy well i have a 10 horse for my 3.2 but dont know how it goes yet as i havnt tried it i also have a 2 horse that i will use for inshore and that should be ok but i just cant wait to get out when the weather gets better

15. frank avey

dave they self bail,
    they have a bung at the back that you can pull and its the forward movement that emptys them, that said they dont get much in them when the seas calm which is when most users go out in them ,i have never had to bail any of mine i,ve owned and been in some decent seas ,always have all my gear in dry bags or boxes ,ie flares phone ect.
    a limited amount of water can be carried under the floor without sloshing round your feet,they are made to work like that,just pull the bung when you get ashore and the water runs out or give it a blast on the water with the bung out to clear it.

ijakk

a 5/6hp four stroke will give you hours on 5ltrs ,a single cylinder one even more .
    the speed you can get with these is on the youtube video i posted earlier [just copy and paste it into your youtube bar]and that was with a bloke and two kids on board,he was fair moving.
    the trick with smaller engines is get some weight up the front of the boat or the back digs in .

frank

16. frank avey

if this is of any interest to anyone ,
    this is how i stopped my tank moving about in the boat.
    just a simple strap fixed through two small slots in the wooden floor ,run a strap under the board and over the tank and clasp together with either a clip like on your bib n brace or a small ratchet ,this is left in when your boat is packed away minus the tank.
    works great and no more tank thrown about.
    airdeck floors would have to be fixed to the transom obviously.

[​IMG]

17. ijakk

Thanks frank and Slawie can't wait to start spending some money.

Cheers

Rich

18. robq

robq Rockling

ijack I am sure the 5hp would do you just fine :yes: although a 6 would be better and there are plenty of clips on youtube of 3m sibs planing with a 6hp

I got 7mph with mine but just not enough to get over the hump that builds just before it pops over it onto the plane.

I just wanted that extra speed and range so that I can run from filey down to bempton or from hornsea to the tope grounds quickly.

Its addictive though and if our lass knew what i spent so far I would be divorced LOL

19. robq

robq Rockling

found this little youtube clip of the sort of fishing I used to do from the yak with ultralight tackle and just what I aim to spend a good bit of time doing :yes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urAXg9Z2I4g

20. ijakk

It would be interesting to see a few pics of how you guys have your sibs rigged up for fishin if you have any.

Many thanks

Rich