1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sib Fishing - A Lazy Mans Kayak ???

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Jun 19, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Oh dont talk about the curse of every angler in the world. "The Urge To Move", this is a factor in all forms of sea fishing. For newbies and those not confident in thier own knowledge this is indeed a curse. Worse case I ever saw in A shore Angler was Paul Kilpatrick. Once saw him go up and down Hawsker 3 times without even wetting a line.

2. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I usually suffer from the opposite, no bites when I think I should be getting them, then spend too long thinking about moving but with that niggling thought in the back of my mind ,"If I move now I bet they will come on."....then it's too late to move. ! :laugh:

3. Solly

Solly Blenny

Now then Dave. It is very frustrating not been home and seeing all these great reports. I get your point about the trolling as stealth is required for better results. I take nothing away from the kayaking it looks fantastic but we all have our personal reasons. I too would be boating but my job at the moment has had me away quite a lot this year and the work load is increasing.
    I've been home a week now and had four days fishing while the weather has been kind to us.

4. Baramundi Bob

Dont move, Its a curse ive seen people flapping like mad thinking they should be somewhere else, by the end of your session youve spent more time moving than fishing and you havent given 100% to catching fish. Only move if your 100% certain youve got it wrong. Dennis Thomson told me that years ago. If your in the right spot and your confident you have it right then you will catch. If your in the right spot and not catching then its very likely no-one else is either. I learnt to stick things out in the end, always the best option.

5. robq

robq Rockling

There is absolutely no question that the kayaks are a lot more stealthy craft to fish from :yes:

I have outfished boats of all sizes on the inshore landrock on my kayak on most occasions :yes:

Trolling for pollack and bass is so much quieter and and its easier to control troll speed, for drift fishing and jigging in 40ft and less the kayak casts a lot smaller shadow, creates less noise and therefore on most occasions produces more fish :wink:

However !! that said I am still really enjoying my SIB and the extra flexibilty it gives me :yes:

Not as stealthy as a yak but a nice soft boat wont bang and knock so loudly when moving about, so hopefully will still fish ok in shallow water :yes:

I have also got loads of co-ords of wrecks a few miles off that just wernt doable in the yak but are now an easy hit in in good conditions :happy: hopefully start putting a better stamp of fish aboard when the weathers right :whatever:

6. ijakk

ijakk Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Is the stay put fisherman just a lazy mobile fisherman ? :tease:

7. bulltrout

bulltrout Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I'm seriously thinking of investing in a sib but need to do more research Into it any lads on here can tell me of any web sites or even shops where I could have a look and find out more before I decide to buy. not getting rid of the yak tho like that to much but I think it would open up some more fishing marks for me to explore that im never gonna get to on my kayak

8. Baramundi Bob

Whitby Angling Supplies added them to their site today. i aim to do some research and writing for this site soon.

9. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

I am not so sure the noise of an engine would actually spook sea fish unless they are particularly nervous or hook shy ? After all how many of you bass anglers have caught bass literally as you are about to lift the lure out of the water when chest deep. I know you are not making a noise but you are an alien presence in the fishy domain that is not usually present. Just my opinion and without doubt fish do have the ability to sense boats, whether they have the intelligence to associate the sound of an outboard motor with a fisherman or woman intent on their capture is open to speculation.

10. robq

robq Rockling

Bulltrout there are several lengths of SIB that may suit whatever you want to do

I bought mine for solo fishing as thats what i do most of the time due to my shifts. Thats why I went for a 3.2 :yes: its more than big enough for me and all my gear, its light enough to launch from a beach single handed and it will plane easily with a 10hp motor :yes: :yes:

If you wanted something for fishing with a mate or two then you are really looking at 3.6 to 4.2m. This might not sound much bigger but these craft are a lot bigger and heavier so you will be looking at 15 to 25hp to get it on the plane :surprise: these motors are a lot heavier and burn more fuel than the smaller motors.

ribnet have a SIb section and there is some great info on there that helped me a lot, although not much about fishing !!

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/

I bought a prowave aerodeck sport 3.2 as my 2nd SIb and have to say its amazing value for money and very well made. the airdeck once covered in lino is great and quick and easy to setup :yes: check their boats out :wink:

http://www.prowaveinflatables.com/

11. bulltrout

bulltrout Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

thanks for the info robq will have a look at the sites cheers

12. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

How many of the SIB lads have practiced solo rescues and re-entry to the SIB....afterall fishing solo in a small boat that in some cases can push along at a fair old rate of knots must be a risk of hitting a swell and getting flipped out. I know the kill switch wrist cable will kill the motor, but with back problems etc etc can you get back in ? Have you tried ? :wink: :wink:

13. Solly

Solly Blenny

Dave the answer to your question is no. It's no excuse but unless I purchase a dry suit I don't fancy trying at the moment. My sib has crab handles all round and roped, which would give you some help. In defence I will always be going with someone. The risk is always there but greater for the kayak. My offshore survival takes you through pulling people into life rafts not that it's the same.
    Not sure where you could get a specific course for this but for my own benefit I'm quite happy if the wife fell in I would only put my foot on her head!!
    It's a good point you raised but my back problem only arises when being sat for too long so no problems physically really.
    One question I would like to ask is how many kayakers boat owners/users are able to swim. It's surprising when you speak to people doing your offshore survival how many can't swim.
    I would do a pole if I new how to just out of curiosity.

14. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Thanks for being honest Paul, my post was to maybe provoke some debate on the subject....after all there is the regular topic of, as you point out kayak risks etc. It does sometimes cause a little jaw dropping for me when I see the pictures of small boat users, wearing no safety kit at all, sat miles offshore or leaning over the side to net a fish wearing ocean chest waders ! Just one of the things I ve seen regularly on some boat reports. Even with a crew member I wonder how they would fare if they did fall overboard ? Lifting a grown man plus waders full of water.

In such a small boat as a sib should you not also be dressing for possible immersion ? I ve seen Rob on his SIB and know he is wearing the same kit as on his kayak, maybe having been on the kayak he is more aware of the safety issue ? Rob your view ?

Yet sometimes the kayak anglers are given what seems a hard time......just goes to show not all leisure craft users are that safety conscious !.......I do hope your wife doesn't read this thread :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

15. Solly

Solly Blenny

Dave honesty costs nothing. I take on board what you say as all good advice. I know rob uses his dry suit from previous conversations. I'm looking into it for both me and the wife. What I did not want to do was buy her a dry suit for her to say I don't like it. She's never been on a boat before so when we went to Ruswick I stayed close in for her comfort.
    I have based my sib on everything you kayak lads use so everything is to hand in a confined space. I still need to do some tweaks hear and there.
    I use my thigh waders which are loose fitting and been a strong swimmer and qualified life guard I'm comfortable that with a life vest on I can remove my waders quickly if need be.
    There is a lot of learning to do for myself still but it's thanks to the kayak anglers that I have gleaned so much information from so far.

16. paul_sheff

paul_sheff Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Some interesting reading to be had on those 2 sites . Run the idea past my wife and she doesn't seem to have a problem with us getting 1 . But I got to see 1 in action and be confident our son would be safe lol . Like I would risk going to sea if conditions weren't right .
    Anyway , I'll keep my eyes out for sib reports and maybe I'll see some of you guys round and about thorn wick and flamborough

17. foo

That is a very good question and it is also impractical imo because the vast majority of users do not have the same survival/immersion suits as the vast majority of serious well prepared kayakers (you were hoping for a debate Dave) As has already been explained by several SIB users they use the craft because they are maybe not as agile as they were once and some of them suffer from ill health, bad backs etc. I would say it would be far more difficult for the less able to re-enter a SIB once fallen overboard. I also would like to think it is a whole different scenario than having to re mount a yak which is far more likely to be a necessity, again just my opinion. Completely agree some form of life preserver, pfd etc as well as suitable flares, v.h.f are total necessities but don't believe the ability to re enter a SIB is quite as high on the agenda.. Lastly just how far do you go down this re entry scenario and up to what size boats ? I know for a total and complete fact re entry into a 21ft clinker built double ender in mid July 800 yds from the beach is impossible unaided !

18. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Some good points FOO....Totally agree with the point where do you stop with regards size of vessle, but keeping to the SIB's, having had a ride in one, albeit a short ride, I was very aware of how vulnerable you feel sitting on the side tubes, which seems the usual position. Like you say remounting maybe isn't as high on the agenda , but if not confident or capable of remounting, then you have to dress for an extended period in the water surely ?

I only got tipped off my kayak once which was due to operator error and inexperience, but my dry suit pfd and self rescue meant it was no drama......hopefully no SIB user will get tipped, but the wearing of the kill switch lanyard goes someway to suggest it could happen.

Any other SIB users got any thoughts ? for or against self rescue, immersion gear ?

19. cps

cps Rockling

don't think getting back in will be a problem probably a lot easer than a yak, I have just sold a Avon sea rider rib 4m and could get back in that with my dive bottle and weight belt still on without those and even no fins it was a breeze almost just rolled back in
    its a bit more of a challenge with a warrior 165 or Alaska 500 without a ladder but it can still be done using the engine as a step to get in
    obviously being a decent swimmer will help

20. foo

Not disputing this for a minute cps, BUT, how many sib fisherfolk would have the benefit of a wetsuit to provide insulation from the cold water ? The natural action of the muscles is to spasm when suddenly immersed in the north sea without protection and very quickly it becomes impossible to move ones arms and legs. I know this because I have been in just such a situation.