1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shrimps for livebait.

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Ramsrod, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

[​IMG]

Decided I wanted to go out and get soaking wet last night, so I went crabbing. It was,nt a very good ebb and crabs were fairly scarce. As I,d took my badminton racket/onion bag shrimp net I at least managed to nab quite a few shrimps, some of which were beaut,s. My hands are about 4" wide so they,re more like prawns really. They are keeping really well in my tank, the only danger is, they,re so wick, they,re almost jumping out when I put my hand in :eek:

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Is that pic through a microscope Ray ? ;D ;D

Lets hope they tempt a nice bass or 2.

Hopefully the ebb will be better today. Bloody low pressure ruins your crabbing ventures doesn't it.

3. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Rubbish ebbs, hopefully it will go a bit further today with the wind switching to
    S. - SE.

4. robq

robq Rockling

:eek: :eek:

They are proper uns !!

I dont think that they would last very long in my house, wheres the saucepan Mmmmmmm

5. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

was gonna say that rob, get them boiled up ray, bit of mary rose sauce, job done ;D ;D

6. Baramundi Bob

Acko wouldn't even boil em

7. Acko

Acko Rockling

Theyre beauties
    Id eat em and use smaller ones as Bait I think? I probably would boil them tho Glenn. Mind if you put them on a hot rock next to a fire they do cook.

8. Dav

Dav Rockling

more like bloody prawns them ramrodder...wats ure plan for them ,,,,fish wise ...bass ...?everytime i get cod from runswick they always seem to be stuffed with them ,,, did try frozen ones back end of last season , for cod ,

9. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Bass hopefully but it,s probably wishful thinking.

10. robq

robq Rockling

One of those fished under a small pike float from the yak in 10ft or so of clear water, over some nice bassy ground, bet it would be nobbled in minutes !!
    Have you got yourself a livebait bucket/aerator pump sorted yet Ray ?

11. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Lets hope so Rob :)
    Re livebait bucket, Iv,e been looking at them Rob but it,s getting to the stage where I,ll need Yak to carry my yak so i,m just going to put them in a net and drop them over the side while fishing. I think I,m at my maximum now as regards cargo. :p

12. Dav

Dav Rockling

Ray how did you get on with the shrimps/prawns. , come across a few of a similar stamp whilst crabbing , and thought of this topic . and if you ever did do any good with em ?
    under the water and rocks they glowed red and once light hit em they turned clear , is the natural colour of shrimps on our coast red ? or do you think it was just an illusion ......cheers

13. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Soz Dav, dont want to take the thread away from your original questions, ive been wanting to ask this question for a while. As i kid I remember having a wooden handled shrimp net we use to push along in the shallows on the beaches which trapped loads of shrimps and small flatties ect. Can you still get them and they any good for sandeels and other baits?

14. Dav

Dav Rockling

No problem ken , i would of thought maybe e bay or summit or do as ray did and knock one up for ure sell, and yes they will work not to sure about sandeels tho , but at a guess yes,
    The shripms i was talking about are that big they have no need to burry them selves and hide , they just stand there staring you out ,with all the muscles bulging , daring you to pick em up lol...... :cheesy:

15. mouldybits

mouldybits New Member

cant beat em for bait,float fished under a bubble float in the surf :wink:

16. Dav

Dav Rockling

Have you had much luck with them fishing them as you say ? cheers

17. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

I ended up taking Robs advice and ate them Dav :embarrass: Going to have another go this year with a bubble float as reccomended, failing that maybe a bit of garlic :hungry:

18. Baramundi Bob

Youll never digest on of them bubble floats Ray.

19. mouldybits

mouldybits New Member

lol yes it works,although you may think i'm mad i took it as sound advice from a guy on the south coast i know who told me to 'try it!' bigger are better he said and hook them in the third segment from the tail. i've been told timea after time from folk that it'll never work as the float will wash ashore all the time,but they dont understand that you gotta stand around waist deep and keep the hook snood just short enough so's the prawn doesnt get chance to bury in the sand and only let enough line out to fish the depth great fun on 8-12lb line and spinning rods (9-11ft) all's you need is a trap or a pushnet,getting our lasses dad to make me a new one from stainless,and the ones i dont use i'll eat....prawns that is glenn not stainless frames lol :laugh:
    cheers
    phil.

20. warrior

warrior New Member

my mate seaspay was fishin from his warrior under bempton .with perks gerin nowt. put a shrimp on his treble hooks still flickin about fish strait away. brill bait on a perk.