1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should Image Editing Software Be Banned In The Photo Comp

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by smokey, Sep 30, 2009.

1. langy

langy Rockling

Yeah but people have an advantage with all of these ' expensive ' cameras and photoshop
    and some people only have a mobile camera which is a disadvantage !!

2. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

You can see the problem Langy if only mobile phone pics or cheap cameras only were allowed. The comp is really a bit of fun, whats interesting to me prsonally is the content of the picture not the quality. As I said earlier this is primarily a fishing site. The quality needs to be good to win the comp, it's true, but I,d prefer people to post pics as a way of making a post more interesting rather than trying to win each months comp. I wouldn't get too hung up about it it's only light hearted.

3. langy

langy Rockling

Agree with ray on this :yes: i like to see a picture which has a tale to it not these fancy pictures which have been extremely edited :no:

4. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

What you'll find is that if a photo is of something good, the quality will rarely matter. Look back over the previous few comps. Some photos of awful quality have gone close to winning, and some of the winners haven't exactly been good quality wise, the one of mine that won was taken on a 4mp camera. Doesn't that say something, that before I started entering HDR images I won the comp, but since I haven't??

I style the photos like that because I think they look different and interesting. They stand out. Some people like it and some don't, but the votes always reflect the people's choice which is important. Winning isn't important to me, and in future I won't enter any images into the comp. I'll put some on this board from time to time and the link to my Flickr account is in my signature.

5. GJW

GJW Rockling

No Kev, you still should post your pics into the comp, you do produce some great photo's and i really enjoy seeing them, like you said if people dont like them they wont vote for them....Like you rightly said and like you i have won a few useing my point and shoot camera and havent won anything with my DSLR, so just show's that its not all about expensive camera's and editing, but there is nothing wrong with doing it but content will always rule on a fishing forum rather than qaulity.

6. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Since posting my views it's been interesting reading the opinions of everyone and in someways I'm a bit torn now.........is it fair that some can alter the pictures ? Well I suppose is it fair that some anglers have better bait in matches....but we still compete against them !

My reason for suggesting the change in the comp format is that without doubt there has been a drop in the interest of the photo comp, as lighthearted a bit of fun it is I feel that it should get more attention.How many times have the membership had to be asked to submit a vote ? More than once recently.

Now the photos with the best content usually have a story behind them, any of the keener amatuer photographers amongst us can go out with our dslr cameras and gadgets and spend a day filling memory cards of pretty landscape/sunrise/sunset shots but they don't tell a story only a snapshot of time....but the photo's of the fishing action shots or the hard fought pb bass or the hard to reach venues or the comedy moments, all have a story worthy of reading.....Personally I would enjoy reading about how that great picture came to be taken where was it how did the trip go etc etc........and then each report with pictures is copied across to the report comp thread at the end of the month and voted on same as the pictures.
    For me that style of comp would open up the chance of winning to far more people than just the photographers on here and as such editing software wouldn t matter because you can't edit the day you've had........if you could I'd be winning every match I entered.

Having moderated the photo comp before I always keep an eye on who is putting the pictures up and it is a hardcore few who regularly do and the standard of photo is a very high standard to live with, perhaps a change to a more generally accessable contest is the way forward with little to do to change the format ?

7. Maxie

Maxie New Member

:nerd: i wouldve thought the best way to finish the photo comp would be to start banning stuff,its only a £20 tackle voucher which i think ive won once ! and even now i dont know if i got it or not cos i ordered some more stuff off them.
    It wouldnt be so bad if supersonic was winning it every month but he isnt,its all about being in the right place at the right time,some of the pics i thought would win finish nowhere so remember not everyone likes the same thing.
    I had some great sunset pics as well last month but they are barred as well :laugh:

8. Supersonic

lol I was gonna raise this point Dave, there's an infinate amount of gripes we could have. Lets face it, the playing field is never fair in anything ever. I'm sure that I could moan about the proposed new format on the grounds that I live inland so can't fish as often, so can't submit as many reports, so would in theory have a less chance of winning. :canadian: :nerd:

At the end of the day I like the idea of a competition on the site and it is supposed to be light hearted fun as previously mentioned. I like your idea Dave, anything that encourages more reports is a good idea as we don't get as many as we should and everyone loves reading them, especially when they're accompanied by some good pics :happy: The only real problem that I can see is that it takes a lot longer to read a good report than it does to look at a good photo, so maybe the voter turnout would be low. Lets face it, a very high proportion of members can't even be arsed to vote in a competition which takes 10 seconds to assess the entries, so what chance would we have?

9. boomphat

boomphat Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I've never used photoshop, mainly because I'm not very computer savvy, it seems like cheating somehow, as opposed to taking "the perfect photo" in the first place.
    Some 'shopped pics look decidedly unreal anyway.
    Straight horizons is my problem, more noticable with water than anything else. I have deleted loads of my pics because the horizon is wrong, when I know I could have 'shopped it better. I just try and take several versions of each shot, deleting the worst.
    Interesting debate though!

10. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

If your camera has a view finder use the reference marks or corners of the viewfinder to line up your horizon.It is usually just a case of not looking at what you are taking,ie. you look at the main subject but don't scan around the full frame,just like finding telegraph wires or signposts that you didn t see when you pressed the shutter. Just take a few extra seconds to compose the shot. Failing that if you use Picasa then there is a free rotate feature that allows you to straighten and then crop your sloping horizons.

11. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I must admit to being crap with horizons. Must make more effort.

12. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

professional photographers will very rarely use a photo these days that hasnt had a visit to doctors,.........................does an angler with the best rod and reel catch the most fish? :wink:

13. smokey

smokey Rockling

Kev,you've got to keep posting your pics on here,they are top quality :wink: :happy: :happy: The reason i agreed with Big Cliffs origional post was i find there is a hell of a lot of pictures with unobtainable skies,no other reason,it's clear they have been enhanced :yes: tight lines :happy:

14. Baramundi Bob

Can you give us some examples Mart ? Todays cameras have a lot of settings that alther shutter speed and apperture etc to give good results that you may be confusing with a photoshopped image.

15. smokey

smokey Rockling

Well,at risk of making myself look like a t1t,this is an example of what i feel has been tampered with too much.If i'm wrong,i hold my hands up and apologise and will get me coat and shut me trap :hurt: :suspious: :happy: This is the first one i came across and in no way should be taken personally by anyone it concerns,the pic itself is a great one anyway,it just looks fake to the untrained eye when shown against a natural photo :happy: tight lines

Tried to cut and paste it but having no joy,it's the Hilston Pic in septembers competition,it's a superb picture by Kev,just to those with less knowledge of shutter speed etc,it looks over worked.

16. Supersonic

Smokey you're correct, it has been 'tampered' with. I took the image on program mode, which is an adjustable version of full automatic: the settings were worked out for me as they would be on any camera.

[​IMG]

However, I did take this photo for one reason and one reason only... to use with the software that I use for this type of image. I wanted to enhance it and this was my intention as I took it, and as such, I got what I aimed for... a general all round well illuminated image which would allow me to enhance detail in all areas using the software.

If I had just wanted to capture the sky, I could have had it looking almost exactly as it does in the 'tampered' pic, but this would have been at the expense of the detail and brightness of the cliff, beach and sea. By adjusting exposure and increasing shutter speed, as well as using settings to make the image more vivid with increased contrast I could have achieved an awesome sky - but as I said that wasn't exactly what I wanted. Also using the flash can pay dividends for some images like this, it lights to foreground and much darkens the background when used right.

17. Baramundi Bob

Its a very special picture though. I love taking pics of normal fishing situations but I would love to also be able to do something like that. You have quite a skill there. The image is quite surreal. Difficult to explain but Its almost like a cartoon or a how you would imagine something to be in a dream.

18. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

The only over photoshopped images I ve seen have not included any of the sunset/sunrise shots.............most camerasnowadays will allow exposure compensation to push a sky into a dramatic sunset/sunrise without any digital darkroom techniques.

This shot was taken on a day with a very bland slightly grey sky....the sky was photoshopped in and the foreground colour enhanced.....
    [​IMG]

19. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Kev have you done any 'infra red' type images....I had a play with some and they are cracking.....but probably best not entered either.....lol

Don't stop putting 'your' type of photographic work in the comp ,though at the end of the day they may not win as that is down to the voters, you still take some very good photgraphs and it's good of you to share your work....after all photography is an art and the shots let us into a little bit of the supersonic who takes them.

Cheers Jellyworm.

20. Supersonic

Really like the pic above mate :yes:

Could you post an example of one of your infrared's up? I have dabbled once or twice, but never seriously - mostly I have got a similar effect by accident when playing in the channel mixer during a mask application lol. Do you know any good tutorials online for it?

Maybe I was being a bit rash saying I wouldn't enter any more pics.... I dunno. Will see if I get any worthy ones sometime soon. I really want some good action pics, but mostly fishing on my own it's hard to do!!

You're right Dave it is an art, it's a great way of using a little expression :happy: I've got some really good ideas at the moment, but I need the right conditions... :cry: It's like that feeling of having an image planned in your head, then the times comes and you get it. It's rare everything goes perfectly to plan, but it's awesome when it does. Sometimes the pics going 'wrong' actually opens up different angles which you wouldn't have thought of. Love it.

I'm gonna put up a tutorial on how to do HDR on the forum sometime soon when I get chance. Would be great to see some other people on here have a shot. It's a great feeling when you've gone out and taken 5 or 6 shots with different exposures, then you see them blended together and they look the dogs. PM me if you need any 'info' about the software I use mate :wink: