1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should Image Editing Software Be Banned In The Photo Comp

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by smokey, Sep 30, 2009.

1. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

I've been doing a bit of reading on HDR, would love to have a go but first I need a tripod and secondly I need a camera that will take raw images

2. smokey

smokey Rockling

Good reply Kev :wink: :happy: The reason i used your pic as an example was ,firstly it was the first one i came across and secondly,having very little interest or knowledge of getting pics to your level,i am telling it how the "layman" on here see's that sort of pic,when you have no knowledge of photography,it immediately looks false.Like i said Kev,it's a great picture as most of yours are,keep posting them and will try to criticise them all in some way :whistle: :butt: :wink: :happy: tight lines

3. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

All of the pics I posted this month were taken without a tripod, they were processed single .raw images. It does look better with a range of exposures though, but a tripod isn't always practical. Unfortunately mate .raw format is essential, I mean, you can use .jpeg but it doesn't look too good in my opinion, it's already been processed once and the fine detail and quality has been lost :yes:

4. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

It s fnny abot what yo say about planning a shot and then it going all awry. A short while ago after first moving here to Hornsea) I had got it into my mind that I wold be p for dawn and captre the sea front at snrise.....well one morning I couldn t sleep properly and was up around 03.30 so that was it rather than toss and turn in bed I grabbed the camera and bag and off I went down to the sea front.....the two minte drive clearing my head.
    When I GOT THERE LIGHT WAS JST BREAKING, BT A BAND OF LOW CLOD KILLED THE SNRISE.....BT WHAT A MORNING.....A DESERTED BEACH WITH A COOL BREEZE BLOWING,THEN THE POTTERS LANCHING FROM STH SLIP....sorry pc playing p ....toast crumbs nder keys...lol........I ended up with very little of worth out of a couple of hundred shots.......but what a morning and the rest of the day was superb just because the sights and sounds and smells down on the sea front had set me up for the day. :happy:

5. Pint

Pint FluffChuckers Rule

With many SLR cameras on the market nowadays, they take photo's in RAW mode as the camera sees it. Exposure, Blacks, Brighness and Contrast are taken as seen. Photoshop is then used to adjust these settings rather than using the built in camera settings to do this for you. I can see where many people are coming from saying photos have been "Photoshopped" to make them look un-natural but this is no different to messing with these settings built into the cameras - if you know what your doing.

I have an SLR and also 2 compacts, the Reighton Sunrise photos that won the competition earlier in the year were taken with the compact in jpg, they weren't modified in any way except resizing, so I think this proves that you don't need photoshop to provide good photos.

I think moving to catch reports and photos of them will limit entries for people, those who don't fish winter or live away will have issues getting entries in, whereas now they can take a walk along the beach, cliffs and take photos of anything sea or fishing related.

Whatever is decided , I will go along wih the decision.

6. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Fair point there Pint. Although Daves idea is a good one I feel we would loose out on quite a bit if the competition was about best report. I like to see the various pictures which include shots of whales, dolphins, mountains, sunsets and sometimes fish. It just remoinds me of all the things that make our hobbie what it is.