1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SIB fishing

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by robq, Mar 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. robq

robq Rockling

After 5 years of kayak fishing as a wannabe boat angler !!

I have sold my last kayak :sad:

I loved the exercise and peace,quiet and solitude of the yak BUT I became increasingly frustrated with the weather / tide limitations and found myself launching less than I would have liked :whatever: :whatever:

I cannot justify having a 16 - 18ft fast fisher sat in a compound with all the expenses attached :ugly: launch £20, fuel £60 just for the day !! plus with my shift pattern I would often struggle to get the crew needed. I also founf full days a struggle in the yak with my bad back and like to be able to stretch my legs and have a pee in comfort :embarrass:

I think I may have found the ideal compromise :happy:

A 3mtr SIB ( soft inflatable boat ) coupled with a 10hp outboard. These boats can take a good bit of sea and are pretty safe when you look at you tube clips of IRB rescues !!

capable of 15 + mph with great MPG, fits in the back of the car and garage, takes 15 mins to set up to launch and can be launched single handed with launch wheels. I will fish more or less the same grounds as the yak but able to do so in conditions that are borderline for the yak.

I have fitted rod holders, fishfinder, GPS and have all the safety kit from my yak I.E drysuit, flares, compass, drogue, anchor etc, etc.

I plan to launch at south landing, filey and scarbro with maybe a few holderness launches, mainly light line lure fishing for pollack and bass :happy:

Has anyone else had a go locally ??

Rob

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I know what you mean about the weather Rob, its a pain in the bum. Last year we hardly got out till August.

3. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

Re: SIB fishing

Aye it gets you down when you can't get out. I'm just glad I have all my other types of fishing to fall back on.

Good luck with the new venture rob

Sent from my GT-i9300 using Tapatalk 2

4. robq

robq Rockling

Glenn that was one of reasons why I finally made the decision to sell my yak, despite having had some amazing sessions, catches, experiences and memories :happy:

I love the inshore light tackle fishing for bass, pollack and even the codling on the right gear :yes: I just want to be able to do more of it on my limited days off :yes:

Its given me a renewed enthusiasm for my fishing again, along with my 2nd year at the LRF/HRF I cant wait for winter to f**k off now :whatever:

5. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

no mention of insurance rob you are going to need it with having a engine on the back

6. robq

robq Rockling

already got a few qoutes Alain :yes: £70 odd is the cheapest up to now

any recomendations for good companies ? Porthcawl the best up to now

7. hoyler

hoyler New Member

8. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

been with them since 2001 Rob

9. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Yeah I can fully understand that. Some years can be torture. You wait and wait and wait and even when they forecast good weather it never seems right. Difficult when you have work and a family to look after as well.

10. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Look forward to seeing you out an about Rob. It really does sound and ideal platform to target a lot of our species, you'll be out to the tope grounds in no time with cheap easy launching from Tunstall etc.

Can always find you guys a kayak to borrow if you fancy any of the matches Rob, very aware that it was you that really wetted my appetite for kayak fishing :happy:

Ken

11. slawie

slawie Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

hi i insure my inflatable with newton crum its by far the cheapest i could find and its the best cover i could find as well it only cost me £34 and thats with £5 million liability and boat and outboard and equipment covered cant beat it hope this is a help to you

12. pro angler

pro angler Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Think you find porthcawl hard to beat. They seem a good company.

13. slawie

i was with porthcawl before i went with newton crum and porthcawl couldnt offer anything near the cover i got for the money but i suppose it depends on what your insuring and where its kept etc

14. congerball

congerball Blenny

I've got a SIB set-up....Avon 3.2mtr with a 9.9 mariner...had 22knots on GPS readout. Love the way I can get out quick, good for messing/playing about on too. They're great for towing Tope baits out too :yes:

15. Roger Melly

Roger Melly Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Very interesting thread.... I would really like to see one of these sib"s set up for fishing, Not having anywhere to keep a boat, and not wanting to pay to keep one in a compound, it sounds an ideal and economical way to be able to get out on the marks usually reserved for yakkers.
    May just get one , once I have sussed out where to store it when deflated.

Roger

16. slawie

they fold down quite small i have a yam 3.2i and a honda 10 horse outboard the inflatable is about 4ft long by 2ft wide aprox when folded so it dosnt take up much room its deffinately less room than a kayak takes up

17. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

if you go for one mr melly get one with an inflatable floor ,they are high pressure and nearly as firm as a wooden or ali floor but without the weight and no floor to put in the car ,just roll up with the rest of your boat ,
    i had wood floor before i got the new one with the inflatable floor ,no going back now.
    no more fitting the floor in or finding somewhere for the wooden floor sections to go in the car.

frank.

18. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

rob ,
    read your post on scotland with dave with the kayaks,
    love that area up there, thats the ground for the inflatables ,sheltered water ,stacks of free launch sites ,deep water close in and loads of species to go for .
    mine will be up there this year.

frank.

19. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

If I get my arse into gear Frank...we are planning a trip back up North for next year but with the Yorkshire pebble this time. It might be it's only trip as after that trip I m planning on a house move and a boat for sale ......unfortunatrely...I hope we get at least the one good trip out of her before the move :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

20. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

have a look on the auction site Bison do a full range of gear for SIBS Frank get yourself up to the Drummore tope festival 13th & 14th of july